Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I'm interested in Blur. Anyone wanna soot the shit about them?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.21.2019, 03:57 AM   #61
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
Awww come on, Clint Eastwood rules.
I'm not saying it doesn't
Gorillaz are excellent - Demon Days is one of my favourite albums. Also funny that a side project cartoon band is more popular than his real band
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2019, 12:53 PM   #62
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
A Blur vs Oasis thread. Ah but this one only addresses their big hits. Good idea - let's do the yoof but only discuss the popular stuff like Bull in the Heather and Little trouble girl. Foken ace mara!

Blur had decent satirical lyrics based around 90's lad culture and that's about all you're going to get. Girls & Boyz for example. Shag aboot on holiday with the heard foken 90's mate. Ave it! But have Yee heard the music? Disco? Yee f'real? (I done a popular one, gaff -ignore) Stereotype being slightly less shit...props lads props.

I'm not sure how anyone could prefer this bland toff shite to say something like fade away, ciggies n' alcohol, or some might say...
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2019, 01:02 PM   #63
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
"Battery in Your Leg" can sometimes get me weepy, when I'm all hormonal and vulnerable.

Still think it's a career highlight.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2019, 01:10 PM   #64
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
A Blur vs Oasis thread. Ah but this one only addresses their big hits. Good idea - let's do the yoof but only discuss the popular stuff like Bull in the Heather and Little trouble girl. Foken ace mara!

Blur had decent satirical lyrics based around 90's lad culture and that's about all you're going to get. Girls & Boyz for example. Shag aboot on holiday with the heard foken 90's mate. Ave it! But have Yee heard the music? Disco? Yee f'real? (I done a popular one, gaff -ignore) Stereotype being slightly less shit...props lads props.

I'm not sure how anyone could prefer this bland toff shite to say something like fade away, ciggies n' alcohol, or some might say...

I hate “Girls & Boys.” That’s not the Blur I GAF about.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2019, 02:39 PM   #65
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Parklife swings wildly between your heartfelt songs ('End of a Century', 'To the End', even 'Clover Over Dover') and the pisstakes. Like, who the hell thought 'Parklife' was worth becoming your title track?

Still wouldn't change it for the world, though.
Old 02.28.2019, 02:46 PM   #66
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Parklife swings wildly between your heartfelt songs ('End of a Century', 'To the End', even 'Clover Over Dover') and the pisstakes. Like, who the hell thought 'Parklife' was worth becoming your title track?

Still wouldn't change it for the world, though.

Yeah, I don’t care for britpoppy Blur. I like the stuff they did when Gorillaz was probably starting to turn into an idea in Damon Albarn’s noggin. When they pseudo-grungified their sound to make themselves more marketable to Americans, and hid a bunch of weirdass tracks that sound like Beck or Pavement outtakes on the same album with the four-chord anthem.

Still better than Oasis. Even the early, weeny Stone Roses stuff.

I think you need to be a working class British dude or an American with extremely limited exposure to music even “get” Oasis. It’s just dumb crap.
Old 02.28.2019, 02:52 PM   #67
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

You can look at it this way: Leisure was not that good, and if they'd kept pursuing that style they would never have been as popular as they are now. So they had to make a few pop albums (that said, this is good pop) to gain enough commercial clout to be able to afford the change.

And Parklife is a really diverse album anyway, it covers a lot of ground.
Old 02.28.2019, 03:44 PM   #68
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, I don’t care for britpoppy Blur. I like the stuff they did when Gorillaz was probably starting to turn into an idea in Damon Albarn’s noggin. When they pseudo-grungified their sound to make themselves more marketable to Americans, and hid a bunch of weirdass tracks that sound like Beck or Pavement outtakes on the same album with the four-chord anthem.

Still better than Oasis. Even the early, weeny Stone Roses stuff.

I think you need to be a working class British dude or an American with extremely limited exposure to music even “get” Oasis. It’s just dumb crap.

And if you don't get the hyper intelligence of Blur you're obviously not educated enough? Riiight
Old 02.28.2019, 05:07 PM   #69
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Blur are so bland it us sureal.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2019, 06:34 PM   #70
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

really nice job at conflating class with intelligence you wet towel of a human being

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2019, 06:35 PM   #71
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
have you ever actually heard music? or do you just read about it?

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2019, 09:12 PM   #72
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
really nice job at conflating class with intelligence you wet towel of a human being

Oh, you stopped on by to be a giant dick! It’s Christmas. Thank you, little one.

I didn’t conflate the two. Maybe you’re too young to remember — oh yeah, you are — but Oasis deliberately aligned themselves with the working class as a marketing technique, pegging Blur as the rich prep school boy’s band. So I’m going with what I hear from fucking Oasis and Oasis fans.

Oasis relishes their dumbness.

“People who write books are fucking idiots.” — Noel Gallagher

I didn’t design the PR manual for these fucks. They preach this shit.
I think they’ve even said only working class people can get them.
And they were being sincere.
I was just messing about trying to get you to come wipe my ass for me.

ALSO your hypocritical little (probably) alt-right ass attacked my intelligence because I like Nine Inch Nails, so fuck yout. Jesus you’re just the worst.

But anyway, good for you for liking Oasis a bunch and rushing to their defense and putting me in my place.

Do you think Sally can wait?
Old 02.28.2019, 09:36 PM   #73
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
And if you don't get the hyper intelligence of Blur you're obviously not educated enough? Riiight

Nah, like ¾ of Blur’s music is super dumb.

I was not being serious. Obviously this shit has nothing to do with how smart you are. But Oasis is into playing up that angle, and some of their fans do it too. Like kind of a Donald Trump, gleeful rejection of “liberal elite” and so on.

Basically, Guest = Trump.
Old 03.01.2019, 05:54 AM   #74
Diesel
the destroyed room

And yet Kanye is alright to align with Trump though?

I'm not sure why you'd compare the Stone Roses to Oasis as they have nothing in common other than geography. Same with the Beatles. I'm pretty sure both of these bands never played loud, distorted power chords and had a town crier for a singer - a band like The La's have far more indebted influence. You've repeated the cliche bullshit as was written by journalists who took anything auld big heads would say as gospel for a headline grab. Bigger than the Beatles et al. Guest merely pointed it out.

Dont early Oasis lyrics have you believe they are under-class outcasts? What does it matter what he said she said? Liam Gallagher once said he IS John Lennon. Music>pr. If anything they started out with a worthy cause in rebellion against the saturated rave scene of the time coupled with council estate frustration and anger which made for an honest sound. Blur on the other hand wanted to fit into the madchester baggy rave scene and join the Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, Charlatans and the Stone Roses in bringing that dated dance beat to rock music. When the scene burned out along came their stab at pop: Country House etc ad nauseum to infinity..

I know a couple of lads who are in well paid management roles who are mod Oasis freaks. They volunteered to clean Shields beach and ended up sacking it off to go on the lash all day. Just a couple of good time George sand dancer lads wanting a knees-up. Canny as owt; wouldn't touch yr mother! Now, if they were Blur fans it's guaranteed that once the beach was clean they would be home in time for the one show, then settling down for recipes from the bass players cook book before congregating for midnight mass. Which would you rather be?
Old 03.01.2019, 06:24 AM   #75
Diesel
the destroyed room

Aaaal the people. Syg people. They all go hand in hand. Hand in hand through their...

Old 03.01.2019, 08:02 AM   #76
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
And yet Kanye is alright to align with Trump though?
I'm not sure why you'd compare the Stone Roses to Oasis as they have nothing in common other than geography. Same with the Beatles. I'm pretty sure both of these bands never played loud, distorted power chords and had a town crier for a singer - a band like The La's have far more indebted influence. You've repeated the cliche bullshit as was written by journalists who took anything auld big heads would say as gospel for a headline grab. Bigger than the Beatles et al. Guest merely pointed it out.

No, I was saying even BLUR’s early, “weeny Stone Roses” stuff is better than Oasis if you have to compare the two.

Also, no, until Kanye walks back his Trump support, there’s no defense for the way the moron acts in public. I can’t just make myself unlike his music, but as a person he’s full of shit and I think I’ve been pretty clear about my feelings on TrumpYe.

I legitimately don’t know or care if you think I’m repeating what music journalists write. Most music journalists make me want to puke and I read very little of it anymore and certainly don’t base my opinions on what they have to say, but think what you want.

Quote:
Dont early Oasis lyrics have you believe they are under-class outcasts?

Yes, that’s part of my fucking point. Or the point of my pointless shittalking. Yes. Jesus Christ. Read!

Quote:
I know a couple of lads who are in well paid management roles who are mod Oasis freaks. They volunteered to clean Shields beach and ended up sacking it off to go on the lash all day. Just a couple of good time George sand dancer lads wanting a knees-up. Canny as owt; wouldn't touch yr mother! Now, if they were Blur fans it's guaranteed that once the beach was clean they would be home in time for the one show, then settling down for recipes from the bass players cook book before congregating for midnight mass. Which would you rather be?

Yeah, again, I didn’t really mean it. I figured I could get away with being a crass asshole about Oasis, but apparently being an asshole is reserved for others.

The music you like doesn’t impact or change your class or intelligence, or vice versa. Your class doesn’t determine your intelligence, or vice versa. (I’m sure there are correlations, but those are meaningless without context).

Jesus I don’t even hate Oasis that much. Some hummable songs. Mostly garbage, but whatever.

I’m not passionate enough about Oasis one way or the other to even keep taking about this, but I want to make it clear that Guest is an asshole who only pops in to say nasty shit and judge people, mercifully only about twice a year.

Also wanna reiterate that the comparison was between Blur and Stone Roses, not Oasis. Though Oasis probably has more in common with Stone Roses than they did with the Beatles. Sound fucking nothing like the Beatles, honestly. Few chord choices here and there are Beatle-rips, but there’s very little similarity sonically.
Old 03.01.2019, 09:26 AM   #77
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Generally speaking British social class is too convoluted for Americans to understand anyway. In your country class = wealth. In our country it's a combination of factors and wealth isn't really one of them
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2019, 09:59 AM   #78
Diesel
the destroyed room

Quote:
No, I was saying even BLUR’s early, “weeny Stone Roses” stuff is better than Oasis if you have to compare the two.

Also, no, until Kanye walks back his Trump support, there’s no defense for the way the moron acts in public. I can’t just make myself unlike his music, but as a person he’s full of shit and I think I’ve been pretty clear about my feelings on TrumpYe.

I legitimately don’t know or care if you think I’m repeating what music journalists write. Most music journalists make me want to puke and I read very little of it anymore and certainly don’t base my opinions on what they have to say, but think what you want.

Yes, that’s part of my fucking point. Or the point of my pointless shittalking. Yes. Jesus Christ. Read!

Yeah, again, I didn’t really mean it. I figured I could get away with being a crass asshole about Oasis, but apparently being an asshole is reserved for others.

The music you like doesn’t impact or change your class or intelligence, or vice versa. Your class doesn’t determine your intelligence, or vice versa. (I’m sure there are correlations, but those are meaningless without context).

Jesus I don’t even hate Oasis that much. Some hummable songs. Mostly garbage, but whatever.

I’m not passionate enough about Oasis one way or the other to even keep taking about this, but I want to make it clear that Guest is an asshole who only pops in to say nasty shit and judge people, mercifully only about twice a year.

Also wanna reiterate that the comparison was between Blur and Stone Roses, not Oasis. Though Oasis probably has more in common with Stone Roses than they did with the Beatles. Sound fucking nothing like the Beatles, honestly. Few chord choices here and there are Beatle-rips, but there’s very little similarity sonically.

By Jonjo sevvy - can't be arsed to cut and paste.. "Yes, that’s part of my fucking point. Or the point of my pointless shittalking. Yes. Jesus Christ. Read!"

What I'm saying is they were under-class outcasts, below even working class skummos which can be an admirable trait in any start-up band. Much like most rap artists starting from nothing but pure societal anger born of creative frustration. I'd agree they became heroes of many a wanker from all walks of lower social classes but hey you didn't mean it so...I win the internet for biggest pedantic pessimist of all tiiime @Kanye Trump shlagger!

By sevy balesteros (pro 18 hole-er)
"Blur + stone roses"
Oh. Ok. Now that you point it out ...that baggy dance beat in the Blur track 'there's no other way' is actually a verbatim copy of the Fools Gold beat. Blur plagiarist Brit-pop Facts!

In lew of this thread I tried to listen to Definitely Maybe but lasted only 10 seconds before inevitable mental breakdown. Then put the La's on. Oasis ploughed this bands aesthitic the most and the Sex pistols.

...Oasis defense has rendered my mind infertile...I'll see you all in 10 years for the next brip-pop reunion thread.
Old 03.01.2019, 10:13 AM   #79
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
By Jonjo sevvy - can't be arsed to cut and paste.. "Yes, that’s part of my fucking point. Or the point of my pointless shittalking. Yes. Jesus Christ. Read!"

What I'm saying is they were under-class outcasts, below even working class skummos which can be an admirable trait in any start-up band. Much like most rap artists starting from nothing but pure societal anger born of creative frustration. I'd agree they became heroes of many a wanker from all walks of lower social classes but hey you didn't mean it so...I win the internet for biggest pedantic pessimist of all tiiime @Kanye Trump shlagger!

By sevy balesteros (pro 18 hole-er)
"Blur + stone roses"
Oh. Ok. Now that you point it out ...that baggy dance beat in the Blur track 'there's no other way' is actually a verbatim copy of the Fools Gold beat. Blur plagiarist Brit-pop Facts!

In lew of this thread I tried to listen to Definitely Maybe but lasted only 10 seconds before inevitable mental breakdown. Then put the La's on. Oasis ploughed this bands aesthitic the most and the Sex pistols.

...Oasis defense has rendered my mind infertile...I'll see you all in 10 years for the next brip-pop reunion thread.

1. Ok! I got it.
2. It’s “in lieu of...” ...
3. Yah, Blur’s much more guilty of ripping off the Stone Roses than Oasis, whom I honestly don’t have a good comparison point for. That’s how boring their music is to me. Which is not to say their music is only for dumb people or whatever ...
Old 03.01.2019, 10:59 AM   #80
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Oasis copped a large amount of their attitude off The Stone Roses but musically, at least in the beginning, they were more Slade than anything.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth