Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Warpaint: LA's brilliant shoe-gazing, ambient rocking ladies
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.07.2012, 01:26 PM   #101
tripsk
bad moon rising

tripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's asses
they only have one album I believe called The Fool. they also have an EP called 'Exquisite Corpse' which is also amazing. I'd check that out if you enjoy the fool.
tripsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2012, 04:22 PM   #102
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
i've heard some things on youtube. pretty dope. what's their best record?

this bootleg is their best record that I've heard yet

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2012, 12:35 AM   #103
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
this bootleg is their best record that I've heard yet
I'm still missing that live recording in my collection. If I remember correctly, you said you'd upload the .flac files for me a long while ago, SuchFriendsAreDangerous, but then you didn't. Would you still be willing and able to share those files some time (hopefully soon)?
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2012, 12:56 PM   #104
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
ouch. I forgot. I get baked sometimes. I will try to make it happen, especially this its seemed to become contraband, I simply can't resist the joy of sharing pirated music. "I think we should destroy the bogus capitalist process that's destroying youth culture by mass marketing and commercial behavior control and the first step to do is to destroy the record companies."

Thurston Moore

Old 05.09.2012, 12:28 PM   #105
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

sorry, here is a link to that Spaceland bootleg

What really sucks is I totally forgot I have FiOS now and so it literally took just a few seconds to do that. When I uploaded some Shannon Wright and Spells tunes to share with y'all, it took an hour on DSL

Old 05.15.2012, 12:19 AM   #106
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the files, despite their lossiness. I won't consider such a recording as a pirate release nor even a bootleg, unless it was taken down because someone was making a profit off it, which wouldn't go to the band's hands. According to my point of view, a good audience recording, a capture of an FM broadcast (I'm looking at you, KEXP) or even a decent HD video, might even be actually helpful to bands and record labels in the sense that it helps to spread something closer to a notion of what are the virtues and flaws in the band's music, and thus could either create interest or not in the consumer to go buy the official artifact (or not), based on one's own judgement rather than on someone else's hyperbole guided by some other interests. I understand how an artist can consider even a youtube video as a detrimental tool against them and what they do, and even as an act of stealing music, though. Anyway, thanks again for the upload. I am still interested in a lossless copy and probably should e-mail that blogger with a trade offer, but the .MP3s you have provided should suffice for a while, SuchFriendsAreDangerous. Much appreciated.
Old 05.15.2012, 01:44 PM   #107
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Thanks for the files, despite their lossiness. I won't consider such a recording as a pirate release nor even a bootleg, unless it was taken down because someone was making a profit off it, which wouldn't go to the band's hands. According to my point of view, a good audience recording, a capture of an FM broadcast (I'm looking at you, KEXP) or even a decent HD video, might even be actually helpful to bands and record labels in the sense that it helps to spread something closer to a notion of what are the virtues and flaws in the band's music, and thus could either create interest or not in the consumer to go buy the official artifact (or not), based on one's own judgement rather than on someone else's hyperbole guided by some other interests. I understand how an artist can consider even a youtube video as a detrimental tool against them and what they do, and even as an act of stealing music, though. Anyway, thanks again for the upload. I am still interested in a lossless copy and probably should e-mail that blogger with a trade offer, but the .MP3s you have provided should suffice for a while, SuchFriendsAreDangerous. Much appreciated.

Those WarPaint files are exactly as I downloaded them from the original link

Simply put, shutting down bootlegs is the same old dinosaur label tactics which I quoted Thurston criticising over twenty years ago. We have come a long way forward in the indie and diy music game, but we still have a few more dinosaurs to outlast.

[quote] and they will die.. and then we'll move into their homes." Kurt Cobain

Old 05.17.2012, 02:19 PM   #108
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

At first I thought I was downloading a lossy copy given the very small file-size, but now that I am trying to unzip the file I downloaded from 4shared, I'm guessing your upload got corrupted, SuchFriendsAreDangerous, since my 7zip cannot deal with it. How big is the folder on your hard drive where you have stored the audio files that you actually listen to?

Furthermore, I find erroneous your concept of "bootlegs" applied to live recordings like this specific one, and certainly see it as having a different impact on the band and the labels than the one you perceive. I taped Warpaint's performance in Mexico City last year, but I hope my eyes are damned if I am to be considered a "bootleger". If the circulation of a live recording of any given band's performance were to be considered an act of stealing from them and their label's pockets, then a radio session for KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic or a TV broadcast (for instance) would be just as detrimental as well. I understand that many times a bad capture can be unflattering and an unfair representation of the live performance and a good one has even the potential of becoming an official release. Both good reasons for getting a recording taken off a blog. Just an speculative thought, though. In this case, I don't know what's the deal behind Warpaint's management asking for that Spaceland recording to be removed, and I haven't come across their taping policy yet, but I do have the impression they actually are not strongly opposed to being documented, and I surely hope it works to their advantage in the sense that they end up selling more merch and records maybe as a tiny consequence of the free flow of information and diverse files. I am vehemently against piracy, though. Anyway, hopefully they'll be releasing new material soon...
Old 05.17.2012, 09:20 PM   #109
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
I am vehemently against piracy, though. ..

When record labels or bands ask live recordings to be removed from the web, these become bootlegs by definition. further, we just have this philosophic difference, because I am all about piracy when it comes to music, because the music industry is a pirate robbing artists and fans mutually.

Old 07.21.2012, 04:53 PM   #110
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
For those who haven't downloaded the file from dimeadozen (and before it gets pulled from mediafire):
Paléo Festival, Nyon, 07-18-12 (MP4)

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth