Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page in case you have never seen urban/modern Ethiopia, here are some drive thru videos
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.30.2008, 02:14 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NApmzpYBqxk# [Mekelle]
Video Harar - harar, ethiopia
Dire Dawa - Google Video
Arba Minch - Google Video
YouTube - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Addis Ababa Ethiopia 2007
wel come to dire dawa ,dengego road
Jimma - Ethiopia

[Dire Dawa]

[Harar]

[Jimma]

[Mekelle]

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 02:24 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
a lot more attractive then all of the famine and huts they show you in the media. people don't realize that Africa has modern cities like everywhere else, and that milions and millions of Africans wake up every morning to the same world we do, because that is rather boring. We would like to romanticize africa as a great wilderness, when in truth, there is much more land set aside for wilderness and recreation in the US then in Africa, and further people dont want to see African cities on the TV, they want to see huts, because they can look outside the window to see the shity.

I am hoping to live in Jimma or Mikelle within the next two years.

Old 05.30.2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
That's really interesting and rather satisfying. The world isn't quite as shit as thought.

Still, they don't look that nice. The architecture is very cold and characterless.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 08:21 PM   #4
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I just watched the videos of Mekelle and Jimma. Agree with Lurker on both points. Not all mudhuts and Bob Geldof, but equally not places that I'd consider that exciting either. Mekelle in particular seems quite anaemic. Saying that, the video seems like a bit of a tourist-board job, so probably not showing the more interesting side.

Either way, I sincerely hope you get there. Everyone deserves to live in the place they most want to.

Have you visited any of these places already?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.30.2008, 09:42 PM   #5
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I just watched the videos of Mekelle and Jimma. Agree with Lurker on both points. Not all mudhuts and Bob Geldof, but equally not places that I'd consider that exciting either. Mekelle in particular seems quite anaemic. Saying that, the video seems like a bit of a tourist-board job, so probably not showing the more interesting side.

Either way, I sincerely hope you get there. Everyone deserves to live in the place they most want to.

yes, these things come a surprise to most, and were quite the surprise years ago when I first seen them and knew the truth of the matter.

Old 05.31.2008, 02:27 AM   #6
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

"...not all mudhuts and Bob Geldof"

you're cracking me up, haha

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2008, 02:30 AM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i grew up in a 3rd world country

i bet i got a better education than most of you mutts

ha ha ha

ok im 100% mutt just saying
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2008, 04:34 AM   #8
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
If you can afford it, I'm sure you can get a top grade education in a third world country
Old 05.31.2008, 04:37 AM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I'm just wondering how easy a place like Ethiopia would be to live in for anyone used to the conveniences of American/Western living. I'd be very cautious of actually relocating there before visiting the country first. Maybe SuchFriends... should get in contact with an NGO, or similar, so he can work there for a short period and assess his possibilities before making such a big leap.
Old 05.31.2008, 04:01 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm just wondering how easy a place like Ethiopia would be to live in for anyone used to the conveniences of American/Western living. I'd be very cautious of actually relocating there before visiting the country first. Maybe SuchFriends... should get in contact with an NGO, or similar, so he can work there for a short period and assess his possibilities before making such a big leap.

I have more contact info and job offers across Ethiopia then here, and aside from this, right now I have no less then three close people living in Addis in 4 bedroom houses nearly empty! this is a serious matter, moving to another continent is no joke

Old 05.31.2008, 04:27 PM   #11
demonrail666
invito al cielo

What's the food like? I've had food from other parts of Africa but got put off because they seem to put peanuts in everything.
Old 05.31.2008, 04:36 PM   #12
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Ethiopian food is great, but watch out with that Injera bread! It expands in your stomach. Gotta take it easy. So tasty though.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.31.2008, 05:40 PM   #13
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Ethiopian food is great, but watch out with that Injera bread! It expands in your stomach. Gotta take it easy. So tasty though.

yeah I dont like injera, I prefer Dabo, which is Ethiopian wheat bread, it is seasoned similar to injera so it is a bit tastier then average wheat bread.

the food, is spicy, but in a good way, unless you get mit'mi'ta, that shit is like wasabi fried red curry.

the way to go is berbere which is powdered Ethiopian peppers, garlic, basil, rue seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and Bishop's weed. a mellow spicy like a more intense yellow curry. its in everything.

Old 05.31.2008, 06:30 PM   #14
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Don't let too many people see that picture. Geldof will be out of a job if the masses start realising the 'fricans are eating proper meals.

Best play it safe, for the 'dof's sake:

Old 05.31.2008, 06:35 PM   #15
demonrail666
invito al cielo

There's an Ethiopian restaurant along from me that I tried to order a take away from once. I gave up because the bloke behind the counter (who seemed like a nice enough fellow) couldn't understand a word I was saying. Even when I pointed to things on this big picture style menu up on the wall he just smiled and shook his head. One of my most surreal moments in a fooderie, I have to say. I suppose I'm gonna have to learn how to point in Ethiopian if I ever want to order anything from there in the future. Bizarre.

Edit: Hey, I've just realised. If SuchFriends... moves to 'frica, he's gonna have to start watching this:

instead of this:

Christ, the more I think about it, the more I see it as a step up.I have to say!
Old 06.02.2008, 02:04 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Don't let too many people see that picture. Geldof will be out of a job if the masses start realising the 'fricans are eating proper meals.

Best play it safe, for the 'dof's sake:

amen!

[though the truth be told, while it is important to inform the world that millions of africans live in modern, convenient, even border-line middle class, in Ethiopian this season upwards of 6 million people are facing famine, and of course this is not geography's fault, it is Meles Zenawi combined with geography=famine, add the media and you get a one-sided vision of africa.

the point of this thread was to try to expose people a more pluralistic vision of Africa and Ethiopia. it that regard, I think it was a success

Old 06.02.2008, 03:45 PM   #17
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
A nice thread indeed. Thanks suchfriends. I met some guys from Ethiopia in Baltimore, they seemed much nicer and more modest like the Kenyan dudes (that represented the majority of foreign people in the hood I lived in).

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2008, 04:02 PM   #18
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
gotta love those futbol after parties, right?

Old 06.02.2008, 04:18 PM   #19
demonrail666
invito al cielo

'i think that most of Africa is cast in quite a singular fashion, largely because the only time it makes our news is when a civil war or famine takes place: hence the stereotype that it's a continent filled with starving people and weak political structures.

The 'dof and Mandela put Ethiopia and South Africa respectively onto the world map, but in so doing secured for a very long time and for an awful lot of people the way in which those countries are now perceived.

This is even going on the States. Katrina has now defined New Orleans for an awful lot of people (at least wthin Britain) who knew almost nothing about the place before - besides maybe some vague notion about Mardi Gras, old jazz and those lovely houses in A Streetcar Named Desire.
Old 06.02.2008, 10:16 PM   #20
Prisstina
the end of the ugly

Prisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's asses
pisses me off a bit when i mention to someone how wonderful ethiopian food is and i'm given the reply "they don't have any!"

it really is wonderful, but yeah, injera will lie in your stomach like a lead pellet.

Prisstina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth