Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Guitar Shops
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.27.2008, 09:55 AM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Despite the fact that I'm officially the worst guitar player in the world, I'm looking to buy a new amp. Anyway, being crap I fucking hate the whole trauma of having to try stuff out in front of a load of mini-Jirk Hamnetts. Any tips on ways of overcoming this phobia would be most appreciated.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2008, 09:59 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Just learn to tremolo pick. Then almost anything you play will sound cool and will make other guitar players go, "Oh okay, he's a surf or black metal guitarist, I get it."

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2008, 10:02 AM   #4
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
erm, what is 'tremelo picking'?
Old 06.27.2008, 10:03 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremolo_picking

Again, it's in pretty much every surf and black metal song ever.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2008, 10:05 AM   #6
sarramkrop

Tottenham Court Road, of course. When you try out the instruments everyone generally leaves you alone.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2008, 10:09 AM   #7
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Atsonicpark^^Fuck me, that's brilliant. I just had a go at it and it sounded shit but I did sort of feel like I was in Emperor for about thirty seconds. I'm so gonna practice that enough to try it in a shop, then probably burn a church afterwards. I owe you a pint for that. Brilliant. or, erm, Hail!
Old 06.27.2008, 10:15 AM   #8
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Tottenham Court Road, of course. When you try out the instruments everyone generally leaves you alone.

Usually you're right, but for some reason the guitar blokes are all over you when you try out amps, insisting that they talk you through all the stuff it can do.

It's even worse for girls I think. I saw one the other day who was a beginner, but not at all bad really, in a sort of Oasis-Brit Pop kind of a way. Anyway, she was trying out an Epiphone and this complete cunt of an assistant physically took it out of her hands in order to show her what it could really do. I was fucking horrified, not least because he decided to shred on it, when it was pretty obvious from what she was playing that shredding was not gonna exactly be a priority in her guitar requirements.

For some reason I never had this problem with basses. Besides, everyone knows that you just have to remember the bassline to Psycho Killer and you're away.
Old 06.27.2008, 10:26 AM   #9
sarramkrop

I never experencied that. I can see it happening, though.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2008, 10:31 AM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I assume you mostly try out keyboard/electronic equipment, which is far more civillised. Guitar shops are run by the most annoying breed of arseholes I can think of. If I ever have a daughter and she wants to date an assistant in a guitar shop, I'll ground her for a month. Or buy her a bass (a far more refined instrument, I have to say).
Old 06.27.2008, 10:33 AM   #11
sarramkrop

Occasionally I've tried guitars too. I think you're right, though, when you walk into a guitar shop you seem more observed.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2008, 11:04 AM   #12
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Usually you're right, but for some reason the guitar blokes are all over you when you try out amps, insisting that they talk you through all the stuff it can do.

It's even worse for girls I think. I saw one the other day who was a beginner, but not at all bad really, in a sort of Oasis-Brit Pop kind of a way. Anyway, she was trying out an Epiphone and this complete cunt of an assistant physically took it out of her hands in order to show her what it could really do. I was fucking horrified, not least because he decided to shred on it, when it was pretty obvious from what she was playing that shredding was not gonna exactly be a priority in her guitar requirements.

For some reason I never had this problem with basses. Besides, everyone knows that you just have to remember the bassline to Psycho Killer and you're away.

i have a problem with people in guitar shops and i don't know if it's because i'm a girl or what, but they leave me alone when i show THEM what the guitar can really do... guitar center (i don't think those exist anywhere outside the US, though) is the worst, i think. probably anyone who's been there will agree.

and for the record, psycho killer was the first thing i ever played on bass.
Old 06.27.2008, 11:05 AM   #13
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Guitar shops are horrible the world round. Here their either run by wannabe metal players or bluegrass musicians. I called a guitar shop 2 days ago to ask if they had any jazzmasters in stock and the guy was like "yeah. we've got one. it's a j...mah...meh...mas..mask.." so I asked "is it purple?" "yeah. yeah, it's purple"
Old 06.27.2008, 12:30 PM   #14
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i have a problem with people in guitar shops and i don't know if it's because i'm a girl or what, but they leave me alone when i show THEM what the guitar can really do...

You never cease to amaze me. Either you're a total fucking legend or the biggest prat on earth. I could be lazy and say probably a bit of both, but no. You're definitely one or the other.
Old 06.27.2008, 12:34 PM   #15
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You never cease to amaze me. Either you're a total fucking legend or the biggest prat on earth. I could be lazy and say probably a bit of both, but no. You're definitely one or the other.
i never said i could play guitar well, i just know how to make a lot of crazy fucked up noises on it and the guitar center people seem to be quite taken aback by it

really a lot of what i say is terribly misinterpereted
Old 06.27.2008, 12:36 PM   #16
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Guitar shops are horrible the world round. Here their either run by wannabe metal players or bluegrass musicians. I called a guitar shop 2 days ago to ask if they had any jazzmasters in stock and the guy was like "yeah. we've got one. it's a j...mah...meh...mas..mask.." so I asked "is it purple?" "yeah. yeah, it's purple"

Oh well, I had one the other day tell me that Fenders aren't the way to go if I was into Rock n Roll stuff. I didn't hang around long enough for him to start showing me his BC Rich selection. Moron.
Old 06.27.2008, 12:37 PM   #17
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i have a problem with people in guitar shops and i don't know if it's because i'm a girl or what, but they leave me alone when i show THEM what the guitar can really do...

badass.

I haven't had this problem. But what pisses me off are the fucking store clerks in stores around here. I swear, whenever I want to try something out they're always like 'Ohh I'll let you try it if you promis me you will buy', what the fuck?!?!?! I fucking hate those guys.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2008, 12:41 PM   #18
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
i never said i could play guitar well, i just know how to make a lot of crazy fucked up noises on it and the guitar center people seem to be quite taken aback by it

really a lot of what i say is terribly misinterpereted

Don't apologise, I was paying you a compliment. At least i thought I was.

You're a total fucking legend, with a twist of prat, just to keep us all on our toes. Howzat?
Old 06.27.2008, 01:29 PM   #19
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I think Sam Ash is worse than Guitar Center, but I have a hunch they're not exactly competitors.

As for playing in the store, it's really just something you need to take into stride. Me and my friend aren't the greatest guitarists, but when we try stuff out we don't even acknowledge the workers' existence and they stay well away. If anyone comes near us, we make it clear that we're fine. It's just like anywhere else with pushy sales.

As for the guitar being taken out of her hands, that's literally terrible service. You could actually complain about that. I've never seen it before, though.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.27.2008, 01:29 PM   #20
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Don't apologise, I was paying you a compliment. At least i thought I was.

You're a total fucking legend, with a twist of prat, just to keep us all on our toes. Howzat?
oh okay well thank you then. i didn't realise it was a compliment.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth