Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Homesickness
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.25.2008, 01:51 PM   #1
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
It's hit me like a freight train today. God, I miss my old life in my old town. I miss the town.

How did I ever get so obsessed with a place that it hurts inside to think about it?

It seems so hard to find beauty here on a daily basis. I could drive out to the mountains or the ocean, but that's hours away. But back "home," there was beauty just walking to work.

I miss the campus. I miss the great record stores, book stores, coffee shops, beer stores. I miss the U art museum, the river. Everything. All my favorite places.

God, I'm sad. Somebody call a waaa-mbulance.
Old 01.25.2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it is one of the things that make us human gmku
Old 01.25.2008, 01:57 PM   #3
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, man, I know. It's pointless to pine away about it, I guess. I just really don't like it here much.
Old 01.25.2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it is not pointless. it is honest. shit.

it takes time to get accustomed to a new place though. How long have you been at yr new home?
Old 01.25.2008, 02:03 PM   #5
gmku
invito al cielo

About six months.
Old 01.25.2008, 02:06 PM   #6
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
It's hit me like a freight train today. God, I miss my old life in my old town. I miss the town.

How did I ever get so obsessed with a place that it hurts inside to think about it?

It seems so hard to find beauty here on a daily basis. I could drive out to the mountains or the ocean, but that's hours away. But back "home," there was beauty just walking to work.

I miss the campus. I miss the great record stores, book stores, coffee shops, beer stores. I miss the U art museum, the river. Everything. All my favorite places.

God, I'm sad. Somebody call a waaa-mbulance.

I'm in the same boat. I go back to my home town and I can't remember why I felt the need to get away so bad. I've got to get back there.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 02:08 PM   #7
gmku
invito al cielo

It wouldn't be as bad if I felt we'd moved to some place better. It definitely feels like a step or two down in many ways.
Old 01.25.2008, 02:09 PM   #8
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
yeah man i hear you. i have been living in the middle of nowhere for 2 years and I HAVE MISSED DC LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER. it's my adoptive hometown. i remember the day i drove into dc with a friend from maryland, we were on a road along the potomac, which was covered with ice, and i decided i needed to live there, badly. i moved the fuck out of northern virginia (boooooooring!!) and took a tiny efficiency in cleveland park, near the dc zoo. holy shit i adored that town. so many good memories.

anyway, these days i don't give a fuck tough, ha ha, because i just signed a lease for a new house in albuquerque, and it's BIG (for me anyway), it's fuckign cool and it's in a great neighborhood next to the university; and albuquerque, while not the cultural center of the world, is a pleasant fucking little place and there are great restaurants and plenty of bike lanes and a paper store and used bookstores and funky little movie theatres and pretty girls in the street and a place to pick up a fresh print from the new york times every sunday morning and lots of cool thriftstores and great great great coffee shops and other awesome shit that im already in love again and no longer suffering from heartaches and despair . and did i say lots of good looking girls in the streets? albuquerque FTW.

my suggestion would be to move to a decent place that actually excites you

ops. o well...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 02:11 PM   #9
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Somebody call a waaa-mbulance.

DONE.

I've also taken the liberty of alerting Mary-Kate.

help is on the way.

PS: I've moved so many times in my life I've never had a chance to grow too attached to any one place.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 02:13 PM   #10
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah man i hear you. i have been living in the middle of nowhere for 2 years and I MISS DC LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER. it's my adoptive hometown. i remember the day i drove in with a friend from maryland along the potomac, which was covered with ice, and i decided i wanted to live there. i got the fuck out of northern virginia (boooooooring!!) and moved to cleveland park. holy shit i adored that town.

anyway, these days i don't give a shit because i just signed a lease for a new house in albuquerque and it's BIG (for me anyway), it's fuckign cool and it's in a great neighborhood and albuquerque while not the cultural center of the world is a pleasant fucking little place and there are great restaurants and bike lanes and a paper store and used bookstores and funky little movie theatres and pretty girls in the street and a place to pick up a fresh print from the new york times every morning and lots of cool thriftstores and great great great coffee shops and other awesome shit that im already in love again and no longer suffering from heartaches. albuquerque FTW.

my suggestion would be to move to a decent place that actuallye excites you

ops. o well...

Wow, never knew all of that about Albuquerque. But I guess all I ever DID know about it was that was where Bugs Bunny always took a wrong turn.

Before I moved away from Lexington, KY, I always thought that any big city would have some charm; and I guess for the most part, it is true. Every city has nice parts of it, and the bigger the city, the better chance of them being there. But if a city could manage to pull off having the smallest amount of cool space, Cincinnati has done it.
Old 01.25.2008, 02:14 PM   #11
gmku
invito al cielo

Hey, congrats, !@#$%! !. That sounds great. Albuquerque sounds very cool. Actually me wife (the fed) is already sending out apps for transfers. She's not as in love with SC as she thought she'd be. We're holding out some hope for Denver (Colo.), St. Petersburg (Fla.), and some places in California (Palo Alto's one of them, I think). I need a bigger city, and I need to be centrally living in the city, not in the sticks--which might be half the problem here. If we were actually inside Columbia, I'd have easier access to all those kinds of places I miss.
Old 01.25.2008, 02:18 PM   #12
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't had the feeling of homesickness in years. But I guess that's because I don't know where my "home" is. The place I grew up in (17 years), I don't know anyone there anymore and I haven't visited it in years... The place where my parents now live, well, it's only where my parents live and I only feel the desire to go there in summer (it's near the sea, and during the summer it's nice, i must admit)... The other places I have lived in or where my friends live, are just places where I was in transit, even though I enjoyed my time in a lot of those.

So I guess "home" is now where I have been living for the last 2 years. Maybe it will become my adoptive hometown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I've moved so many times in my life I've never had a chance to grow too attached to any one place.

That's what I wanted to say, basically. Except that before moving regularly places, I have stayed 17 years in a city, to which I have lost all connection. I wouldn't mind going back again once just to visit, but it's really not a big urge.
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 02:19 PM   #13
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by o o o
I haven't had the feeling of homesickness in years. But I guess that's because I don't know where my "home" is. The place I grew up in (17 years), I don't know anyone there anymore and I haven't visited it in years... The place where my parents live, well, it's only where my parents live and I only feel the desire to go there in summer (it's near the sea, and during the summer it's nice, i must admit)... The other places I have lived in or where my friends live, are just places where I was in transit, even though I enjoyed my time in a lot of those.

So I guess home is now where I have been living for the last 2 years. Maybe it will become my adoptive hometown.

And where is that, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01.25.2008, 02:22 PM   #14
gmku
invito al cielo

I lived in Iowa City for more than 15 years, around 91 to this last summer. And that's where I went to college in the 70s. So I was extremely comfortable there, very much at home in every way, definitely had put down some roots. It's also where my kids mostly grew up and all that, so it's sad to leave all that behind, and I have a lot of good social memories with all the friends I had there and shit.

Okay, enough whining already. Crap.
Old 01.25.2008, 02:26 PM   #15
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
YES MAN.

stop this notion of needing to have a BIG HOUSE because every other american your age bracket has one. your kids are out now, don't invite them to move back in by having an inhabitable basement

we've been lucky to find a cheap house; lots of students in the neighborhood so owners/agents are happy to see faculty members instead; and fuck, WE CAN WALK EVERYWHERE from where we'll be living.

if your wife can get a transfer to the fbi HQ, i highly recommend dc. yes it has gotten out of this world expensive but if you could buy a condo by the metro (say the duke ellington apts on U street) she could take a quick metro ride to work and holy fuck man you'd be in heaven just walking everywhere.

quality of life, not "property value" is #1 thing to look out for, the way i see it. when we decide to move, two or three weeks ago, we went crazy looking at craigslists and finally said fuckit, let's move to nob hil and nob hill only (that's where UNM is located). our house is not in the best shape but it's got space to live and work and plenty of places to go around. the place is not, you know, greenwich village, but it's got everything-- i have a friend who lives there and never leaves the neighborhood-- ha ha ha.

anyway hm i don't know about florida. go for a blue state. albuquerque is full of liberals, recycling is big, energy conservation is big, bikes are everywhere, so it feels decent. the music scene needs work but with the film industry moving into the state other shit is popping up.

anyway i'm glad she's seen the light and you guys are finally agreeing on this.
Old 01.25.2008, 02:27 PM   #16
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
And where is that, if you don't mind me asking?

I grew up in Nancy (France) and now live in Berlin (Germany).
And as I said, I have lived in a few other places inbetween.

When I moved out of Nancy, I quickly lost contact with all my friends there and since I did not have any family there (apart from my parents who moved out at the same time - and my brother who had moved out already), I never really had a "reason" to go back again. Ok, I could have gone back to visit my old friends again, but it turns out I did not do it. Somehow I feel a part of me is gone because I lost all connection to my supposed hometown. I guess that's not really homesickness, but that is something.
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 02:31 PM   #17
gmku
invito al cielo

Yeah, I have my qualms about Florida, but I am "assured" that St. Petersburg is like this oasis of liberalism and culture. (yeah... hmm, I think I've heard that before...). I may have to see if there would be fed jobs in Albuqueque. Is there a VA med center there?

We're coming around to the realization that having a house ain't for us anymore. We moved in that direction this last time, downsized our house size, but we need to take the next step and de-suburbanize. I would love to live in a central neighborhood of a good city. I'm all for a loft, apartment, or condo, etc. We do have our two big Goldens, who take up a bit of room, but I don't see why we couldn't downsize to a decent city condo or loft.
Old 01.25.2008, 02:37 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

well man you could have a house in a downtown, all depends on neighborhoods and prices. having dogs in an apartment is actually good, they will force you to go out & take them for a walk. lots of dogs in cities. lots of dog parks even. a whole dog "scene", kind of hilarious.

suggestion: go check out st. petersburg before moving. denver is capital of a red state so hm eeeek. colorado is for mountain people. but anyway. if you like coors beer. no, haha.

but look, it looks good for the creative class:
http://beta.metrodenver.org/news-cen...-vitality.html

just go to a good neighborhood.

oh yeah this looks good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol...nver,_Colorado

"
Capitol Hill is probably one of the most active neighborhoods in Denver, well-known as a haven for artists and bohemians. There are numerous restaurants, clubs, bars, stores, concert venues, and other cultural amenities in the community. Along 13th Avenue is the center of Denver's punk community with the punk clubs, Cricket on the Hill and Bender's, as well as various stores that cater to punks. Colfax Avenue has a reputation for a wild nightlife with two concert venues (The Fillmore and the Ogden), and numerous late-night bars, coffeeshops, restaurants, stores and clubs on the street. During the day, lobbyists and politicians from the Colorado State Capitol can be seen making deals in the restaurants and bars of the neighborhood.

Capitol Hill is also known as a very gay friendly neighborhood and as a gay village with many LGBT people living and working in the neighborhood. The annual PrideFest gay pride parade goes through the neighborhood."

"Capitol Hill is one of many neighborhoods in central Denver undergoing gentrification. What was once known as an area for young bohemians, artists and musicians (Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg were former neighborhood residents) is now being redeveloped for more affluent citizens. The rents in the neighborhood have increased significantly over the past decade, and many of the cheap apartments in the area have been converted into more expensive condominiums. Aurora is attempting to attract many of the artists to new developments along its stretch of Colfax Avenue several miles east."

etc.

hm just as a hunch looks like aurora would be the place to buy a casa. yes.
Old 01.25.2008, 02:41 PM   #19
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

who's ever heard of st. petersburg other than in russia? stop deluding yourself & go to a real city

--

ps: "With a purported average of some 360 days of sunshine each year, it is nicknamed "The Sunshine City." [1] For that reason, the city is a popular tourist, and retirement destination, especially for those in the United States from colder Northern climates particularly New York, Detroit, and Chicago.

IT'S GEEZERVILLE. EWWWWWW.
Old 01.25.2008, 02:44 PM   #20
gmku
invito al cielo

Yeah, we actually know Denver. That's the advantage there. In fact, it's almost been like a second home for the past 20 years. My wife's mom lives there, and my daughter's in the mountains, so we travel there a lot. And we lived there my last coupla years in the Force. We really like Denver. It's a bit expensive, yuppie-ish, and conservative in some ways, but it also has many of the big city things we both like. So, that would be nice.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth