Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page uuuuuu - the astral travels
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.05.2010, 04:23 PM   #1
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
So while all of you were devouring the new split with Robe., I've been working for a long time on the album I've finally entitled THE ASTRAL TRAVELS. It has honestly took me a year to record this and now I feel exhausted both physically and creatively at the amount of work I've put into this. I'm quite shocked at the amount of detail I've threw into these long slabs of ambience and I truly think it's my best work by far. I have come a long way since I started this project back when I was 15 and didn't know how to work recording equipment, and I really think I've refined my sound and completely matured in the way I approach music. I now fully understand WHAT makes music interesting (for me anyway) and I've used that to the best of my ability.

One gripe I've had with a lot of ambient/drone music is that some of it is just the one tone throughout a 10 minute or whatever duration. And that's all good but not really interesting in the long run... so I've tried my hardest to look at my music from a compositional level and morph the pieces to work as a real piece of music rather than 'jamming out' as a lot of people describe it. The album is quite heavy at first, what with the 75 minute runtime and the fact most of the tracks go over the 10 minute mark but I've put a lot of work into this and I'd like to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks.

97mb zip file...
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LUQY7MZL
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2010, 04:24 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
YEAH EVERYONE geT THIS

I listened to it while playing this game:

and it was a bizarrely heavenly experience..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks Derek. Looking forward to hearing it. I'm with you on the compositional thing with drone.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Also, if you're up for it, there's a slim chance that another few names will be added to Supernormal. Let me know via Facebook if you'd like to play and I'll see if I can do anything about it.
Old 08.05.2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Downloading... thanks a bunch Derek!
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2010, 04:56 PM   #6
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Also, if you're up for it, there's a slim chance that another few names will be added to Supernormal. Let me know via Facebook if you'd like to play and I'll see if I can do anything about it.
Damn that'd be awesome but there's no way for me to travel down there and I don't have the equipment to pull this stuff off live. I've been getting quite a few offers though so I should really do something about that. Thanks anyway!

And thanks for people checking it ouuuuuut.
Old 08.05.2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Dude, you've got a few weeks. If you want to wing it, there's plenty of people playing who'd happily pitch in (myself included). Have an ad-hoc Supernormal UUUUUU supergroup. G'wan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Derek
invito al cielo

School starts a few days before it happens though. If you guys do it next year though I'm 100% in.

Plus I'll be 18 next year which will help make it more possible for me to travel all the way down there without interference from er, parents and the like.
Old 08.05.2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Fucking hell. I didn't realise you were that side of being young. You should be out taking drugs and fucking people while they're still firm. Get off the internet, go get diseases young man.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 08.05.2010, 06:10 PM   #10
Derek
invito al cielo

Hahaha yeah people assume I'm a lot older (in real life and on the internet!).

I started UUUUUU 2 years ago when I was 15 even! I wonder what it'll sound like when I turn 21 and start to descend into death.
Old 08.05.2010, 06:25 PM   #11
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
dood! quite excited to hear this! I really dug the stuff on the Robe./UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU split.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2010, 06:34 PM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Hahaha yeah people assume I'm a lot older (in real life and on the internet!).

I started UUUUUU 2 years ago when I was 15 even! I wonder what it'll sound like when I turn 21 and start to descend into death.

It's kind of odd that you'd be making this music, for me. It's quite similar to a lot of the Kranky/ Static Caravan stuff from the late-90s. Not in a detrimental, derivative way. I just sort of assumed that you were of the Peel generation rather than the internet generation, if that makes sense. It's like one of those records from the time when 'post-rock' was the less popular term for space rock. Then again, I wasn't really there for shoegaze, I'm sure people older than me could say the same about that. Possibly.

But yeah, it's a good record - one of those ones I'd like to have on wax and have a really decent production/ mastering on it and put on at ridiculous volume. Have you hassled any labels about putting it out? If not, you should.

Quote:
Old 08.05.2010, 06:43 PM   #13
Derek
invito al cielo

Yeah I'll be throwing it out to labels soon enough, the good people at SYG are always the first to hear my stuff though haha. Hopefully labels will be interested considering the split with Robe. comes out on dream root recordings soon (Adam, any word on that?) and 'Prescient' should be getting released on cassette by an upcoming label in the next few months. Thanks for the opinion!
Old 08.05.2010, 07:00 PM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Derek - Let's open a paypal account and we can donate a fiver each ( no? Convert currency accordingly) to buy equipment and shit.
Old 08.05.2010, 07:02 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Musicians charity, good plan. Someone should set up a label for SYG-related stuff. Not me, I can't be fucked with it. But someone. Diesel first though, please.

Quote:
Old 08.05.2010, 07:09 PM   #16
Glice
invito al cielo

Just as an aside, I'd suggest moving 'Kindred...' to a different place on the album because it starts very similarly to 'Falling...', but in a different key (minor third difference, I think?), which gives less of an impression of distinguishing the same tracks. I wouldn't normally criticise sequencing - and it's a good record - but I think this sort of stuff can very easily suffer from sounding 'samey', so I'd say it's worth avoiding.

Quote:
Old 08.05.2010, 07:24 PM   #17
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Ok, let's do something with this forum that is more ''real''. Receipt of poverty at hand, please.
Old 08.05.2010, 07:28 PM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

See, it'd definitely something I'd be interested in doing, but I'd get pissed off because then I'd have to tell some people that their music's just shit. Derek (subject of this thread) not included. As it is, I can just politely not bother. So atsonicpark should do it, as he's always going on about being loaded and doesn't seem capable of disliking anything.

Quote:
Old 08.05.2010, 07:36 PM   #19
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I should co-ordinate this. Let me think of a way that could make everyone happy and egos at bay.
Old 08.05.2010, 08:34 PM   #20
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I'm really, really, really enjoying The French Eye.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth