Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Saw The Liars last night
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.26.2007, 09:14 AM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
They opened up for Interpol.
The Liars did a raucous set, but I would have loved to see them in a smaller venue. the theatre where they played was a big cavernous sound muddier thing. I have seen sonic youth there and they sounded much better, better sound guy I guess, plus they always turn the volume down on the opening act to make the headliner seem bigger and better. I love when the band interacts with the crowd and their singer was very funny. he made a crack about how going to see Interpol is very "sexy".

fuck Interpol were mediocre and dull. I felt bad for half the crowd because I could tell that that boring mid-tempo interpol wankery was the single most rockinest show they will go see all year. fools, FOOLS I SAY! Did Interpol always have a keyboard player playing very superfluous chords barely heard over their The Edge-like guitar foppery? that shit sucked. I wanted to scream "Stop singing about your girlfriend!!!"

free tix is free tix though, and there were some beautiful ladies there.
Old 09.26.2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
If Liars came to Australia supporting Interpol I would be really bummed. Now if they supported Avril Lavagne or Fallout Boy that would be a great show!
Old 09.26.2007, 09:54 AM   #3
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i saw blonde redhead open for interpol a few years back and i shared the exact same sentiments. it was the weirdest thing, though. there were girls on top of their boyfriends' shoulders doing that thing that you would think only happens at hippie jam festivals. interpol sucked really bad, though. in fact, me and my friends stopped paying attention to interpol and chatted with the Pace brothers for a little while.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2007, 10:10 AM   #4
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I love Liars. They should be the headliners, not lame-ass Interpol. W T F, as the kids say.

The new Liars LP is great, by the way.
Old 09.26.2007, 11:26 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
nah, they added the keyboard around "Antics".

it's sad, i actually dig (uh-oh, someone's going to be pissed cuz I don't "hate everything" like I get accused of!) "Turn on the Bright Lights"... however, I sure as hell wouldn't want to see this fucking band live. Might as well go see fucking Arab Strap live or something (if they were still together).

I bet LIARS are good live -- one of the few bands who I think doesn't make the best CD's but I'd kill to see live. I mean, their CD's are always really inconsistent and all over the place and never seem to gel together to make anything that exciting to listen to -- I blame lazy songwriting (for the record, I think Drum's Not Dead is their best record ).. but you can tell and respect that they're actually a good band and I bet the songs sound fucking cool live.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2007, 11:35 AM   #6
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I was psyched to see the Liars, but you could tell that half the crowd was there to see their pretty rock boys interpol, and could not handle the shit Liars was dishing out. Like I said, the sound was not too good but half the Liars set was great and half was just wankery, or at least sounded like wankery. I think it may have been his falsetto

I think Interpol's light show must have cost them around $10,000 a gig. It was all flashy and flashy.
fuck they looked bored.
Old 09.26.2007, 11:59 AM   #7
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
nah, they added the keyboard around "Antics".

it's sad, i actually dig (uh-oh, someone's going to be pissed cuz I don't "hate everything" like I get accused of!) "Turn on the Bright Lights"... however, I sure as hell wouldn't want to see this fucking band live. Might as well go see fucking Arab Strap live or something (if they were still together).

I bet LIARS are good live -- one of the few bands who I think doesn't make the best CD's but I'd kill to see live. I mean, their CD's are always really inconsistent and all over the place and never seem to gel together to make anything that exciting to listen to -- I blame lazy songwriting (for the record, I think Drum's Not Dead is their best record ).. but you can tell and respect that they're actually a good band and I bet the songs sound fucking cool live.

heh, not pissed... you must like something(s)...
i have the same basic sentiment on the liars, though i bought their cds upto but not including Drum's not dead.

no comment on Interpol other than its no wonder they appeal to a larger audience than your typical indie band.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2007, 12:01 PM   #8
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I reallly dig Drum's Not Dead and the latest. This most recent one sounds like JAMC/Sonic Youth, to me. Very good. Are there anyother Liars lovers out there. Plus my LP is WHITE, I tell you, WHITE!
Old 09.26.2007, 12:05 PM   #9
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Rob! Please clean yr mailbox!
Old 09.26.2007, 12:09 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"turn off the shit lights."

Old 09.26.2007, 12:10 PM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

well, to me, Interpol.. every Interpol song sounds like joy division's "Shadowplay"..

but I love "Shadowplay"..

so I guess I kinda like a ripoff of it too!

Old 09.26.2007, 01:03 PM   #12
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I really like the first Interpol record, but everything after that has been an attempt to clean up and mainstream their sound, plus they have in no way developed as songwriters. Three full records ofdee-doo-dee-dooo-dee-dooo guitar, extended rests in the middle of songs, and oblique lyrics about whichever skeeze the singer is fucking that week.
Old 09.26.2007, 01:14 PM   #13
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Being put on in front of a massive crowd of people who dont know what the hell is going on is the PERFECT gig for Liars! I liked Antics but the new stuff seems a bit devoid from Interpol, i think they are talented but lack the daring to do something extraordinary like Liars did on their second album.
Im not huge on the new Liars album, but i have to get my arse in gear and see them soon.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.26.2007, 01:15 PM   #14
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
it's sad, i actually dig (uh-oh, someone's going to be pissed cuz I don't "hate everything" like I get accused of!) "Turn on the Bright Lights"... however, I sure as hell wouldn't want to see this fucking band live. Might as well go see fucking Arab Strap live or something (if they were still together

Dont be dissing Arab Strap, they OWN your dark nights of the soul!
Old 09.26.2007, 01:50 PM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

yeah, but can you imagine (or have you seen) Arab Strap LIVE? That'd be so fucking boring...

oh, and I never heard the new interpol, though I'm surprised they kept the "doo-doo-doo-doo" guitar playing; jesus, that shit got tiring 30 songs ago only hot snakes are allowed to play like that on every song!

Old 09.26.2007, 02:02 PM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

EVERY FUCKING SONG

and the keyboards are completely and totally superfluous. they could barely be heard but they are just there a sfiller anyways because that dee-doo-dee-doo-dee-doo guitar crap is so hollow.

everything was Echo effects. so dull.
Old 09.26.2007, 02:04 PM   #17
purplebumblebee
bad moon rising

purplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I reallly dig Drum's Not Dead and the latest. This most recent one sounds like JAMC/Sonic Youth, to me. Very good. Are there anyother Liars lovers out there. Plus my LP is WHITE, I tell you, WHITE!

Just recently got their self titled album, really like, need to get the earlier stuff, have heard some of it, thats what interested me in the first place..
Would love to see them live, hopefully they will plan a trip to ireland!
Old 09.26.2007, 02:38 PM   #18
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah, but can you imagine (or have you seen) Arab Strap LIVE? That'd be so fucking boring...

oh, and I never heard the new interpol, though I'm surprised they kept the "doo-doo-doo-doo" guitar playing; jesus, that shit got tiring 30 songs ago only hot snakes are allowed to play like that on every song!

Ive not, but i sincerely believe they would have made me wallow superbly.
New Birds : Is a tune.
Old 09.26.2007, 03:59 PM   #19
gmku
invito al cielo

They're not "The Liars," though, right. Just "Liars."

One could say, the new Liars LP, or the new Lp by Liars. But not the new Lp by the Liars. That's just wrong. The name of the new album, for example, is Liars, and it is by Liars.
Old 09.26.2007, 04:05 PM   #20
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

they are lying

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth