Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page NR Essentials #15: Pixies - Pixies At The BBC
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.18.2009, 07:48 PM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Pixies
Pixies At The BBC
1998, 4AD

The Pixies are very high on my list of best bands ever and this compilation is a pretty good explanation of why. Though SURFER ROSA is easily my favorite Pixies album, it obviously only highlights one aspect/era of the band. And no matter how many times the labels have tried, a "best of" never quite seems to get the story right. But this. This collection of tracks recorded for various BBC sessions throughout the band's rather short career is so fucking perfect, it's almost unreal.

Unlike the usual bestof/greatesthits/singles collections, the set list here is actually super weird. It combines singles, covers, bsides, etc with no regard for commercial viability. The surf tracks mesh with the rawk tracks and creepy riffs and droney singing and..... I can't even say it right. But more importantly, every track is fucking awesome.

The set opens with "Wild Honey Pie." Do I need to say anything else? It opens with a fucking WHITE ALBUM Beatles cover. What the fuck? Who does that? And then it lurches into a version of "There Goes My Gun" that makes me think the DOOLITTLE version totally flacid. Actually same goes for the LP versions of "Is She Weird?", "Subbaculta," and "Hey" to be honest. The versions here are so much more spontaneous and intense sounding.

Throw in a perfect take on the b-side "Manta Ray," the UK Surf version of "Wave Of Mutilation," and OM fucking G... "The Lady In The Radiator Song" from muthafuckin' ERASERHEAD!!!

This album is the balls, dudes. Fucking get it.
Old 06.18.2009, 09:22 PM   #2
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Like it, hate the cover
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2009, 04:25 AM   #3
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Not the best pixies release but still great.

Nice thing to know that their first 'session' was just some things of the purple tape being played.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2009, 04:58 AM   #4
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
I'll look into this. I saw Pixies play last week, really enjoyed it
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2009, 08:37 AM   #5
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubarret
Not the best pixies release but still great.

Right. Like I said SURFER ROSA is my favorite album. But I think all of the DOOLITTLE recordings here are much better than the LP versions. Much better. "There Goes My Gun" alone is worth the price of this CD. And like I said this to me is the best collection, if yr in the mood for Pixies with no specific era/album in mind.
Old 06.19.2009, 08:57 AM   #6
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

This album is the balls, dudes.

funny you should say that, I can't get over thinking that's frank black's nutsack on the cover.

anyways, when I'm in the mood for the pixies (and I'm not listening to Trompe), this is what I listen to. I love The Lady In The Radiator.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2009, 09:01 AM   #7
noisereductions
invito al cielo

funny you mention TROMPE... Last night after listening to this I threw TROMPE on and I swear, I always forget HOW GREAT that record is. I feel like it's always sort of looked at as like a disappointment or something. I think song-for-song, it's better than BOSSANOVA. And have I mentioned how much I hate the production on DOOLITTLE? Because I do. The songs are great. But the production fux it.
Old 06.19.2009, 09:05 AM   #8
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I rarely pay too much attention to other's opinions about music. it's too subjective of an experience.

Trompe le Monde is EASILY in my top 10 favorite albums ever.
Old 06.19.2009, 09:39 AM   #9
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I wouldn't say I pay a lot of attention to others opinions per se, but if everyone on the board says "this album's awesome," then I'll probably check it out, to see if I like it. Y'knowutImean?
Old 06.19.2009, 09:58 AM   #10
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
This is going to sound like I've never wiped my own ass, BUT, I've been searching through all the ''Essentials'' thread by various posters and I have to say that you sir (noisereductions) have either:

A.) Got your shit together.

B.)Are 11,have heard none of these records and spend a lot of time googling opinions on various websites and message boards.

C.) both and and b

or

D.) Are addicted to drugs, fast food and addictions.
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2009, 10:07 AM   #11
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
This is going to sound like I've never wiped my own ass, BUT, I've been searching through all the ''Essentials'' thread by various posters and I have to say that you sir (noisereductions) have either:

A.) Got your shit together.

B.)Are 11,have heard none of these records and spend a lot of time googling opinions on various websites and message boards.

C.) both and and b

or

D.) Are addicted to drugs, fast food and addictions.

I dnt really think I have my sht together. But it's not B or D, so...
Old 06.19.2009, 10:20 AM   #12
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
The answers are always a combination of everything and nothing.
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2009, 11:54 AM   #13
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Trompe was for the longest time my least favourite Pixies album. I really didn't like it very much, and totally got why people thought it was such a disappointment. Then one day I just happened to give another chance in the right mood and it completely fucking blew me away. So stunning on so many levles, and waaaay too overlooked. As a whole album, it's a strong candidate for there best. Destroys Bossanova. The way the tracks are programmed, especially on the first side, so they just each catapult into the next is unbeliavable. Like every track is a classic, and there's no break between them, so before you've even absorbed how much your face has been rocked off you're already thrown into another classic. Amazing amazing album. I mean seriously, Trompe Le Monde, Planet Of Sound, Alec Eiffel, The Sad Punk, Head On, U-Mass, Palace Of The Brine and Letter To Memphis right after each other in like 18 minutes? How is it even possible for one album to bring so much awesome so quickly? Everyone else who didn't give it time, lkike me at first, needs to give it another listen. I don't have the BBC album, but now I'm really psyched to get it.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.19.2009, 12:02 PM   #14
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

D = R x T
Old 06.19.2009, 12:20 PM   #15
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Trompe was for the longest time my least favourite Pixies album. I really didn't like it very much, and totally got why people thought it was such a disappointment. Then one day I just happened to give another chance in the right mood and it completely fucking blew me away. So stunning on so many levles, and waaaay too overlooked. As a whole album, it's a strong candidate for there best. Destroys Bossanova. The way the tracks are programmed, especially on the first side, so they just each catapult into the next is unbeliavable. Like every track is a classic, and there's no break between them, so before you've even absorbed how much your face has been rocked off you're already thrown into another classic. Amazing amazing album. I mean seriously, Trompe Le Monde, Planet Of Sound, Alec Eiffel, The Sad Punk, Head On, U-Mass, Palace Of The Brine and Letter To Memphis right after each other in like 18 minutes? How is it even possible for one album to bring so much awesome so quickly? Everyone else who didn't give it time, lkike me at first, needs to give it another listen. I don't have the BBC album, but now I'm really psyched to get it.

with you every step of the way.
Old 06.22.2009, 08:48 PM   #16
noisereductions
invito al cielo

bumped. because. you know what? this album is awesome.
Old 06.22.2009, 08:52 PM   #17
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Manta Ray is one of my all time favorite Pixies songs. I did like it better when Kim sang "In Heaven" during the reunion
Old 06.23.2009, 07:16 AM   #18
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Kim's version of "In Heaven" was great. Yes. But when this record came out, it was like "dude! This is the ERASERHEAD song! Yo!"

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth