Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Unhealthy Obsessions that led to psychic decline
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.03.2009, 03:42 PM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
My friend can't listen to eighties metal anymore because when he does he descends into a mindset dominated by junk food, lager and basic silliness that gets in the way of work, being a dad, hygiene, to the extent that he now visibly shudders at the merest mention of the names Diamond Head and Tygers of Pan Tang.

I have the same problem with Eyehategod and Crowbar.

Any other bad musical obsessions that you now fear returning to in case they lead to downward-spiral-itas - usually marked by lifestyle dodginess and general mental decay?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Drum n' bass. Someone made me a mix CD with loads on recently, and it just makes me want to take masses of gurners. I can listen to pilly music, but not DnB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2009, 07:32 AM   #3
sarramkrop

The Smiths

I was really into them as a teen. Thankfully I had the good sense of being into many other things too, so now I can't bear listening to their records without feeling comatose. They were a great band, but I came to the conclusion I only really like the music and loathe Morrisey, his lyrics, his persona etc. It's been easy to reach this conclusion 'cause I wish some people would give me a fucking break about the man.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2009, 07:34 AM   #4
sarramkrop

On the other hand I have developed a strong affinity with punk/hardcore in the past two years which I had never really felt so much before.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
the smiths have one of the worst drummers i've ever heard
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2009, 12:31 PM   #6
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I did used to really like The Smiths, but not in an unhealthy way. Although I did dabble with vegetarianism for about an hour after listening to Meat is Murder, leading to weird skin issues. So maybe it was.
Old 01.05.2009, 05:52 PM   #7
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the smiths have one of the worst drummers i've ever heard

i could name a few of the drummers in bands you like that are shitty , yet we like to turn a deaf ear when overall everything sounds just about right, don't we?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2009, 05:59 PM   #8
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
If a band has an incredible drummer, it's noticeable and enjoyable. But if the drummer sucks, it doesn't really matter. As long as he can keep a beat with the snare on 3, the others can work around it.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2009, 05:59 PM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have that same issue with Pink Floyd's THE WALL.

I became obseessed with it at age 13-14, watched the movie too muhc, listened to the album too much, and was in just a very negative depressed , suicidal place. (middle school was the pit of hell at the time) and to this day I cannot listen to anything off the WALL, especially RUN LIKE HELL without my mind leaning towards that dark void that I worked so hard to escape from.
Old 01.05.2009, 06:13 PM   #10
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Listening to the Sisters of Mercy at 16 convinced me that wearing cheap reflective mirror shades and pointy suede winklepicker boots that fell apart after 2 months was a grand idea. Add to the fact that I thought that Andrew Eldritch was a truly immense talent of a singer, leads to a Melly obsessed with wanting to be a bloody Leeds goth himself. Fact - I actually got into playing guitar because I used to have dreams of playing onstage with Wayne Hussey! Thank God I was also listening to Big Black and the Butthole Surfers at the same time...

Rob - Christ, I also remember going through a bunch of personal shit a few years back, and on listening to "The Thin Ice" (A LOT), would break down. I can still listen to "The Wall" on the whole, but there's some odd and not entirely pleasant memories that said record holds for me.
Old 01.05.2009, 06:47 PM   #11
demonrail666
invito al cielo

The Wall seems to be a big one for those that've dipped a toe into the dark side. I've never actually heard it, which is probably for the best.
Especially when I was spending a whole summer two years ago smoking silly amounts of weed, eating spaghetti on toast and listening to this and this, fucking constantly. Scary times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
pointy suede winklepicker boots that fell apart after 2 months was a grand idea.

Ah yes. When Shelley's in Oxford Street seemed like the answer to all of our 'alternative' aspirations.
Old 01.06.2009, 03:30 AM   #12
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, this is an awesome thread.

Eh...sigh. Apologies because they are a band mentioned overmuch. Alas, I was a teen in the late nineties.
But smashing pumpkins definately pull me back someplace I dont want to be anymore. Somewhere that wasnt quite real - nostalgia for something that never happened. At the time, it signified endless youth and cherishing the pain of every movement. But after its over, there is that bitterness to ignore, like a shadow to kick off with hind legs.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 03:33 AM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno. I guess I don't enjoy listening to any riot grrl stuff (not that there's much good in that, uh, "genre" anyway) because a girl I dated ONLY listened to that shit. Either way, regardless of anything, Kathleen Hanna sucks.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 04:01 AM   #14
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Do you have it out for most female vocalists now?
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 10:11 AM   #15
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
sugar - the substance - is basically what I have to watch out for to avoid depression, although cheap shit, nutritionally stripped pseudo-food like say hyperprocessed crackers or chips are also bad.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 10:37 AM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
No.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 01:41 PM   #17
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
The Smiths

I was really into them as a teen. Thankfully I had the good sense of being into many other things too, so now I can't bear listening to their records without feeling comatose. They were a great band, but I came to the conclusion I only really like the music and loathe Morrisey, his lyrics, his persona etc. It's been easy to reach this conclusion 'cause I wish some people would give me a fucking break about the man.

this. I too blame Morrisey.

thank gawd I can still listen to the Sisters of Mercy.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 06:53 PM   #18
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
i could name a few of the drummers in bands you like that have some pretty shitty drummers, yet we like to turn a deaf ear when overall everything sounds just about right, don't we?

no that guy makes the rest of the band sound worse, i listen to plenty of music made by people who aren't "good" musicians, but the drummer from the smiths, and the bassist too to be honest, are just fucking depressing.
Old 01.06.2009, 06:56 PM   #19
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
If a band has an incredible drummer, it's noticeable and enjoyable. But if the drummer sucks, it doesn't really matter. As long as he can keep a beat with the snare on 3, the others can work around it.

yeah but when you have a good guitarist and a distinctive singer having a worthless rhythm section is just idiotic, i mean if you can play with flair or imagination why would you want a pair of inspid fucks like the smiths rhythm section in your band?
Old 01.06.2009, 09:33 PM   #20
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Mike Joyce's drumming may not have been all that spectacular but Andy Rourke has always struck me as an excellent bass player. Some of his playing on the The Queen is Dead album is really quite brilliant.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth