Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Lets Share Some Music With Each Other..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.24.2009, 02:05 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I'll go first:

Shannon Wright 'Dyed in the Wool' (complete album mp3 in *.zip)

From Amazon
"
Dyed in the Wool, her third solo album, amalgamates elements of all of Wright's previous musical personalities, and then some. Listeners who have only heard Wright's solo work would be taken aback by twistily brilliant leadoff track "Less Than a Moment" -- electric guitars on a Wright record? Yes, before her solo acoustic guitar/piano/drum glory, Wright was a terrific electric guitarist. (Listen to Crowsdell's addictive guitar-pop anthem "Down" and you'll hear why.) A darkly elegant bassline, pounding drums, ringing electric chords, some haunting vocal chants, and a sardonic lead vocal combine to make the ultimate anti-rock song, one without a big foot-stomping chorus you can latch onto, but with a terrible majesty all its own. It stands entirely outside of anything solo Wright has ever done, and its daring is exhilirating. "The Hem around Us" sounds more familiar, an elegant fingerstyle guitar with a waltz drumbeat tapping insistently, but its vibe is unique, and when those eerie vocalizations come in, it feels like a twisted marriage of nightmare and dream. "Vessel for a Minor Malady"'s blend of piano and strings is absolutely gorgeous, sounding almost Renaissance-like, while "Hinterland"'s chorus sounds like an old English ballad, though added to its aggressive drums and rolling piano pattern, it defies categorization. "Method of Sleeping" sounds like a very moody movie score, with some of Wright's most naked vocal work to date. It reminds me of Caroline Crawley's vocal work on This Mortal Coil's "Last Night". "Surly Demise" begins life as the most conventional folk song Wright has recorded since her early single "A Tin Crown for the Social Bash" (an achingly beautiful song available only as an import vinyl single) but takes a trademark Wright left turn midway through. "Colossal Hours" shows Wright broadening her instrumental compositions as well, much more complex melodically and arrangement-wise than her previous instrumentals, "Holland" and "Regulation Scorrer", sounding regal and indeed colossal in a classical-music way. "The Path of Least Persistence" rocks out in a major way evoking that great Crowsdell rock vibe that I've missed, though with such strange melodies that it's like a Frank Zappa guitar solo with the percussive punch of Vs.-era Pearl Jam. And album closer "Bells" is just pastoral beauty incarnate, sparsely arranged with piano and voice, elusive lyrics attempting to mask emotions which the fragile voice betrays.
All in all, I don't really think there's another artist who embodies pure expression and instinctive musicality as Wright -- except, perhaps, Neil Young. Both are artists working in an innovative language of their own design, and both are never less than interesting. At her blinding peaks, of which there are many, Shannon Wright is breathtaking, the most resourceful American songwriter of today."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Elvis - an American Trilogy. Because, as silly as it is, it's also fucking amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It may interest some of you to know that I've incorporated an Elvis floor-punch into my darts celebrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I love Shannon Wright. It's criminal how underexposed she is. She should be as popular as PJ Harvey.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2009, 06:33 PM   #5
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
erm the Shannon Wright LP is certainly not OOP.

/killjoy
Old 08.24.2009, 06:35 PM   #6
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite is probably her work with Yann Tiersen. Dyed In The Wool is the only album of hers that I haven't heard yet.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.24.2009, 09:36 PM   #7
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Noe Venable - The World is Bound By Secret Knots.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7H183VAW

Your Shannon Wright post reminded me of this because Pandora recommended some of her music when I made a Noe Venable playlist. Anyway, this is probably her most accessible and traditional album and it's awesome. Most of her music is sorta freak-folkish. This one has weird mixes of electronic loops and real instruments, the music is sometimes almost groovy psychedelic hippie stuff, but she manages to incorporate a lot of other sounds, and sparse use of guitar. And the lyrics are insanely poetic, deep and visual. She should be as popular as Shannon Wright and a million times more popular than that lameass Joanna Newsom, who sounds mildly similar to her, except with a much harsher, uglier voice and more pretension. Toward the middle and end it gets a little overly girly for me, but it picks up again at "Lilies". Not my usual type of stuff, but it's very good.

I don't like to share this album because it's not out of print, but I know almost no one has heard of her and I want more people to get the change to listen. If you like it, buy it. She has a lot of albums on her website www.noevenable.com

NOTE- there are some duplicate tracks on here, MP3s that aren't great quality. Just delete them.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.25.2009, 02:11 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
I love Shannon Wright. It's criminal how underexposed she is. She should be as popular as PJ Harvey.

even more so..

Old 08.25.2009, 03:53 PM   #9
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y6FYOX7A

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6JXR3UJP
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.25.2009, 04:01 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

yes Iyah! this was getting into the spirit of the thread. thanks for posting some old school, I haven't seen that name in years!

With this thread, by Share i was implying file sharing

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth