Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Guitar Pedal Question
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.06.2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Isoflurane
bad moon rising

Isoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to behold
Hey dudes.
I'm in the market for a sort of clean/overdrive gain booster. I want it for the purpose of driving my amp harder, and having the tubes break up instead of a Distortion pedal. I'm sick of Fuzz/Distortion. I like my Muff though.
I've found/tried a couple of options:
1. The Xotic RC booster (The best, but it's $200 used!!)
2. The Voodo Labs Sparkle Drive (Very nice, $80 used, but it's not as good as the RC)
3. BBE Gain pedal ($30 used, sounds like shit)

I'm wondering
if y'all have any other things I should check out. I've never had the opportunity to try the MXR micro amp, but I probably should, eh?
Does ZVex make a nice gain booster?
Let me know DaWgZzZzzZZZzZzZZzZzZzZ
RoFl TTyL OMG ROTFFLMMFAO FWIW IMHO!!
- John
PS LOL
Old 08.06.2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
For Zvex, isn't that what the Super Hard-On does, or am I mistaken?
That's gonna be pricey too.
I would just bite the bullet and get the one you really want. If that's what you need, the price will be worth it in satisfaction.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Isoflurane
bad moon rising

Isoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to behold
Yeah I just checked on the Zvex. I think I'm going to check one out at encore
tomorrow after work.
Have you tried the MXR Micro Amp? I'm going to check that out tomorrow as well.
Old 08.06.2006, 10:18 PM   #4
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't, but they look intriguing.
I only have the Fuzz Factory, which I like, but have been using less and less of late. Got it in 2001, I think.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 08:22 AM   #5
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
what exactly does the overdrive pedal do?

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 10:37 AM   #6
raging_nelly
stalker

raging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's assesraging_nelly kicks all y'all's asses
ProCo Turbo Rat?

www.myspace.com/myboyslashmygirl

www.dischordmusic.blogspot.com

raging_nelly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 12:11 PM   #7
holy-reverb!!
children of satan

holy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of light
there are alot of good boosters out there but they all cost the same as the R.C. or even more. If you wont a booster with a great sound, you will have to spend more then $150, unless there is something amazing out there that I dont know about. The hard on is amazing, one of the better newer designs. I never tried the micro amp but i heard its a good booster for the money.

holy-reverb!! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 09:20 PM   #8
Isoflurane
bad moon rising

arrrgh............................................ ...............
I went to get a bike today.
I'll go look at pedals tomorrow.......................................... ........
I'lllllllll fillllllllllllll youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu in................................................ ..................................
-John
Old 08.07.2006, 09:27 PM   #9
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
It ain't a pedal but you could look into an attenuator:
I plan on buying one of these for my DeVille.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&item=200001950596&rd =1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Or just use your Fender Champ full blast at all times - that thing sounded pretty fucking sick.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2006, 11:15 AM   #10
Isoflurane
bad moon rising

I'm getting a Super Hard on.
Very sweet shit.
Old 08.12.2006, 04:13 PM   #11
holy-reverb!!
children of satan

holy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of light
check this out. a new booster by MXR and bon bradshaw.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?p...p_and_e_detail

holy-reverb!! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2006, 10:52 AM   #12
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Electro-Harmonix is reissuing the LPB-1. It is passive, tiny, and has no knobs I believe. It's going to be like 50 bucks.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth