Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Last Album You Bought?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.09.2019, 08:10 PM   #6821
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
I'm probably missing out on this due to my age - I don't know a time when the IMBW version was the only one.

Well, up until the release of A Moon Shaped Pool, the IMBW live version was the only official version of the song. So... you probably do remember, because it was 2016.

Quote:
I have an irrational love of Amnesiac, even despite the knowledge that a good third of it is crap. In Rainbows just seems kinda plain to me.

You might be surprised about what parts of Amnesiac I think are crap. It’s not “Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors” because that song thumps. It’s not “Dollars and Cents” because that track is a dark, menacing discopunk gem. It’s not even “Packt like Sardines...” which appeals to my electronic palate like most of the sounds Radiohead brazenly ripped off from Aphex Twin and Squarepusher.

No.

It’s fucking “Pyramid Song,” which is a quest through the doldrums of absolute boredom where the only existing emotion is a deeply buried and repressed desire to end one’s own life... PERHAPS as a result of the ENDLESS boredom that go-nowhere track elicits.

I know... sacrilege, right? Wrong. Fuck that plod-along.

It’s also the wholly unnecessary retread of “Morning Bell” that lacks the subtle thump and mystique of the Kid A original.

And it’s “Life in a Glass House” because UGHHHHHH the tedium.

If the good, bizarro tracks from Amnesiac — “You and Whose Army?” and “I Might be Wrong” and the aforementioned “Dollars and Cents” and the logical “Videotape” precursor “Like Spinning Plates” had been put on an EP, THAT would have been cool.

But “Pyramid Song” and its PlayStation 1 Vector Man music video can piss off.
Blur’s “13” kicks the living shit out of “Amnesiac” and that’s the truth.

NOW... In Rainbows has some nice tracks.
“Weird Fishes/Arpeggi” is one of the band’s all-time best songs. No question. And “Videotape” is great and weird. And “All I Need” is like a grown-up version of “Climbing up the Walls.”

But what REALLY disappointed me about that album is this:
Every other Radiohead album after The Bends had one song that just seemed to blow the world apart and stand as a document in and of itself, pointing to the future — or to some weirdass other plane, never to be spoken of again — and away from the rest of the album. But In Rainbows has no such song.
Sure, you could argue “Videotape” but that’s not it.

On OKC it was “Electioneering” (or fucking “Paranoid Android,” for that matter, but I say “Electioneering” because it stood out, and people didn’t like it, but it rocked like hell and was almost preternaturally predictive of the political landscape 20 years later.
On Kid A it was “Idiotqeue”
On Amnesiac it was “I Might Be Wrong”
On Hail to the Thief it was the motherfucking KING of the bonkers Radiohead album outliers, “Myxomatosis,” which, to this day, is my single favorite Radiohead song because WHAT THE FUCK.

And then on In Rainbows had... nothing, really. No single song that says, “WE ARE BETTER THAN YOU AND THIS IS WHY.” No song bold enough to sound like it belonged on another album by another band. I LIKE it and RESPECT it when bands do this.

Modest Mouse did it with “The Stars are Projectors” in 2000. Just *leveled* the competition with one big fat fucking middle finger to the world.
Slint did it with “Good Morning Captain” and the rest is history.
(Kanye did it with “Runaway” and anyone who wants to fite can line the fuck up)

Radiohead decided to stop doing it, and I promptly lost interest and I haven’t been a hardcore fan since.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2019, 08:23 PM   #6822
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I say I love HTTT, but that's just skewed by how awesome 'Myxomatosis' is.

You are a good person.
Read my wankoff above.

“Myxomatosis,” like Darkseid in DC Comics, is beyond description.

Myxomatosis is.
Old 01.09.2019, 09:51 PM   #6823
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Well, up until the release of A Moon Shaped Pool, the IMBW live version was the only official version of the song. So... you probably do remember, because it was 2016.
I don't want to be 'that girl', but...I've only really been into them since about 2017.
I'm not that old...

Quote:
[a bunch of words about Amnesiac]
As of a few weeks ago, my ranking of the songs on Amnesiac:
1. I Might Be Wrong
2. Pyramid Song
x. the live version of Like Spinning Plates
3. You and Whose Army?
4. Life in a Glasshouse
5. Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box
6. Dollars and Cents
7. Knives Out
8. Like Spinning Plates
9. Hunting Bears
10. Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors
11. Morning Bell/Amnesiac

I agree with you on stuff like Sardines, Morning Bell, and Whose Army?, but Pyramid Song is magnificent and Life in a Glasshouse is great. And, while Spinning Plates is a good song, the backwards piano studio version seems like a bit of style over substance. The live version destroys it.

Quote:
Blur’s “13” kicks the living shit out of “Amnesiac” and that’s the truth.
Not disagreeing. You know my Blur opinions though.

Quote:
NOW... In Rainbows has some nice tracks.
“Weird Fishes/Arpeggi” is one of the band’s all-time best songs. No question. And “Videotape” is great and weird. And “All I Need” is like a grown-up version of “Climbing up the Walls.”
Those are good ones. The issue is, when songs from IR come on shuffle, I skip over them usually.

Quote:
But what REALLY disappointed me about that album is this:
Every other Radiohead album after The Bends had one song that just seemed to blow the world apart and stand as a document in and of itself, pointing to the future — or to some weirdass other plane, never to be spoken of again — and away from the rest of the album. But In Rainbows has no such song.
Sure, you could argue “Videotape” but that’s not it.

On OKC it was “Electioneering” (or fucking “Paranoid Android,” for that matter, but I say “Electioneering” because it stood out, and people didn’t like it, but it rocked like hell and was almost preternaturally predictive of the political landscape 20 years later.
On Kid A it was “Idiotqeue”
On Amnesiac it was “I Might Be Wrong”
On Hail to the Thief it was the motherfucking KING of the bonkers Radiohead album outliers, “Myxomatosis,” which, to this day, is my single favorite Radiohead song because WHAT THE FUCK.
All of those outliers are great. Myxomatosis probably makes my top ten RH songs, but please don't make me come up with a list because I couldn't.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2019, 07:51 AM   #6824
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I don't want to be 'that girl', but...I've only really been into them since about 2017.
I'm not that old...

Good for you!
See, I am kinda old, and it’s sad. So whatever.

Quote:
All of those outliers are great. Myxomatosis probably makes my top ten RH songs, but please don't make me come up with a list because I couldn't.

Ok, deal.

But if I had to do mine, I guarantee “Myxomatosis” would be way up top, along with “There There.”

And “Idioteque,” “I Might Be Wrong,” “Airbag,” “Weird Fishes/Arpeggi” and some others.
Old 01.10.2019, 02:46 PM   #6825
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
But if I had to do mine, I guarantee “Myxomatosis” would be way up top, along with “There There.”

And “Idioteque,” “I Might Be Wrong,” “Airbag,” “Weird Fishes/Arpeggi” and some others.
Fuck it I felt like doing it anyway.

'Creep', 'Fake Plastic Trees', 'Street Spirit (Fade Out)','Paranoid Android', 'Exit Music (For a Film)', 'Let Down', 'Karma Police', 'Climbing up the Walls', 'How to Disappear Completely', 'Idioteque'.

Hm, only material from the first four makes it. Says something about how their recent stuff may just be reputation.
Old 01.10.2019, 05:02 PM   #6826
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Over the winter holiday we went to El POaso TX to visit my in-laws, and I found a record store, (All That Music) which had so muc h vinyl! All types!

I bought 15 7" singles (after browsing through 1,000. There were about 5,000 on display, and the owner said he had 100,000 of them! ) and I bought some excellent vinyl LP's.

Cornelius - Fantasma (Reissue 2xLP)
REM - Can't Get There From Here 12" (original promo only)
Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing 12" single (promo only)
Xiu Xiu - A Promise LP (RSD leftover, colored vinyl with an extra 7" inside)
Sigur Ros - Von 2xLP (came with a CD)
Buena Vista Social Club - Lost and Found LP(Live recordings from Cuban concert)
Old 01.11.2019, 10:24 AM   #6827
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
OH I forgot, I also got FUTURE - FUTURE 2 x LP!!!!!
Old 01.11.2019, 08:45 PM   #6828
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Found this interesting, intimate r.e.m. show on archive.

https://archive.org/details/1987.05....pSantaMonicaCA

This one features Natalie Merchant, right? Noice. I think a lossless version has been shared on Dime... I bought an incomplete vinyl edition of it in New York back in early 1994.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2019, 08:42 PM   #6829
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Record show last Friday in town

Pink Floyd - bootleg 10" with Syd era rarities, radio shows and the like
The Sisterhood - Gift
Swans - Children Of God
Standells - best of collection on Rhino
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.23.2019, 08:48 PM   #6830
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

Birthday shopping. Three albums, zero words on the covers.

Also ran into my parents, shopping for stuff for me themselves. Convinced them to get Dookie on vinyl, so I'll get that on Wednesday.
Old 02.24.2019, 05:37 PM   #6831
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

Thanks to $60 of iTunes gift cards from my other grandparents, I was able to get these ones:

Old 02.24.2019, 05:39 PM   #6832
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

And this one too, because this forum only gives me four images per post.

Old 02.24.2019, 05:41 PM   #6833
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
EA80 - "2 Takte Später" (1985) & "Licht!" (1989)

Bought them at their first ever gig in Vienna yesterday. Legends of German Punk. "Dr. Murkes Gesammeltes Schweigen" is such an amazing tune.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2019, 05:20 PM   #6834
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Here's a quote from the Most Anticipated Albums of 2018 thread, dated 3 May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
There will be not one but TWO live albums released of Oiseaux Tempete this year !!!!

First one:

This was recorded in 2016, and will be released on June 1 2018, in an edition of only 300 CD's.
Links:
https://www.forcedexposure.com/Catal...PTD.023CD.html
https://boomkat.com/products/the-tru...d-dunsany-live
https://www.shinybeast.nl/item/461223/oiseaux_tempete_the_bunny_tylers_the_true_history_ of_the_tortoise_the_ha.html

Second one:
This one is named TARAB طَرَبٌ and will be released as a 2xLP (but hopefully also on CD or even DVD?) on the Sub Rosa label later this year. It's not listed yet anywhere, but there's already a YT clip of it: OISEAUX-TEMPÊTE - CARNAVAL (LIVE)
It was recorded at the Trabendo in Paris, and I was there
And I so much hope that this release will be complete and unedited, the final encore song is as far unreleased and it was mind-blowingly awesome

That very same day I ordered that Bunny Tylers album on CD. Guess how long it took to arrive at my house?

300 days !!

it arrived today. But it is numbered 167 out of 300. And it's cool.

To celebrate, I ordered the following:

• Callas With Lee Ranaldo - Trouble And Desire
• Low - Double Negative
• Mono (Jap) - Nowhere Now Here
• Rivulets - In Our Circle
• Lubomyr Melnyk - Fallen Trees
• Neil Young - Songs For Judy
• Neil Young - Roxy: Tonight's The Night Live
• Pink Floyd - The Wall (CD)
• Pink Floyd - The Wall (DVD movie)
• Roger Waters - The Wall Live In Berlin (DVD)

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2019, 05:42 PM   #6835
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That very same day I ordered that Bunny Tylers album on CD. Guess how long it took to arrive at my house?
300 days !!
it arrived today. But it is numbered 167. And it's cool.

I feel you, _brother_tunic_. In order to avoid unbelievably fucked-up customs taxes, I have all my orders delivered to a buddy of mine in the U.S., who then ships them to me in a package marked as "gift", but only once they've reached critical weight mass. So it can took months. AIN'T complaining, though!

Quote:
• Neil Young - Roxy: Tonight's The Night Live

This is the shit. As you know from the Dime uploads, last year, after this album came out, Neil put together a Crazy Horse which looked more like the Stray Gators, since Nils Lofgren —the original Tonight's The Night lead guitar player— took Poncho's place. But now it looks like Sampedro's done ("farming in Hawaii", apparently) and Lofgren is an official Horse. You NEVER know with Neil, though...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2019, 07:04 PM   #6836
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Bell & Tom - Milk & Spilled Milk

Houston duo Bill Lambert and John Kennedy (Cyclops Joint)

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2019, 07:13 PM   #6837
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Wolf Eyes & Universal Eyes split

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2019, 02:54 AM   #6838
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I overspent my budget for this month for some stuff that should have been in my collection already:

Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis
Talk Talk - Colour Of Spring
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Jacques Brel - Enregistrements Originaux - Intégrale 1953-1977 - Coffret 21 CD
Serge Gainsbourg - Intégrale - Coffret 20 CD
Serge Gainsbourg - D'Autres Nouvelles Des Étoiles (DVD)

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2019, 06:56 PM   #6839
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Swans - What Is This?
Old 03.05.2019, 11:40 PM   #6840
SonicSleuth
little trouble girl

SonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's asses
Times New Viking
- Dig Yourself, LP
- The Paisley Reich, LP
- Rip It Off, LP
SonicSleuth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
292332339340341 342 343344345 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth