Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Shows you've seen where you had never heard ANY of the new tunes yet..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.24.2012, 07:41 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Have you been to CD release shows are seen a really kick ass opening act or seen a band you've never heard of and they just blew you away?

Isn't it great to see a show of raw, new music with ZERO expectations, to have the entire show be an endless surprise. Its like taking the joy of listening to a brand new record and amplifying times a thousand to have that same joy shared communally with an audience, and further through the mystical ritual of live musical performances!

I saw Shannon Wright open for Sleater-Kinney at their release show for One Beat. I hand't ever heard of her, and she was so utterly amazing that I had to ask somebody next to me who she was. I ran out and got several of her albums, and NONE of them had the material she performed. It was edgy, gutted, ethereal, with fierce teeth. That kind of guitar work wasn't released until two years later as the album Over the Sun, which she made with Steve Albini entirely to try and duplicate the rare sound of her live gigs which was not present on her well polished and produced albums. Also, I had never heard One Beat yet, that show was intense on all fronts! We left literally deafened with our ears ringing for days because it was so loud, so blasting, so pure rock and roll! I loved it!

I also saw Wild Flag before they even released any music on the internet or otherwise, I had no IDEA what to expect. That show was so great, to hear such music I hadn't heard from Carrie or Mary in years, and it was so good! It only increased my appetite and hopes for an album which came out a year later.

I've seen several reggae artists who I had never heard before until the show, such as Tippa Irie, The Itals, the Abyssinians, Beres Hammond, Queen Ifrica, all of which are in my steady rotation now.

Any shows you saw that was purely new music to you? Share

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2012, 10:09 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
how could I forget the Deftones Self-Titled release secret show at the Roxy in 2003. 150 people. I got the tickets for hearing the announcement at 330 AM listening to the radio when I was a graveyard security guard at a movie studios lot. They said, FREE DEFTONES SHOW, be a the wienersnitchel's parking lot in San Bernardino at 12PM to get tickets. That shit is two hours from LA by the way, they made it sound like the show was going to be that night or even afternoon in San Berardino. When I got there around 8 I was literally the first person there. I got my tix at 12:08, that was when I found out when the show was and where, at the Roxy the next week.

they played EVERY single song from their catalog at that point, the show was well over two hours, no opening bands, no bullshit, just straight into it from the gate. Midway Chino said, "Wait I bet y'all wanna hear some of the new shit? Fuck that it don't come out till midnight!" and he meant it, they didn't play a single new song until the encore. Fucking KICK ass..

In fact, here is the first video clip I've ever seen of this show, the first time I've seen anything about it over 9 years

Hexagram At the Roxy..

in fact, you can see me and my girlfriend's hands (I recognize my watch and hand gestures) here.. what is even more surreal about this clip is if captures a memory I've never forgotten, of Chino collapsing there on that rail leaning on the crowd..

When I first heard this tune, the crowd simply erupted!!

Old 09.24.2012, 11:13 PM   #3
dale_gribble
100%

dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses
YES. but only very recently

dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2012, 11:39 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale_gribble

kiss and tell, we can revive this forum.

Old 09.25.2012, 02:23 AM   #5
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
sure.
i trust my instinct on music and movies.
it has also helped that most of such gigs have taken place in festivals i have been. locally or abroad.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2012, 06:14 AM   #6
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
SY played 1000 leaves before it was released. Few in the audience had any idea what was happening. Is this what yr asking?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2012, 07:04 AM   #7
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale_gribble

Buke and Gaze?

This band White Mystery opened for Shonen Knife....they were pretty fuggi'n rad. I had to buy a cassette.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2012, 07:19 AM   #8
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
The Kills at Lollapalooza.

I hadn't listened to Midnight Boom, but holy fuck they rocked the fuck out of those songs. Literally the following day I had to go out and buy the album. It's still probably my favorite Kills album.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2012, 10:42 AM   #9
Dude McDude
bad moon rising

Dude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's assesDude McDude kicks all y'all's asses
Bon Iver at way out west this summer. I'd never listened to them before. They opened with Perth. Blew me away completely.

Also, seeing these gentle men live for the first time was a delightful experience indeed. Still is.

the colony of unlimited power will pass a despot of hardly any man
Dude McDude is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2012, 10:54 AM   #10
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Jane's Addiction - a few months ago.

Wait, did we have to think that the new material was awesome?

Uh....let me keep thinking about it then.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2012, 01:41 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
SY played 1000 leaves before it was released. Few in the audience had any idea what was happening. Is this what yr asking?

That would qualify yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
The Kills at Lollapalooza.

I hadn't listened to Midnight Boom, but holy fuck they rocked the fuck out of those songs. Literally the following day I had to go out and buy the album. It's still probably my favorite Kills album.

I saw the Dead Weather this way too.. My pops had sent me a disc but I hadn't got to listen to it entirely yet. Then I saw randomly that they were playing that night at Jimmy Kimmel, so I went over there, got in, and saw a kick as 5 song set that was intense. Allison is insane, she is like a female Jim Morrison!

Old 09.25.2012, 03:15 PM   #12
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
mf doom

my friend had turned me onto him and i was listening to the first viktor vaughn cd and danger mouse (which had just come out) and he didn't do ONE song from the new album but I thought the whole show was great.

there was even one part where he put the mic in front of me for this part in a chorus to a song and i just had no idea (like lois in the KISS episode of family guy) so i just my hands up and did an i dont know face, he went to the guy behind me and he didnt know either and then finally the third person he put the mic in front of knew the chorus and mf doom went "get that guy a t shirt!". but yea overall all that show turned me into a massive mf doom fan.

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2012, 03:34 PM   #13
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MF DOOM err.. TheMadcapLaughs again.

Old 09.25.2012, 11:26 PM   #14
dale_gribble
100%

dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Buke and Gaze?

yep, it's gass though. and actually i saw victor wooten before i knew who he was and i saw les claypool perform before i started really listening to his stuff.

dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2012, 05:17 PM   #15
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
you made two versions of the same thread? You dastardly devious motherfucker

I first saw Ikara Colt as a support band to Idlewild (slightly notable indie band from about 10 years ago). It didnt BLOW MY MIND or anything, but it was the first time id ever heard them, and they were a big dirgy, fun group who shouted alot, and i liked them immediately. 10 years later noone else remembers them, but i do, and they still inspire my username

<-------------------------

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2012, 09:23 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

How could I forget my VERY first show? Sleater-Kinney the Hot Rock release March 1999 at the Roxy Theater. That show was pure magic. We had NO idea what to expect from the new album, we were expecting some Dig Me Out kind of riotgrrl, and I tell you, there are few albums as simply good as the Hot Rock

Old 09.28.2012, 09:23 PM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

How could I forget my VERY first show? Sleater-Kinney the Hot Rock release March 1999 at the Roxy Theater. That show was pure magic. We had NO idea what to expect from the new album, we were expecting some Dig Me Out kind of riotgrrl, and I tell you, there are few albums as simply good as the Hot Rock

Old 09.28.2012, 09:57 PM   #18
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
how could I forget the Deftones That shit is two hours from LA by the way

isn't two hours in cali traffic like a five minute walk?
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2012, 10:36 PM   #19
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
isn't two hours in cali traffic like a five minute walk?

Haha. Yes, from my pad to Downtown, Santa Monica, the Westside, or the Valley in traffic is also two hours, but that was two hours in the opposite direction heading east up the mountains, or "up the hill" as locals from the high desert and the IE call it.

No traffic and you can get there in 20 minutes, but that of course is driving in typical LA fashion of around 85-100

Old 09.29.2012, 08:17 AM   #20
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Hood (opening for Mogwai).

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth