Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Put a donk on it
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.13.2009, 08:01 PM   #41
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Loathe as i am to join the discussion of a thread called "Put a Donk on It", I do hope you are all kidding when you call this crock of shit a "subculture". Its kinda insulting to any young person who may wish to make music

I quoted from the article in the magazine.

It is a subculture, though, in that a group of youngsters are into a style of music, a record shop or two is open to cater for this taste etc. A crap one it is too, but you can't call it anything else but a subculture.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2009, 08:07 PM   #42
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
There's that bloke, something Searle, I think his name is, who makes a complete fortune doing those kinds of make-overs to big pop hits. I remember him doing absolute wonders with Frankie Goes to Hollywood's 'The Power of Love'. It's a strange thing to dedicate your creative energies to though. The money's no doubt great but I can't see it being particularly rewarding otherwise. Better than being a postman though, I suppose.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2009, 08:23 PM   #43
sarramkrop

It is kind of odd, but then again there have always been record companies that employ musicians/DJ's to produce that kind of stuff to sell it to clubs, advertising companies etc. Lou Reed himself started out getting paid to write disposable songs for cheap mass-market compilations on the Pickwick label. Apparently people like Jackson Browne and others all started out by going into these corporate places to write disposable songs in a few minutes for some money in exchange.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2009, 08:40 PM   #44
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Loathe as i am to join the discussion of a thread called "Put a Donk on It", I do hope you are all kidding when you call this crock of shit a "subculture". Its kinda insulting to any young person who may wish to make music

You're kind of insulting to people in general.

But, more seriously for a second, subcultures aren't defined by an individual's will, and neither are they defined by ration. Bassline/ Happy Hardcore (from which this whole Donk thing is springing) are definitely subterfuges within popular consciousness (they certainly affect a great many more people than this board's beloved 'noise' genre), I don't see why that isn't a subculture, or at least sub-narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2009, 08:43 PM   #45
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
It is kind of odd, but then again there have always been record companies that employ musicians/DJ's to produce that kind of stuff to sell it to clubs, advertising companies etc. Lou Reed himself started out getting paid to write disposable songs for cheap mass-market compilations on the Pickwick label. Apparently people like Jackson Browne and others all started out by going into these corporate places to write disposable songs in a few minutes for some money in exchange.

It's a fascinating process. I've known a handful of corporate writers - nice people, but definitely backroom geeks. The thing for me is that there's lots of 'you lift me up' (or whatever that Westlife song was called) but there haven't been a pop team as magnificent as Xenomania since... SAW? the Pet Shop Boys? It's a cunt, writing decent pop.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.14.2009, 05:28 PM   #46
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=demonrail666]Why?[/quote

Because not only do i not like the music, it has nothing else about it that i can at least admire. So yes, i hate the idea of standards being so reduced and this falls right under that umbrella

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2009, 08:13 AM   #47
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

I'm fascinated by that tradition. Anonymous hit writers and shapers. The 'Brill Building Sound', etc. Relatively unsung heroes of pop: Laura Nyro, Carole King, Claus Ogerman, et al. That ability to write great pop to order has been denigrated over the years, with artists too eager to write their own material regardless of whether they're actually any good at it. Being a great guitarist/singer/whatever doesn't necessarily equip you to write something as marvelous as 'Up on the Roof' or a raft of other written to order gems.
Old 02.20.2009, 01:58 PM   #48
Glice
invito al cielo

Donk-umentary

Quote:
Old 02.20.2009, 02:45 PM   #49
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

Speechless! Genuinely speechless. I just watched all five parts. I seriously need to find a way of downloading it. This CANNOT be lost. "Fat lads on steroids", "Air Max and bikinis" I had no idea! I'm going to cook some dinner now, bring it upstairs and I'm gonna watch it again. I'm in a daze.
Old 06.29.2009, 08:18 AM   #50
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I just watched all of that and then did a search for donk on here.

Just 24 hours ago I was blissfully unaware of this whole scene. Worst youth subculture of the last 15 years? Quite possibly.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2009, 08:32 AM   #51
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not that aware of the current state of UK youth sociodemographics, but isn't this something that chavs listen to?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2009, 08:36 AM   #52
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
I'm not that aware of the current state of UK youth sociodemographics, but isn't this something that chavs listen to?

chavs on steroids.
also 14-15 year old boys and girls (growing up to become chavs)

it has to be seen to believe it... burnley's buzzin'.
Old 06.29.2009, 08:36 AM   #53
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
"pre-chav music"

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 06.29.2009, 08:38 AM   #54
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pre, present and post
(doesn't surprise me glice enjoys it either, given his happy hardcore leanings)

anyway, glad i don't live there.
Old 06.29.2009, 12:29 PM   #55
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
donk died for somebody's sins, but not mine.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2009, 12:46 PM   #56
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
if I were still a DJ, I would be forced to change my name to Donk E-Kong.

although I haven't had a chance to visit links and hear for myself, I won't be shocked to learn that donk was heavily influenced by wonky.

in fact, wonky-donk could very well be the NEXT BIG THING (I'll be registering Wonky Kong too, just in case).
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2009, 03:57 PM   #57
_slavo_
invito al cielo

Quote:

as demonrail said, that's just ubelievable.
a fine crafted mixture of everything wrong about teenage people. drugs, cheesy dumb music, stupid aggresive steroid-soaked assholes, violence ... and tracksuits.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
Old 06.29.2009, 04:44 PM   #58
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
tracksuits are a cross generational thing, aren't they? shared by both chavs on the donk scene and grandpas in florida.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2009, 05:47 PM   #59
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
woah
I had never heard of this donk scene before checking this thread, and I must say I'm pretty amazed. Worst thing is, "Put A Donk On It" isn't even the worst thing to come out of this - try checking Chemical Crew's "What's A Donk", it's even worse.
Could it be the english equivalent for french's tecktonik?
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2009, 05:52 PM   #60
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
these guys sure put on a great live show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aLUx...eature=related
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth