Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Venue "Bucket List"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.05.2024, 12:39 AM   #1
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
When it comes to gigs, the musicians I'd like to see are my main concern, not the place they're playing (with the exception of some really shit venues). But all things being equal, the following is a list of venues I've never seen shows at before but would like to if I was in the area and a band or solo artist I'd like to see had a gig there:

Bowery Ballroom - New York, New York

People whose opinions I respect have had good things to say about this place, including my daughter and my brother-in-law. Well, maybe not so much my brother-in-law, who mainly wants to get plastered while a band plays in the backround.

Denver Coliseum - Denver, Colorado

I seldom go to shows at huge places anymore. But I'm impressed that this 10.500 capacity venue, opened in 1951 or 1952 is still standing and hasn't been demolished in favor of a new place that some private company wants taxpayers to pony up millions to help pay for. Maybe that's because the City of Denver owns the Coliseum.

9:30 Club - Washington, DC

A lot of history, a lot of good acts have played there, and they still get some good acts there.

The Vogue - Indianapolis, Indiana

See 9:30 Club for reasons

Jazz Kitchen - Indianapolis, Indiana

My city (Cincinnati) lost its long running jazz club due to mismanagement several years back, and no other venue has really stepped up to properly fill the void. They serve food, as the name indicates, but you aren't required to have dinner in order to see the show.

Holland Theatre, Bellefontaine, Ohio

This place has a replica model of an old Dutch village attached to the walls, not just painted on. The pictures online look so good that it must be amazing to see in person. Bellefontaine is the kind of smaller city that touring musicians never would have played back in the day. But with more bands playing more gigs to make up for lost revenue from the decline in record/CD/other physical media sales, this place gets some shows, some of which are by acts worth seeing.

Palace Theatre - Canton, Ohio

A beautiful restored theater, originally built in 1926. It was barely saved from the wrecking ball and restored to its former splendor. Mrs. Drjohnrock and i were going to go see Petula Clark here a few years back but circumstances wouldn't allow it.

Legends - Cheviot, Ohio

I might have mentioned this club in another thread. It is located in an "inner ring", traditionally blue collar suburb of CIncinnati that is an unusual locations for any venue featuring touring musicians. But the place seems to be doing all right. They book a lot of goofy metal bands that don't interest me but they host a smattering of rockabilly, punk and alternative/indie bands. I haven't been able to attend any show there yet due to personal scheduling difficulties. But eventually I'll get there.

Feel free to post your own list.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2024, 11:59 AM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
9:30 Club - Washington, DC

A lot of history, a lot of good acts have played there, and they still get some good acts there.
i have no bukkets. la fenice in venice i guess? before it sinks. just came here to say fyi the 930 in dc is not where the history actually was, that was basically a rabbit hole on f street with some deeper basement levels, but it moved in the late 90s to make room for an enormous hole in the ground where a very tall building was constructed. was that a shopping place? did i once eat there during some job? i can't say... i remember the massive hole being dug out behind the club's standing façade though. like a wall, and a big fall. whoosh!

the new place is north of u street which back then was considered an "up and coming" area, southwest of howard u. last time i visited (used to be my neighborhood when there still were crack houses and whores in logan circle) the area was covered in tall buildings and there were starbucks in every corner. the horror....

but it's been almost 30 years since that so there's still a lot of "history" in the new building i guess hahahaha. time fucking flies

in this century i used to prefer the black cat instead. black caaaat black caaaaaat! have not been there in a long time now

but yeah, mira, kim gordo is gonna play at the black cat now: https://www.blackcatdc.com/schedule.html

those websites they all look like they belong to one large conglomerate that ate everything. they probably do. bet it's the same owner across the entire region if not some transnational shit

after the wave of gentrification in the mid 00's at the peak of the housing bubble a lot of new places were built and i don't know what's what

i mean look at this! hr57 closed 10 years ago and i didn't even hear https://www.capitalbop.com/closing-h...near-u-street/

but yeah tldr the 930 has not been the actual 930 since the late 90s. v street "new" address i think? i forget. but yeah now it's like inner suburbia or times square almost (same shit) lololol

time is weird....

but yeah hm if in dc maybe check out the black cat

-

ps: before it vanishes. goddamn. no backstage or red room? fml. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_....C.,_nightclub (death... aproaches...)
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2024, 02:22 PM   #3
MisterTrick
little trouble girl

MisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's assesMisterTrick kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't been but the new Atlantis club just built right behind the current 9:30 Club is designed to be like the old F Street location down to the sightlines

have not been to Black Cat since 2018 when last saw Lee play there, was fun talking to Lee after the show, they closed the Red Room downstairs and only the upstairs remains

DC has changed so much the last 2 decades, I used to park out in front of the 930 Club for a long time, now parking is much more a hassle (Unwound is playing the late show next month so that is gonna be a mess), as a venue the sound quality is really great

for DC also recommend the new Anthem out on The Wharf, think holds 3000 plus, so a number of artists that have outgrown the 930 Club play there like Sleater-Kinney, St Vincent and all
MisterTrick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2024, 05:32 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
holy shit! https://theatlantis.com/history/ i didnt know the 930 had been something else

black cat black caaaaat! wow sounds like it really is in decline

no parking needed if you get off a u street station, but does metro run late anymore? metro, goddamn

hahahahahaha

i'm feeling terribly homesick now. i miss old dc. which is gone

today's dc is more like... montgomery & arlington county hahahaha

man, i hope bawlmor hasnt changed that much...
Old 02.05.2024, 07:18 PM   #5
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTrick
I haven't been but the new Atlantis club just built right behind the current 9:30 Club is designed to be like the old F Street location down to the sightlines

have not been to Black Cat since 2018 when last saw Lee play there, was fun talking to Lee after the show, they closed the Red Room downstairs and only the upstairs remains

DC has changed so much the last 2 decades, I used to park out in front of the 930 Club for a long time, now parking is much more a hassle (Unwound is playing the late show next month so that is gonna be a mess), as a venue the sound quality is really great

for DC also recommend the new Anthem out on The Wharf, think holds 3000 plus, so a number of artists that have outgrown the 930 Club play there like Sleater-Kinney, St Vincent and all

Thanks for the recommendations. I don't think I'll be in the DC area any time soon but stranger things have happened.I do have an old friend who lives in the area I haven't seen in a long time, so maybe a road trip in the not too distant future is in order.
Old 02.05.2024, 10:44 PM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

if you happen to be in the dc area baltimore is not far and the ottobar seems to still stand

https://theottobar.com/

lydia lunch feb 13 blonde redhead feb 20... keep scrolling....

(not that you'll be there any time soon but maybe "bucket" that place.... it used to be really great i'm going to assume still is)

fuck i am really homesick now hahahahahahaaaa, goddamn, goddamn....
-

eta: a bit of history of the black cat: https://washingtoncitypaper.com/arti...k-cat-dc-punk/
Old 02.08.2024, 04:16 PM   #7
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
Holland Theatre, Bellefontaine, Ohio

This place has a replica model of an old Dutch village attached to the walls, not just painted on. The pictures online look so good that it must be amazing to see in person. Bellefontaine is the kind of smaller city that touring musicians never would have played back in the day. But with more bands playing more gigs to make up for lost revenue from the decline in record/CD/other physical media sales, this place gets some shows, some of which are by acts worth seeing.

wow, that looks very cool. Unfortunately not all houses in Holland look like that

This reminds me of the Arlington Theater in Santa Barbara, CA. Don't think I've ever seen a concert there, but I did see a few movies there. It appears as if you're on a town square in Mexico (I guess), including a starry sky in the ceiling.

The Olympia in Paris was always high on my bucketlist, it's one of the most legendary concert venues in Europe. But then I went there some 10-15 years ago and it was a bit of a letdown. It's nowadays actually next door to the original venue I think, but it looks not classic at all on the inside. The concert was great though.

Don't have many venues on my bucket list anymore, perhaps Great American Music Hall and Bottom Of The Hill, both in San Fransisco, because I just love those names. Very slim chance I'll ever go there though

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2024, 04:44 PM   #8
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
wow, that looks very cool. Unfortunately not all houses in Holland look like that

This reminds me of the Arlington Theater in Santa Barbara, CA. Don't think I've ever seen a concert there, but I did see a few movies there. It appears as if you're on a town square in Mexico (I guess), including a starry sky in the ceiling.

The Olympia in Paris was always high on my bucketlist, it's one of the most legendary concert venues in Europe. But then I went there some 10-15 years ago and it was a bit of a letdown. It's nowadays actually next door to the original venue I think, but it looks not classic at all on the inside. The concert was great though.

Don't have many venues on my bucket list anymore, perhaps Great American Music Hall and Bottom Of The Hill, both in San Fransisco, because I just love those names. Very slim chance I'll ever go there though

Well, nowadays not that many houses in Holland look like that

Yeah, if I was ever in San Fransico and a band I wanted to see was playing there, I'd like to go to Great American Music Hall.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth