Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Changing Musical Opinions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.02.2009, 05:33 PM   #41
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I've seen them playing on an old tv programme a few years ago, way before the 'in the army'-era stuff, possibly in the late 60's, and they were VERY good.

Yeah - one for the 'unpopular opinions' thread really, but their psychedelic stuff is gashloads better than the Floyd (with/ without Barret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 05:40 PM   #42
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Yeah - one for the 'unpopular opinions' thread really, but their psychedelic stuff is gashloads better than the Floyd (with/ without Barret)

I like Barrett-ear Pink Floyd a lot, much less Barrett's solo records. On that tv thing Status Quo were like a more controlled version of them, like The Who in their prime if they were more psychedelic, so that's a good thing for me.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 05:56 PM   #43
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

these bastards literally changed my life. I have spent a good portion of the past five years since I first was introduced to the grateful dead magic wandering around coffee shops, blues clubs, and curbsides performing dead tunes and blues covers simply because of the one night when I first saw this film...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 07:33 PM   #44
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
one for the 'unpopular opinions' thread really, but [status quo's] psychedelic stuff is gashloads better than the Floyd (with/ without Barret)

I'm not a big fan of the really psychedelic, late 60s Quo. They always seemed a bit lost in the enthusiasm of the era on songs like this. for me it wasn't until a few years later, with 'Paper Plane' that they really became the bludgeoning monolith that we now know and (some of us) love.

In terms of the Pink floyd comparison, I much prefer Interstellar Overdrive over Pictures of Matchstick Men, but secretely prefer 'Paper Plane' to either.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2009, 01:32 AM   #45
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I'd always dismissed Pink Floyd as just some rubbish, commercial, boring, pretentious band (probably due to the influence of punk on me). But when I heard the main riff in Interstellar Overdrive, I changed my mind. I actually like some of their non-Barrett stuff, too, The Wall, A Saucerful of Secrets, Wish You Were Here, just not Dark Side.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2009, 04:08 AM   #46
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I used to love the Doors when I was 16. Now I couldn't care less for them.

Yeah that's pretty much my stand on them. I still enjoy the first record every once in a while, but really not much stood up to that one for me.
Old 07.04.2009, 10:46 AM   #47
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
For me Its been downhill after Murray Street. I want them to surprise me. I was actually surprised by Massage the History though. Great song.
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2009, 10:48 AM   #48
Newfoundland
bad moon rising

Newfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's assesNewfoundland kicks all y'all's asses
My opinions on YES is continually changing. I think they are both the most ridiculous band EVER, as well as thinking some of the early stuff was nice.
Newfoundland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2009, 10:47 PM   #49
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I have a declining musical opinion of all artist(s) I listened to in the past.

The earlier I liked them, the less I am into them now.

It's a bell curve with usually a sudden rise and subtle fall.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2009, 05:43 AM   #50
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
You go careful with those bell curves. I have a friend who saw too many of them while studying psychology and he's now convinced that everything in life can be represented in a bell curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2009, 05:59 PM   #51
jimmy jazz
empty page

jimmy jazz kicks all y'all's assesjimmy jazz kicks all y'all's assesjimmy jazz kicks all y'all's assesjimmy jazz kicks all y'all's assesjimmy jazz kicks all y'all's assesjimmy jazz kicks all y'all's assesjimmy jazz kicks all y'all's assesjimmy jazz kicks all y'all's assesjimmy jazz kicks all y'all's assesjimmy jazz kicks all y'all's assesjimmy jazz kicks all y'all's asses
I'd written of NIN, thought Trent was a wanker and never thought I'd listen to them again ( i was a huge fan in the 90s) ... then Year Zero came out and I became obsessed with it, and then Ghosts sealed the deal... I love NIN more than ever. Now that Trent recognizes that there's a world outside of his naval they are a lot more intersting.
jimmy jazz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2009, 05:55 AM   #52
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Probably my biggest musical turn around was my opinion on metal. I used to hate it, but then I heard (early) Iron Maiden and changed my mind. Then I got obsessed with black metal, something I would've hated a few months before.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2009, 05:52 AM   #53
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
radioheads probably the main one for me... in that I used to be really, really, really into them and now couldn't really give a shit. not sure what it is but I just find them really boring now - perhaps the influence they had on british indie for a while creating shit band after shit band. Or maybe they were neer that exciting. And you know everybody goes on about them. In rainbows killed it off for me. though i quite liked HTTT at the time, more so than other people.. I don't know. I tend to find also, as other people have mentioned, that things I normally get really into I usual really hate the first time around.

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.12.2009, 06:35 AM   #54
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
I used to hate the horrors. Their latest album totally changed my mind about them.
Old 07.12.2009, 11:34 AM   #55
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
I could not like Dead Kennedys and Midnight Oil after my first SY gig.

I used to like Supergrass a lot but the albums I know do not age too well. Not the songs, the sound.

A positive turn : Elvis Presley.
Every summer there would be something about him to commemorate his death and I did not like that. Phoney pictures with songs in them. Did not like him on the radio either.
Then I saw excerpts of his '68 comeback and I changed my mind. He had a great great voice and timing, as well as some pretty good songs.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth