Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page recording live shows
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.10.2006, 08:45 AM   #1
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
i always used minidisc up until now, which works very well. but after my 3rd md recorder in 3 years breaking, im thinking about changing to something else. im positive they are designed to fuck up as soon as the waranty expires.
plus there is no support for md on mac.

has anyone managed to make and good recordings on any mp3 players?
i heard ipods are a bit shit for this sort of thing.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 09:34 AM   #2
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
mini discs are the best so far. your just gonna have to take more care of it i am afraid. that could also be applied to everything in life when you think about it.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 09:36 AM   #3
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah minidisc for me too.The quality is good,it's easy to convert the whole thing into a file and they are easy to carry.Not to say that the editing is easier with them .

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 11:46 AM   #4
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
ok, maybe my first md broke from me being clumsy, but the two since then i have cared for like babies. kept them in the protective carry case and not dropped or done anything to them. and both are fucked.
i agree md is the best for recording gigs, but i really cant afford to give sony a standing order for 150 quid every two years.
and my mac problem makes me want to switch too.
it seems everybody md players fuck up. dont yours?
if i spend nearly £200 on something, i kinda expect it to last.

if anyone wants to open their md recorder up and tell me exactly where the overwrite head is supposed to be, i might be able to fix mine.
Old 08.10.2006, 11:48 AM   #5
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
£ 200????where did you pay that much for it?

Old 08.10.2006, 12:00 PM   #6
wax
the destroyed room

my 2nd md was pretty cheap, and it broke pretty fast so i thought id get some top notch fancy brand new one and hope it would last longer.
it did, a bit. actualy, it was cheaper than the uk price cuz i got my mate to send it me from japan, but ended up paying customs fees. i cant remember if that was what made it 200 or if the fee was on top of that.
either way, ive been done.
maybe the problem is with sony.
i should check out some other brands maybe.
Old 08.10.2006, 12:03 PM   #7
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I find that the older the minidisc player,the more reliable they can be.They might look like bricks but they do the job.My first one died outside the Barbican Centre while i was trying to record the water that was coming out of the fountain outside the building.I nearly fell into it myself.

Old 08.10.2006, 12:39 PM   #8
wax
the destroyed room

by the way,
im serious with my request of opening up you md player.
i cant find any decent pictures online of the bit i need to see.
Old 08.10.2006, 12:42 PM   #9
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
DAT

expensive but very professional
Old 08.10.2006, 12:45 PM   #10
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
my friend found one in a skip once. along with a drumkit and a skateboard. he piled all the stuff in the bass drum and wheeled it home. lucky fucker dont ya think!

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 12:54 PM   #11
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Lucky sod.

Old 08.10.2006, 01:14 PM   #12
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
a skip?
Old 08.10.2006, 03:07 PM   #13
wax
the destroyed room

its a bit like what you call a dumpster in america. only a bit different and made of metal and yellow.
Old 08.10.2006, 03:13 PM   #14
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

DUMPSTER DIVING!

you should have said so!
Old 08.10.2006, 04:01 PM   #15
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I've recorded a few moe shows (yeah dude, moe) with a friends Mini Disc player....they turned out pretty good, but now I just have a dresser full of mini discs with no mini disc player and I have no clue on how to get them on a computer and burn them to cd.....not that I really care.
Old 08.10.2006, 05:19 PM   #16
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
i always used minidisc up until now, which works very well. but after my 3rd md recorder in 3 years breaking, im thinking about changing to something else. im positive they are designed to fuck up as soon as the waranty expires.
plus there is no support for md on mac.

has anyone managed to make and good recordings on any mp3 players?
i heard ipods are a bit shit for this sort of thing.

ipods are fine for this but you need to hack them and put a linux os on it and then you can open it uo for 24/96 recording quality.

here are some protable flash recorders which are good quality

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...7&ParentId=114

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...4&ParentId=114
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2006, 05:21 PM   #17
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
DAT

expensive but very professional

Dat has been outdated in field recording for the last five years
Old 08.11.2006, 03:36 AM   #18
wax
the destroyed room

did you hack your ipod? i was reading something about this. i didnt really understand though as i know nothing about ipods.
is the hack easy to do?
whats 24/96? is that good?
how does it compare to md recordings?
ah, then what do you use to edit the recording? do ipods let you edit it? or do you need to import it into logic or cubase or something?

i heard that you can plug a mic into the headphone jack on an ipod. is this right?

why the fuck dont apple sell the damn things already set up for it if its so easy? i would already have one if they just sorted themselves out.
Old 08.11.2006, 03:45 AM   #19
wax
the destroyed room

the R-09 looks great.
now, if only i wasnt a pauper.
Old 08.11.2006, 11:15 AM   #20
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
did you hack your ipod? i was reading something about this. i didnt really understand though as i know nothing about ipods.
is the hack easy to do?
whats 24/96? is that good?
how does it compare to md recordings?
ah, then what do you use to edit the recording? do ipods let you edit it? or do you need to import it into logic or cubase or something?

i heard that you can plug a mic into the headphone jack on an ipod. is this right?

why the fuck dont apple sell the damn things already set up for it if its so easy? i would already have one if they just sorted themselves out.

24/96 is 24 bit and a 96 khz sampling rate. think of sampling rates like film. the standard became 44.1 khz because that was the point where the ability to capture audio data became smooth and with clarity. it is outdated now but cd's are still mastered to 44.1 khz which is 44100 samples per second. as with film the standard became 24 frames per second because this is tha rate where jitter dissappeared.

24/96 is alot better than any MD recording. MD's record at a fairly similar rate to an mp3 at 320kbps so there is some compression added to make the data fit onto the disk. if you were to record at 24/96 on a mini disk you would only get about 20 mins worth of material onto a disk, however because the compression is built in to most md records there is no getting past this. only highend pro MD recorders can record at CD quality but no-one does this becuase the freedom of editing and the time you can fit on a disk is pointless.

no you cannot edit with an ipod, the question is why would you. you can rip it straight to your computer and edit in audacity, cubase, digital performer, protools, cake walk what ever you want or have.

yes you can get a mic to plug straight into an ipod, but for recording shows in the way i think that you want to, the quality of the mics on the market for this are pretty damn average, however if you have stereo jacks to a mini jack you can do perfectly releasable quality recordings in an engineer will give you a stereo feed from the desk.

apple don't sell the ipods already set up this purely for stategic business partnership reasons, griffin who make alot of the accessories are in bed with them. also it avoids apple having any legal issues arise from people bootlegging shows. because the whole file sharing napster issues of 10 years ago would move across to the portable device industry. people that own portable music devices on the whole won't buy things like flash ram recorders to record shows, but if the whole population of the portable music device owners such as ipods had the ability to bootleg anything at high quality there would be a mass of legal issues arise and they would be made to change their systems anyway.

and yes it is not that hard to hack the ipod, i tried it on a friends and it was fine but it is hard to recover back to standard after the linux format. i haven't worried about doing this on my own because i have access to all the equipment i need.

hope that has answered your questions.

edit: most good soundcards now can do 24/192 and this is shorty to be superseeded by the new sony Direct Stream Digital system that samples at 2.4 ghz. this means that digital recordings will get close to the tonal quality and frequency depth that analogue can do. a good recording that demonstrates this is Orff's Carmina Burana conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas of the San Fran Cisco Symphony Orchestra and director of the American Mavericks music festival (the recording is done with the Cleveland Orchestra and is the best recordings of this piece that I have ever heard. Sony Classical SK92602.

terminal pharmacy

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth