Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page So I am going to get baptised and given a new name.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.28.2008, 02:24 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

I have been attending the Ethiopian Orthodox Church every sunday for two years now. I have been studying deeply the teachings and history of Orthodox Christianity for at least 8 years now. I have learned a major portion of the Ethiopian Liturgy, a chant in an ancient language that even Ethiopians have no understanding of aside from the Priests. Further, this Church and this Ethiopian community have given me fulfillment and joy like nothing else in my entire life, and I must continue on. So anyways, I am also a dreadlock Rastaman, and as such, I have interesting interactions with people on the street to say the least. Last wed, coincidently of the Holy Week in the Eastern Church, this cool security guard at the Market i go to every week, hit me up and asked me about Rasta and reggae. When I told saluted him properly and exchanged names, as "Chris" he was like, "Chris? What kind of name is that?" I say, "I dont know what you mean, that is the one my momma gave me..." he says, "no no, you should have changed it already, isn't that what y'all [I think he meant Rastafari people] do?" so I say, "well actually I am just waiting to get baptised in the Ethiopian Church, they will give me a new name then." We then proceed to have a long chat about Ethiopians, turns out he also works security on weekends at an Ethiopian club where they spin reggae of all things! small world...

the next night I have a dream where I am talking with the Archbishop of the Ethiopian Church, Abune Melketsedek, who was in fact Emperor Haile Selassie I's personal priest in the 1970s, and whom I met in January and received a wonderful hug, blessing and conversation with [he is apparantly a bishop of specializes in dealing with Rastafari people]. In my dream he tells me very clearly, it is time to get baptised. The next night I also dream that I am having a similar conversation with my Abba at my local parish, who tells me the same thing. so, next month when the schedule is open, I will be getting baptised into the Tewahedo Ethiopian Orthodox Church, and a council of no less then three priest will chant around, say a dozen prayers and then bestow me with a new name, different from the one I have had these past twenty four years. It feels good to embrace this new identity and become fully invested in this community which I have been working for years towards helping. I also graduate from university in Dec with a degree in Ethiopian History.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 03:15 PM   #2
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

I have been attending the Ethiopian Orthodox Church every sunday for two years now. I have been studying deeply the teachings and history of Orthodox Christianity for at least 8 years now. I have learned a major portion of the Ethiopian Liturgy, a chant in an ancient language that even Ethiopians have no understanding of aside from the Priests. Further, this Church and this Ethiopian community have given me fulfillment and joy like nothing else in my entire life, and I must continue on. So anyways, I am also a dreadlock Rastaman, and as such, I have interesting interactions with people on the street to say the least. Last wed, coincidently of the Holy Week in the Eastern Church, this cool security guard at the Market i go to every week, hit me up and asked me about Rasta and reggae. When I told saluted him properly and exchanged names, as "Chris" he was like, "Chris? What kind of name is that?" I say, "I dont know what you mean, that is the one my momma gave me..." he says, "no no, you should have changed it already, isn't that what y'all [I think he meant Rastafari people] do?" so I say, "well actually I am just waiting to get baptised in the Ethiopian Church, they will give me a new name then." We then proceed to have a long chat about Ethiopians, turns out he also works security on weekends at an Ethiopian club where they spin reggae of all things! small world...

the next night I have a dream where I am talking with the Archbishop of the Ethiopian Church, Abune Melketsedek, who was in fact Emperor Haile Selassie I's personal priest in the 1970s, and whom I met in January and received a wonderful hug, blessing and conversation with [he is apparantly a bishop of specializes in dealing with Rastafari people]. In my dream he tells me very clearly, it is time to get baptised. The next night I also dream that I am having a similar conversation with my Abba at my local parish, who tells me the same thing. so, next month when the schedule is open, I will be getting baptised into the Tewahedo Ethiopian Orthodox Church, and a council of no less then three priest will chant around, say a dozen prayers and then bestow me with a new name, different from the one I have had these past twenty four years. It feels good to embrace this new identity and become fully invested in this community which I have been working for years towards helping. I also graduate from university in Dec with a degree in Ethiopian History.

what's wrong with the name chris?
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
This is a momentous occassion for you my man. Enjoy and continue moving forward.
Old 04.28.2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
whatever it takes to make life seem more exciting
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 03:26 PM   #5
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
im not a big fan of religion in general but i'm all for potent dreams

congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
whatever it takes to make life seem more exciting

when you life has a purpose (whatever that may be) it's not a matter of seeming.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 04:31 PM   #6
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
congrats.

are you going to have an african name now??
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 04:53 PM   #7
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
so you legally change yr name? or is just kind of a title type thing?

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 05:01 PM   #8
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought if I were going to change my Christian name, I would want to change it to Openchestwounds or Bignailholewoundsinpalms.

Something to consider.
Old 04.28.2008, 05:46 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
congrats.

are you going to have an african name now??

yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
so you legally change yr name? or is just kind of a title type thing?

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I always thought if I were going to change my Christian name, I would want to change it to Openchestwounds or Bignailholewoundsinpalms.

Something to consider.

so you mean Kefete Senberyederet [open wounds of chest] or Mesemare Teleme Medaf [nailholesinthepalmofhand]?
a) I am getting my Christian name from this process.

b) the krew of priests decides on the fly, I have no input.

Old 04.28.2008, 06:18 PM   #10
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
cool stuff man

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 06:45 PM   #11
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
as far as I'm concerned, ethiopian orthodox may just be the last vestige of true christianity that's untouched by the tainting hands of rome and king james.

I hope you didn't think I was taking the piss by asking if you were taking an african name.

I may not agree with the complete dogma, but as a source of positivity in an entropic universe, Selassie I liveth everytime.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 07:07 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
as far as I'm concerned, ethiopian orthodox may just be the last vestige of true christianity that's untouched by the tainting hands of rome and king james.

I hope you didn't think I was taking the piss by asking if you were taking an african name.

I may not agree with the complete dogma, but as a source of positivity in an entropic universe, Selassie I liveth everytime.

wow, that was the most insightful thing I have ever read on this message board, you sir, know, embrace, accept and more importantly FEEL the truth. Live on my friend.

Old 04.28.2008, 07:07 PM   #13
o'connor
expwy. to yr skull

o'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asseso'connor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

b) the krew of priests decides on the fly, I have no input.

that sucks. if i was gonna change my name i'd want some input. just sayin.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001798646886 - Personal

http://soundcloud.com/j-o-c-o - JoCo (Music)

http://soundcloud.com/driftera - Drift Era (Music)
o'connor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 07:09 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
that sucks. if i was gonna change my name i'd want some input. just sayin.

what would be the point of that? I am receiving the name I was given from creation, not searching for a new pseudonym for an acting career as an extra in culver city. I couldn't pick a new name for myself in a thousand attempts, I need to consult outside sources for validation, otherwise it could just all be a figment of my imagination.

Old 04.28.2008, 07:30 PM   #15
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
What's the translation for "mud"? Ha ha, just kidding. I'm proud for you.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2008, 07:33 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
What's the translation for "mud"? Ha ha, just kidding. I'm proud for you.

regreg che'qa [mud]

Old 04.28.2008, 07:58 PM   #17
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
can't read whole thread now, too busy holding back a legion of mottled demons with only a dog and a beer and piles of homework as my weapons. but i will say, there's nothing wrong with the name Christopher. I'm not against taking on a new one while you're on this path, but I would advise not trying to 'purge' the previous one. People can have more than one name, it isn't a big deal.

Will read rest of thread soon.
Old 04.28.2008, 08:05 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloriel
can't read whole thread now, too busy holding back a legion of mottled demons with only a dog and a beer and piles of homework as my weapons. but i will say, there's nothing wrong with the name Christopher. I'm not against taking on a new one while you're on this path, but I would advise not trying to 'purge' the previous one. People can have more than one name, it isn't a big deal.

Will read rest of thread soon.

Christopher is a fine name, and I live it well as it means Christ Bearing [like an aquafer which bears water], however, this new name is important.

"He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it."

Old 04.28.2008, 08:08 PM   #19
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
wow, the thread was more positive than i thought it'd be. anyway yeah, good job sticking with this, congrats and hope it goes well.
Old 04.28.2008, 08:09 PM   #20
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
what would be the point of that? I am receiving the name I was given from creation, not searching for a new pseudonym for an acting career as an extra in culver city.

HA!

best response ever
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth