Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Miss Manners for Creative Types
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.13.2011, 09:40 AM   #1
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Dear Miss Manners,

I'm mostly a fiction writer but I recently wrote a draft of a one-act play. I gave this play to a couple I know, both artistic. He's a painter and acts, she's a dancer and acts as well. I wanted some feedback.

I gave them a printed-out copy well over two weeks ago and I haven't heard a thing.

I realize "Please read something I wrote" is one of the more annoying requests someone can make, which is why I have NEVER before given them anything. But this piece is different. It's 30 pages, a light comedy, they're both into theater, and as I say, I just wanted some feedback. I told them so. "If you can think of any way to improve it, lemme know."

Silence.

If it sucks, I can take it. I'm used to rejection. Doesn't bother me. They know that.

But it's the silence that gets to me. Did they even read it? Or is it so bad it's unreadable? I have no clue.

In her defense, she works a lot. He, however, is unemployed and has gobs of free time. And anyway, their weekends are pretty open. Again, 30 measly pages, mostly white space.

My feelings are hurt. Am I being too sensitive? And is it up to me to badger them for their opinion if they have, in fact, read it already, or is it up to them to volunteer what they think? If my hurt is legit, how can I express it without calling them vulgar names for body parts and ruining the freindship?

Any advice would be appriciated.

Miffed Muse in Ohio
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2011, 10:04 AM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
dear muffed,

I can see how being handed 30 pages to read may seem more like an assignment than ...well... fun, but perhaps you should ask "hey have you had a chance to read that yet?" might be best before you get your feelers hurt.

don't assume that just because he's unemployed he has "gobs of time" to devote toward reading. maybe she has him cleaning the house?

again...ask / prod / whatever. if they aren't up to it, pass
it to someone else. going hyper-emo won't help your comedy. then again, what do I know? right sloavo, you commie bastard??????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????

love,

miss manners.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2011, 07:54 AM   #3
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
He called last night and invited me over.

I asked, "What's on the menu?"
"The usual. Pot. Nexflix. C'mon over."

So I went, and we three lounged around for hours, doing nothing.

I finally asked if they had a chance read it, phrased as Floating recommended.

"No. Not yet."

I nodded, taking it in, keeping my cool.

So I'll swallow it. I won't say a shitty word. She'll soon be in some goddawful production of Pride and Prejudice and I'll go like a good freind. But I can't help being a tad more bitter, in general.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth