Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Dig!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.13.2006, 06:29 AM   #1
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses

the Film about The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols..

i saw this last weekend and was quietly impressed by it...

anyone else?
Old 07.13.2006, 06:54 AM   #2
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i saw it at the cinema when it first came out, ive seen the dandys and the BJM live twice, both are excellent bands, the BJM are really nice guys too i met them after the show and they were really sweet, invited everyone backstage etc.

I'd say i prefer the dandys, although the BJM are amazing live. both band are great live they play for hours and hours, when i saw the dandys the doors opened at 7 and they were on at 7.45, no support act and they played untill 11. they only had one break where they just sat on the stage for 5 mins and had a cigarette.
im not sure what the situation between both bands is at the moment, i noticed Matt Hollywood was on tour with tha dandys a few months ago, so they must be friends, but i doubt Anton and Courtney spend much time together since Anton lives in new york and Courtney lives in portland.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 06:57 AM   #3
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
there are a few other threads like this one
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...=dandy+warhols
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...=dandy+warhols

also, if your into rock documentarys you should check out Fearless Freaks about the flaming lips, now thats a documentary!!!!!
Old 07.13.2006, 07:29 AM   #4
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
There's a link between BJM and The Warlocks isn't there? The Warlocks are a damn fine band.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 07:30 AM   #5
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
There's a link between BJM and The Warlocks isn't there? The Warlocks are a damn fine band.
I'm in love with you.Whips of mercy is my favourite song of theirs,fuck it's so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so GORGEOUS!

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 12:10 PM   #6
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
I saw on IFC a while ago. Quite a good movie.

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 06:15 PM   #7
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
i met the singer from bjm in a pub in manchester before thier gig there a few weeks back and being oblivious to who he was asked him if he was going to the gig that night-hilarious! my finest moment
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 06:21 PM   #8
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic sphere
i met the singer from bjm in a pub in manchester before thier gig there a few weeks back and being oblivious to who he was asked him if he was going to the gig that night-hilarious! my finest moment

ha ha ha what did he say?, the only member of the band i dont really like is ricky maymie (sp?). hes a total prick!
Old 07.13.2006, 06:58 PM   #9
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, Dig is a great docoumentary. I got the American import about a year ago as a gift - wonderful gift.

I really like both bands, too. I've been listening to alot of BJM lately. I've finally found their albums in my local. Anton is an amazing songwriter.
Old 07.13.2006, 07:45 PM   #10
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
I thought it was a great movie and got me into the BJM's music. I've liked the Dandys for a while now too.
Old 07.13.2006, 10:29 PM   #11
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
I never bought any Dandy albums but I like the songs Ive heard from them. I really like BJM and have several albums, but have yet to see them live. On my list of bands to see though.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2006, 11:44 PM   #12
contort:myself
little trouble girl

contort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to behold
this movie's pretty cringeworthy, like an episode of the office staring a bunch of wannabe rockstars. "you broke my sitar, motherfucker" was a cathcphrase in my band for a while. all in all it works well as a comedy, although i guess that's not the intent.

the dandys come off way more douchebaggy i'd have to say. the anton guy is an asshat, but at least it's funny. the dandys dude just comes off as really unlikeable and lame.

http://75orlessrecords.com
our record label
buy our latest album
so that they can pay us
contort:myself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 12:01 AM   #13
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Don't agree with your post at all.
Old 07.14.2006, 12:10 AM   #14
contort:myself
little trouble girl

contort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to beholdcontort:myself is a splendid one to behold
fair enough

http://75orlessrecords.com
our record label
buy our latest album
so that they can pay us
contort:myself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 01:42 AM   #15
foldback
bad moon rising

foldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to allfoldback is a name known to all
I have this DVD, and it really turned me on to BJM. Even though their leader comes out looking completely nuts and unlikable, they were just too good to ignore.

As for the film itself, as others have said, it's done very, very well. Sort of a lesson in how not to be band.
foldback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2006, 02:58 AM   #16
Norma J
invito al cielo

It does portray Anton as abit of a nutta, and although, yes, he did do what was in the film, like he said, it focused alot on certain negative incidents. The drug incident, too, the drugs were Ondi's, not Anton's, yet in the film it say's Anton got busted for drugs.
I also think it's cool how Courtney Taylor-taylor holds Anton in a grand light, even though the BJM treated the Dandy's quite bad sometimes.
The BJM is basically just Anton nowadays, but they still thank and mention the Dandy's, so I think all that hostility and conflict has kind of passed.
anyway, they both make great records.

I love Antons line when asked if Matt Hollywood was still in the band after a fight: "I don't know, I don't look after 26 year old men for a living" or something along the lines. HAHA.
Old 07.14.2006, 05:33 AM   #17
screamingskull
invito al cielo

"you broke my sitar, motherfucker!"
ha ha ha ha ha
Old 07.14.2006, 08:29 AM   #18
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
"you broke my sitar, motherfucker!"
ha ha ha ha ha

yeah yeah! love that bit.
Old 07.14.2006, 08:33 AM   #19
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey
yeah yeah! love that bit.

Anton looks like a complete fucking moron in that movie, when he goes up to that secutary at capitol records and starts saying "are you ready, your jobs going to be so much harder, im going to be making this place so much money!"

sad thing is he's kind of like that in real life, hes talented but he know's it too much, kind of like Courtney taylor taylor does but cortneys not as annoying or smug.
Old 07.14.2006, 03:29 PM   #20
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
ha ha ha what did he say?, the only member of the band i dont really like is ricky maymie (sp?). hes a total prick!

he told me his name was elton! he just said "erm yeah". i should have figured who it was, he was wearing a funny hunting hat and had lots of people hanging around him and shaking his hand every 5 seconds! he seemed pretty out of it
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth