Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Wendy Carlos (formerly Walter Carlos)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.31.2009, 08:10 PM   #1
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
So, the other day I was thinking about Stanley Kubric films, A Clockwork Orange in particular. I remember the soundtrack having some crazy synthesized Beethoven. My wife happened to have the soundtrack, which mentions in the liner notes that the synthesizer stuff was created by Walter Carlos.
I looked up Walter Carlos, discovering that she became Wendy Carlos in 1972.
Her debut album was Switched-On Bach (1968), and was the first classical album to sell over 500,000 copies and later go platinum. I downloaded this along with her second album The Well-Tempered Synthesizer (1969), and her original score for A Clockwork Orange (when you download this, be sure to change the name of the zip file before unzipping it if you have Windows Vista).
This stuff is extremely cool! Download, discuss.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2009, 08:33 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I love it, heard it years ago. She did something else I loved.. it was called like Tales of Heaven or Hell or something.

Haha, "Well-Tempered Synthesizer"... just realized that's a "Well-Tuned Piano" reference, duh at me.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2009, 08:44 PM   #3
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Actually, I think it's a play on Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier.
Facebook

Old 01.31.2009, 08:48 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
OH!

Well shit!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2009, 09:20 PM   #5
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

Oh hey, I found that album Tales of Heaven and Hell, and also one called Secrets of Synthesis
Facebook

Old 02.01.2009, 12:28 AM   #6
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah my dad has the vinyl of walter carlos haha and on the CD it's WENDY. I remember hearing that story when I was little. I think it's one of the first times I heard of people changing their sex.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2009, 01:47 AM   #7
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I have the Clockwork Orange soundtrack on Vinyl, it's credited to Walter. I found it extremely confusing at first.
Old 02.01.2009, 06:05 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Haha, "Well-Tempered Synthesizer"... just realized that's a "Well-Tuned Piano" reference, duh at me.

For fuck's sake.

I've heard the music above. It's all shit, completely shit. But thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2009, 05:02 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
I think that there is a bit of info on this either on the Moog documentary (good), or the Moogfest video (not as good)

The analog synth is a beast of an instrument, and did take some tempering to be sure. Perhaps why early synth music sounds a bit unbearable. I'm sure it was very very strange at the time, epecially for the artists, musicians, and general sound explorers. People were literally scared of them. Neat!

The thing is, there's a pretty large difference between the sort of majesty that Oskar Sala did and the novelty synthesiser shite that this thread's about. I'm not saying early synths didn't scare the bejeebus out of people, but I'm confident it wasn't Wendy/ Walter. I mean, there's the Doctor Who theme, and there's a Bach fugue rendered appallingly, and ne'er the twain shall meet.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.02.2009, 12:18 AM   #10
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i have the well tempered synthetizer and switched on bach on vinyl (recent additions) and the clockwork orange soundtrack on tape (it's actually my mom's).

sure it's a fucking novelty but it's funny in a way, the clockwork theme is something else entirely, one of my favorite pieces of music.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2009, 01:00 AM   #11
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i have the well tempered synthetizer and switched on bach on vinyl (recent additions) and the clockwork orange soundtrack on tape (it's actually my mom's).

sure it's a fucking novelty but it's funny in a way, the clockwork theme is something else entirely, one of my favorite pieces of music.

Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement. The Bach stuff is pretty dated and amusing for it. The stuff on Clockwork is great. My favorite track from it is actually "Timesteps", which I've always thought was really brilliant.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2009, 11:45 AM   #12
WHOREOHSCOPE
children of satan

WHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's assesWHOREOHSCOPE kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
I have the Clockwork Orange soundtrack on Vinyl, it's credited to Walter. I found it extremely confusing at first.

Definitely , no clue about this information... until seeing this thread.

I must look further into Carlos existence besides A Clockwork Orange soundtrack and have always felt compelled to.....
WHOREOHSCOPE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2009, 11:55 AM   #13
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Almost bid on one of his/her records the other day actually, but I thought classical compositions on the synthesizer sounded a bit... gimmicky and cheap

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2009, 12:08 PM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
Almost bid on one of his/her records the other day actually, but I thought classical compositions on the synthesizer sounded a bit... gimmicky and cheap

You should be able to find it in charity shop bins, if you're interested. It's one of those, like Herb Alpert, shows up all the time.

Quote:
Old 02.15.2009, 12:10 PM   #15
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
"Sonic Seasonings" is pretty great if you can find it in good conditon.

Clockwork Orange OST is also a favorite of mine.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth