Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.16.2023, 05:44 PM   #921
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippietears
I'm not really sure, I think we would have to find the center as to why people are acting like this, and I think it's fear. Fear of something that isn't a norm for someone that is looking in from the outside. So, what do they do in return? They shoot fear right back at us. It's a viscous cycle and it needs to be broken.

Certainly. I think it's a multitude of factors right now that play into the far right's hands. I also feel like a lot of people feel disassociated with societal expectations or deeply unhappy with their lot in society. For generations, people have been told how to behave to succeed in life - career choices, romantic pursuits, gender norms and how to best cater to them, monetary independence - All grandiose, highly ritualized concepts.

But by now, a lot of people have realized that a lot of this is fugazi. People feel like there is something missing in their lives. And this is where organized religion, manosphere self-help gurus, vicious politicians and the like enter the picture. They try to gauge what it is they feel is missing in their lives and hence they adjust their rhetoric to it - promising a more prosperous future - once again enforcing the same tired ideas that made them feel so deprived in the first place - but more forcefully. Easy answers await them.

But in order to seal the deal, a scapegoat has to be declared. Surely, someone must be responsible for this undesirable state of things - it's not the economy that favors only the richest of the rich, it's not the judicial system or corrupt politics. No, it's that darn Woke culture and all them LGBTQIA+-folk, and the feminists and whatnot. The LGBTQIA+ seems to take the absolute brunt of the abuse right now. And instead of realizing that the very same insitutions that instigating their fear and anger right now are the cause of their anguish, people fall for the right's narrative. And instead of realizing, that their problems very much apply to those they are ostracizing right now, too - they fall deeper down the rabbit hole.

I think there needs to be someone able to gauge those people's fears, but who is able to talk to them with compassion and who can avert the conversion of a lot of people to the wrong path. It won't stop the most indoctrinated from continuing on that path, but it might just make a few of those who are merely on the verge and somewhat confused reconsider. And by someone, I don't mean a singular person - but more of an institutional discourse.

But that's just a very utopian idea. I wouldn't know who and how right now. Tbh., the pandemic years have made me pretty cynical towards the dynamics of masses of people. I still cling to ideals of humanism, but it's been a bit tough as of late.

In general: Allies are important. And to end on a more optimistic note: I have a good bit of faith in the current generation. The kids are alright. There are teens right now who care about things that hadn't even been on my radar when I was their age. And there's been a lot of action and positive societal change that benefited a lot from the younger generation's (I'd say up until the Mid-20s) strides.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2023, 10:12 PM   #922
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
I think everybody should just chill and enjoy AccuRadio's Marvelous Mrs. Maisel channel:

https://www.accuradio.com/channel/61...53e37a5e6d3ea4

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2023, 02:14 AM   #923
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I think everybody should just chill

Look, my last post may have come across a bit doomy. I didn't mean it to. But there are a few worrying developments right now and certain patterns that are evident. It needs to be addressed sometimes.

On an optimistic note: I'm out on the streets with my LGBTQIA+ friends at Vienna's annual Pride Parade today. There are 102 groups taking part this year - making it the second biggest event since the inception of Vienna Pride. If last year was any indication, it's gonna be fucking awesome.

Old 06.17.2023, 02:24 AM   #924
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagon
Look, my last post may have come across a bit doomy. I didn't mean it to. But there are a few worrying developments right now and certain patterns that are evident. It needs to be addressed sometimes.

Come on, I was being facetious. Of course it's a major issue. Human rights worldwide are on the line.

That channel with Mrs. Maisel music is indeed awesome, though.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 06.17.2023, 07:51 AM   #925
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

what? hahaha, it was a great post

and please write more
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2023, 12:02 PM   #926
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Arnold Schwarzenegger Says He’d ‘Absolutely’ Run for President in 2024

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2023, 06:05 PM   #927
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

^ That Trump bobblehead is WAY too thin.

Old 06.18.2023, 07:30 AM   #928
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
here's an interesting article about the state of the american culture wars over gender, as seen through the microcosm of drag nuns at a baseball game...

https://www.economist.com/united-sta...e-culture-wars

it's paywalled, but it might allow a few free readings with registration. or maybe no registration required if the cookies are clear... not sure but check
Old 06.20.2023, 08:11 AM   #929
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
On an optimistic note: I'm out on the streets with my LGBTQIA+ friends at Vienna's annual Pride Parade today. There are 102 groups taking part this year - making it the second biggest event since the inception of Vienna Pride. If last year was any indication, it's gonna be fucking awesome.

One of my friends was there! She said she had a great time and got more than a little drunk.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2023, 01:26 PM   #930
Antagon
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
One of my friends was there! She said she had a great time and got more than a little drunk.

It was a hell lot of fun. Not every day do you get to walk and rickshaw across some of Vienna's most busy (usually congested) junctions undisturbed, while vibing to Siouxsie's "Peek-A-Boo". I took a lot of pictures, put my feet to good use in our "mobile" decked out in spooky and campy Halloween decor and got interviewed by a German queer-themed YouTube channel. All set to great tunes and people by the sidewalk cheering solely because they are happy folks are out there, doing their thing. It's hard to describe, but this abundance of positivity and good vibes is usually hard to come by in Vienna throughout the rest of the year. And yes, it does lend itself to quite a bit of hedonism

Old 06.21.2023, 08:07 PM   #931
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The ne plus ultra of pathetic:

Marjorie Taylor Greene Calls Boebert a ‘Little Bitch’ on the House Floor

Old 06.22.2023, 11:00 AM   #932
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
GLORIOUS!
Old 06.22.2023, 04:13 PM   #933
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
GLORIOUS!

The white trash they let into Congress these days, I tell ya...

Old 06.22.2023, 10:25 PM   #934
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The white trash they let into Congress these days, I tell ya...

And just like that, I'm remembering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QrDOGcZDow but in the context of the memory trigger, no "hero" aspect going on. Just white trash.
Old 06.23.2023, 06:58 AM   #935
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Marjorie Taylor Greene On Calling Boebert a "Little Bitch": "She's a Little Bitch"

Oh, the tautology...

Old 06.24.2023, 12:06 PM   #936
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

HOOOOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIITTT RUSSIA WHAAAAAATTT!!!

did this just start or have i been asleep for days??

this could be great news! or terrible, one never knows....

the parallels cannot be ignored, regardless of scale...
Old 06.24.2023, 07:26 PM   #937
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
HOOOOOOOOOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIITTT RUSSIA WHAAAAAATTT!!!

did this just start or have i been asleep for days??

this could be great news! or terrible, one never knows....

The Wagnerians will be staying at Lukashenko's Belarus for now, so no direct confrontation. But yeah, the image of those fuckers shooting and bombing their way to the Kremlin (with "Ride Of The Valkyries" in the background, of course) woulda been... something.

Old 06.25.2023, 05:57 AM   #938
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The Wagnerians will be staying at Lukashenko's Belarus for now, so no direct confrontation. But yeah, the image of those fuckers shooting and bombing their way to the Kremlin (with "Ride Of The Valkyries" in the background, of course) woulda been... something.

I'd have thought you, of all people, would not like the idea of right-wing mercenaries establishing military government.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2023, 08:57 AM   #939
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
I'd have thought you, of all people, would not like the idea of right-wing mercenaries establishing military government.

That's pretty much what Russia is already. Putin has a National Guard relatively similar to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, independent from the Armed Forces and which reports directly to him - that's where most of his grip on power lies, not on the infamous oligarchs (which lately he's been killing, families included, left and right). Speaking of powers, there's no real separation of them - the Duma and the Judiciary are jokes that do what Putin tells them to do. If there is a line at the top of the Kremlin dividing the civilian from the military it's extremely tenuous at the very best.

As for Wagner's chances to succeed in this crazy kamikaze coup attempt that apparently was coming, well, we're talking 25K mercenaries immediately available versus a far bigger National Guard, and that's without counting the Russian army. The point is there was going to be a direct assault on Putin's regime, and fuck him, he deserves it.

Old 06.25.2023, 09:09 AM   #940
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

And just to underline the obvious: Putin has no legitimacy as a democratically elected leader because Russian elections are bullshit; it's not North Korea, but there's nothing "free and fair" about them.

444546 47 48495057 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth