Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page I'm looking for a certain type of Ring Modulator pedal
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.03.2009, 09:10 PM   #1
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
A polyphonic Ring Modulator pedal that either has a footpedal attached, or supports an expression pedal, and not part of a multieffects board. Does that exist? For example, The Android Ringmodulator

would be perfect since it supports expression pedals, but I'm sure it's probably monophonic and that is not what I want.
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
There's this

And perhaps this (although I don't see EXP pedal input):
http://www.eowave.com/instruments.php?prod=2

This is mono with EXP and effects loop:
http://www.buyanalogman.com/Ring_Mod...-modulator.htm
Old 02.03.2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Also the Eventide Modfactor has all your specified but I'm not sure if it is what you'd call "multi effect"
http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivisio...ModFactor.aspx
Old 02.03.2009, 10:10 PM   #4
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Snarling Dogs Mold Spore (it is in a wah enclosure)
Moog MF-102
Copilot FX Android (I have an Antenna bit crusher, it's awesome)

Also, it doesn't have an expression pedal- but the EHX Frequency Analyzer is really awesome and the knob is so big you can tweak it with your foot. And the bass boost switch (filter switch) fucking rules. What's nice about the Frequency Analyzer is since it uses 40V is that it has a ton of headroom and it's completely clean in tones, allowing for the best chiming metallic tones. But it sounds monstrous with fuzz.

And all ring modulators are polyphonic. Except for octave effects and tracking ring mods like the Mothership. For two reasons:

1. A ring mod takes your incoming notes and adds and subtracts them from it's internal note from an oscillator. On an octave up pedal, instead of using the oscillator, it just uses a copy of your guitar signal. So your pitch + your pitch = octave up, your pitch - your pitch = 0 hz. When you combine two polyphonies with ring mod, it's just going to come out as noise because there are just so many resulting frequencies from the math.

2. A tracking ring mod or octave down adjusts the internal pitch of the VCO by tracking your notes. When you play a note it fails to track and starts to jump all over the place. Even if it had polyphonic tracking though, it would go back to the issue in one where you're combining two polyphonic signals.

Of course, playing a chord into a ring mod is going to come out as pretty ugly, unless you're playing the write chord. But that's because of the math involved. All those notes and all those microtones combined are just going to come out as atonal. If the internal pitch is tuned to E and you play an E or an A chord, it will come out as pretty, because the root notes sound good ring modulated, and the odd harmonics added to the 3rd and 5th sound cool without dominating. The E is either doubled or halved, and a 1st + a 5th and a 1st - a 5th in ring modulation sounds aesthetically pleasing.

Though I love to purposefully play the wrong tones for some serious gronkage.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2009, 10:42 PM   #5
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
And all ring modulators are polyphonic.

My friend has one that definitely is not. To hit more than a single string at a time doesn't even make an intelligible sound. Just sounds like tv static.

Also, does the moogerfooger support expression pedals?

really the sound I'm trying to get is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN7lEAShGjM

Yes I AM trying to copy the sound that Ronald Jones is making at the beginning of that song. I want to make that sound with my guitar. But that's really not the main reason I want one. Really for everything else it's capable of. Digitech should really make a Ring Mod unit with a footpedal attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdMNq0eUX4I THAT is what I want to be able to do with a ring modulator. Exactly that. Can a moogerfooger do that?
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2009, 10:56 PM   #6
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
What ring mod does he have?

The Moog has expression inputs for every control. The Snarling Dogs,

And in regards to that video the Moog, Copilot, or EHX (with foot knob tweaking) should all be able to do stuff similar to that.

I actually just plugged in my Frequency Analyzer, and it does that very well. I've owned mine longer than any other guitar pedal I have.
Old 02.04.2009, 11:56 PM   #7
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth

really the sound I'm trying to get is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN7lEAShGjM

in front of his mic he has a half a pic of the cover of EVOL
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2009, 12:57 AM   #8
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

On this FX forum I post at, this guy is making homemade Lovetone Ring Stingers (lovetone was this crazy awesome FX company that made crazy awesome pedals) for 425 a piece shipped. Might be a little out of your price range, but the Ring Stinger is a bad ass pedal.
Old 02.05.2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Oh...I thought this thread would be about hightech sex toys.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2009, 04:02 PM   #10
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
I would highly recommend the Moog pedal. Actually I want that CV expander to hook in some other effects. But yeah, most of their pedals can take an expression, being that they are all CV controlled (I believe) aaand their expression pedal is pretty neat/cheap. I'll prob pick up the expression first actually. Otherwise I would go the homebrew/custom route.

The Moog Ring Modulator plus their new multi-controller pedal would be phenomenal
Old 02.05.2009, 05:06 PM   #11
al shabbray

after lee recommended me the moogerfooger I bought it, and have never regret it.

lovely tone
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2009, 05:40 PM   #12
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

check this out BTW

www.optionknob.com

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth