Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Changing Musical Opinions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.02.2009, 01:06 PM   #21
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I loved the Spice Girls and Hanson for a couple years until about the age of 11... and then totally forgot about them. Now, looking back, I wonder what was wrong with me. (On the other hand... TLC was the first group/band/artist I really got into, around the age of 8, and I still enjoy their music very much.)

I went from being skeeved out by Prince, as a child, to falling in love with him, thanks to a friend playing a cassette of Purple Rain during a car trip.

Jethro Tull at one point terrified me, mainly due to the Aqualung album cover and song, and now I adore them... with Aqualung being one of my favorite albums.

I went from hating Deerhoof to loving them (thanks to focus on the guys of the band).
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 01:14 PM   #22
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Similar to my situation with Goo, Extricate was the first Fall album where I really felt that buying their albums was becoming more a dutiful habit than anything else. I've liked Fall albums since then but never in the way that I liked pretty much everything they did up to I am Kurious Oranj
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 01:17 PM   #23
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Trapped in the Closet changed R Kelly from ubiquitous RnB to Prince-esque over-inflated ego-tastic genius (although I'm still unconvinced Kelly himself understands quite why Trapped in the Closet is so brilliant).

oh, completely. he doesn't know that titc is CLASSIC.

green magnesium- a lot of folks i know got into deerhoof by listening more to the guys. see them live, though, satomi's so adorable. i'm one who loves her voice, but will say she sounds different and better live.

i used to find bruce springsteen's nebraska album so dull but now that's my favorite.
Old 07.02.2009, 01:31 PM   #24
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
The first time I heard Radiohead's Hail to the Thief, I felt it was a dreary, dull bore.

The second time I listened to it, I thought it was one of the best albums of the decade.
Old 07.02.2009, 02:04 PM   #25
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth.
Old 07.02.2009, 02:05 PM   #26
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
The first time I heard Radiohead's Hail to the Thief, I felt it was a dreary, dull bore.

The second time I listened to it, I thought it was one of the best albums of the decade.

I did too actually. When Hail to the Thief came out it was one of my least favorite Radiohead albums but nowadays, it's probably my favorite.
Old 07.02.2009, 03:01 PM   #27
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
Bruce Springsteen...always hated the guy until a couple of months ago

Same here, except it was a year or two ago when I started to like him.

I'm not proud of this, but at one point I liked Coldplay. Now I hate them.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 03:11 PM   #28
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
First time I heard The Velvet Underground, I didn't like them. Now they are one of my favourite bands. VU & Nico is my favourite album of all-time too, tied with DDN
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 03:18 PM   #29
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
^ yeah, same here. i thought the velvet underground and nico was the worst record i'd ever heard. i slowwwwly started to dig certain songs. now it's my favorite album.

i was not at all crazy about the stooges when i first heard them...
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 03:21 PM   #30
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I'm STILL not crazy about The Stooges...

I'll get my coat.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 03:27 PM   #31
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
^ yeah, same here. i thought the velvet underground and nico was the worst record i'd ever heard. i slowwwwly started to dig certain songs. now it's my favorite album.

i was not at all crazy about the stooges when i first heard them...

Yeah, now I see it as a masterpiece!

Also, I didn't like SY when I first heard them, now they are my favourite band! I probably didn't like them because at first I heard My Friend Goo, haha.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 03:31 PM   #32
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Why do so many people hate on My Friend Goo? I mean, it's not stellar, but it doesn't suck...
Old 07.02.2009, 04:53 PM   #33
sarramkrop

I can't hear what is good about Sonic Nurse at all.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 05:09 PM   #34
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
are you being silly?

Not really - I don't like that record. It has 1 good song on it, and a decent one.

It's not as bad as RR, still not good.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 05:16 PM   #35
sarramkrop

Yes, I much prefer The Eternal than those two albums. It's just a matter of taste. I thought SY became more and more boring since they put Sonic Nurse out. I am very glad that the new record is this good, yet I can't help feeling bored by them as a band, now. Probably it's just me.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 05:20 PM   #36
sarramkrop

I pretty much like all their records up until Sonic Nurse. The new album is good too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 05:23 PM   #37
sarramkrop

I'll try explaining myself a little better: I think their current output as the offcial version of Sonic Youth, as good as it is, won't have an impact on other bands like all their records up until Sonic Nurse.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 05:23 PM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I heard Caroline by Status Quo on a far-too-loud PA a few Christmasses ago. They're a band that need to be brain-meltingly loud, as opposed to on the back of a sofa advert. Otherwise, they just sound a bit poo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 05:27 PM   #39
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I heard Caroline by Status Quo on a far-too-loud PA a few Christmasses ago. They're a band that need to be brain-meltingly loud, as opposed to on the back of a sofa advert. Otherwise, they just sound a bit poo.
I've seen them playing on an old tv programme a few years ago, way before the 'in the army'-era stuff, possibly in the late 60's, and they were VERY good.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2009, 05:32 PM   #40
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I like some records by The Doors, now.

I used to love the Doors when I was 16. Now I couldn't care less for them.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth