Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Jesus and Mary Chain 2012 Tour
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.13.2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
So I just picked up tickets to see the JAMC on September 6th in Atlanta. I missed out on JAMC in their hey-day, but am wondering if anyone around these parts has seen them in 2012 (or in recent years). I'm pumped either way, but what should I expect?
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2012, 02:15 PM   #2
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Psychocandy sucks though.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Starcat
bad moon rising

Starcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's asses
Lucky... I might splurge and go to Hopscotch music festival in North Carolina this fall, where they're sort of headlining. I'm worried that they've gone the way of Gang of Four or The Fall and are just too old to have their edge, especially since the really great Mary Chain songs like the ones on Psychocandy featured a very different lineup. I have no idea what to expect.

Starcat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2012, 02:26 PM   #4
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
^
who are you & what have you done with the real Starcat?

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
but what should I expect?
Don't expect anything then you won't be disappointed.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2012, 03:17 PM   #6
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen them multiple times 'back in the day' when they were famous for never leaving their stools.

I'd love to see them again. Not sure if they are coming back to Texas soon though..
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2012, 03:20 PM   #7
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcat
Lucky... I might splurge and go to Hopscotch music festival in North Carolina this fall, where they're sort of headlining. I'm worried that they've gone the way of Gang of Four or The Fall and are just too old to have their edge, especially since the really great Mary Chain songs like the ones on Psychocandy featured a very different lineup. I have no idea what to expect.

The Fall may not be very good these days but they still have their edge, in many ways the most edgy part of The Fall (in this century anyway) is they will deliver a steaming pile of rubbish now and then, like a teenager harrassing you by dumping medical waste on your doorstep in the middle of the night, but at least you know they will help you clean it up the next morning.

Anyway, almost all of these reunions have looked utter dogshit with the notable exceptions of Mission of Burma and Swans. Apart from that, the shit stuff from the eighties has remained essentially shit, whereas the good stuff has defiled itself in front of you by getting back together and essentially achieving nothing.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.13.2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Starcat
bad moon rising

Starcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic sphere
^
who are you & what have you done with the real Starcat?

Why is this something that I wouldn't say? I love gang of four and the fall and jesus and mary chain especially, which is why I'm afraid that they wouldn't be able to recreate alignment of stars that made them perform great songs decades ago

Old 07.13.2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Starcat
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
The Fall may not be very good these days but they still have their edge, in many ways the most edgy part of The Fall (in this century anyway) is they will deliver a steaming pile of rubbish now and then, like a teenager harrassing you by dumping medical waste on your doorstep in the middle of the night, but at least you know they will help you clean it up the next morning.

Anyway, almost all of these reunions have looked utter dogshit with the notable exceptions of Mission of Burma and Swans. Apart from that, the shit stuff from the eighties has remained essentially shit, whereas the good stuff has defiled itself in front of you by getting back together and essentially achieving nothing.

That's a cool metaphor even if it doesn't make much sense... The fall is still edgy though I suppose, in that you get to see Mark Smith stumble around and spit a lot. That still doesn't mean I'll pay $80 to see him perform. I feel like it would just make me sad

Old 07.13.2012, 09:55 PM   #10
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcat
That's a cool metaphor even if it doesn't make much sense... The fall is still edgy though I suppose, in that you get to see Mark Smith stumble around and spit a lot. That still doesn't mean I'll pay $80 to see him perform. I feel like it would just make me sad

Its not a metaphor, its a literal statement of my actual opinion.
Unless youre talking about the medical waste thing, which is a similie. But anyway,

I wouldnt pay that much to see MES at this stage either, i saw them in 2006 and then again at a festival in 2010 and had a great time at both. He has been stumbling around since about 2002 when he got a consistent live band together. I dunno if youve heard any of the albums from the last 10 years, but a couple of them are really good, and even the others have some decent moments even if they are stinky as a whole

Old 07.14.2012, 04:00 AM   #11
Starcat
bad moon rising

Quote:
Its not a metaphor, its a literal statement of my actual opinion.
Unless youre talking about the medical waste thing, which is a similie. But anyway,

I wouldnt pay that much to see MES at this stage either, i saw them in 2006 and then again at a festival in 2010 and had a great time at both. He has been stumbling around since about 2002 when he got a consistent live band together. I dunno if youve heard any of the albums from the last 10 years, but a couple of them are really good, and even the others have some decent moments even if they are stinky as a whole

I guess I owe them a listen... I've been going off of live performances that I've seen online and the reports of disappointed friends. I still count them as a favorite, though.

Old 07.14.2012, 06:54 AM   #12
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Dinosaur Jr's reunion tour that featured You're Living All Over Me was mint. I have to believe that album sounded better now-a-days than it did in the 80's. Their subsequent albums have been pretty damn solid too.
Old 07.14.2012, 06:56 AM   #13
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Quote:

Dinosaur Jr's reunion tour that featured You're Living All Over Me was mint. I have to believe that album sounded better now-a-days than it did in the 80's. Their subsequent albums have been pretty damn solid too.
Old 07.14.2012, 06:56 AM   #14
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Quote:

Old 07.14.2012, 06:57 AM   #15
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Quote:

Old 07.14.2012, 06:57 AM   #16
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Quote:

Old 07.14.2012, 01:19 PM   #17
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Reading the same point four times in a row is a better analogy for listening to Dinosaur Jr than anything i could come up with, i must say.

Old 07.15.2012, 09:30 AM   #18
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Don't expect to have your life altered, as it may have been if you'd seen them in 1986, but if you go in with an open mind and realistic expectations, you'll be satisfied. They can still put on a show, and they're definitely worth seeing. They're one of my favorite bands and I wish I'd been more than four years old when Psychocandy was released.

Psychocandy shit? Give me a fucking break.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2012, 10:15 AM   #19
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I can't think of many bands that would be pleased to play in front 90% of
the morons who post on internet music forums.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2012, 02:08 PM   #20
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Don't expect to have your life altered, as it may have been if you'd seen them in 1986, but if you go in with an open mind and realistic expectations, you'll be satisfied. They can still put on a show, and they're definitely worth seeing. They're one of my favorite bands and I wish I'd been more than four years old when Psychocandy was released.

Psychocandy shit? Give me a fucking break.
I didn't see them in 1986, but I saw them in 1987 and it was dull as ditchwater. Saw them play a greatest hits set in 2007, and it was 100x better.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth