Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sincerely underrated bands...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.11.2010, 04:33 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Bands who really don't get the credit they fucking deserve. There are tons out there, but these stick out in my mind.

1. Game Theory

Really. Why the hell aren't these guys mentioned along the likes of R.E.M., the Pixies, Sonic Youth, etc... They made a shitload of records, two of which are absolutely perfect, "Lolita Nation" and "Two Steps from the Middle Ages". Total crime that no one talks about them anymore.

2. Pale Saints

Beautiful songs. Interesting sound. Much better than Cocteau Twins who they oft get compared to.

3. Pengo

To me, they have been one of the best freak psychedelic noise bands forever now. I rarely listen to noise unless I'm on drugs these days, but I still find myself listening to "a Nervous Splendor" often.

There are more, but these are on my mind right now.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2010, 04:46 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
Bands who really don't get the credit they fucking deserve. There are tons out there, but these stick out in my mind.

1. Game Theory

Really. Why the hell aren't these guys mentioned along the likes of R.E.M., the Pixies, Sonic Youth, etc... They made a shitload of records, two of which are absolutely perfect, "Lolita Nation" and "Two Steps from the Middle Ages". Total crime that no one talks about them anymore.

2. Pale Saints

Beautiful songs. Interesting sound. Much better than Cocteau Twins who they oft get compared to.

3. Pengo

To me, they have been one of the best freak psychedelic noise bands forever now. I rarely listen to noise unless I'm on drugs these days, but I still find myself listening to "a Nervous Splendor" often.

There are more, but these are on my mind right now.

Jimi Hendrix.

seriously. I mean, sure, everybody thinks they know why Jimi is the shit, but MOST people don't have a fucking clue about the genius of Jimi in 1969/1970

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2010, 04:55 PM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Pretty much everything I pay attention to. LEO ANIBALDI is the best/most underrated electronic musician ever. I'd say Harry Partch is still quite underrated. Rich Woodson's Ellipsis, the most complex band of ALL TIME, is underrated. ALL great j-indie stuff is underrated over here.

I dunno, I could go on all day.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2010, 06:50 AM   #4
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

2. Pale Saints

Totality, and since where in the shoegaze world Lush is very underated as well.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2010, 07:18 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone remember the days where you could get a pocket knife from 25cent gumball machines? Were kids stabbing each other or poking their eyes out in the 70's? If only people were aware the only REAL danger is just how much fear and paranoia has ruined reality...
Old 06.12.2010, 07:39 AM   #6
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'd say Harry Partch is still quite underrated.

Oh, hugely. I'd say that, for example, The Wayward easily ranks up their with the most interesting and original compositions in 20th Century composition. His stuff also has the benefit of, aside from any analysis of it's groundbreaking nature, just being really fucking fun to listen to. I mean obviously theory wise he's fascinating, but then on top of that his stuff is just really beautiful and strangely accessible in a way that most of the people he's compared to just aren't. I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that, especially in his use of voices, his work is just really emotionally unrestrained and, well, fun, both of which are qualities that are often lacking in 'modern classical' music.

Although it's an obvious one for this forum, wider music word speaking I'd also add to the list Polvo, who still just blow me away on regular basis. I mean obviously they still get a certain degree of respect, but I honestly can't see why a record like Today's Active Lifestyles isn't consistently ranked as one of the defining records in American indie.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2010, 08:32 AM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Def. man... TODAY'S ACTIVE LIFESTYLES simply blows away whatever "indie" shit is popular.. Pavement and Dinosaur and so on..
Old 06.12.2010, 11:34 AM   #8
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2010, 11:46 AM   #9
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
1. Game Theory

Really. Why the hell aren't these guys mentioned along the likes of R.E.M., the Pixies, Sonic Youth, etc...
"The band had been given positive reviews in rock magazines, and had enjoyed much airplay on college radio. However, many factors got in the way of greater success. Soon after the release of their 1989 album, Two Steps From the Middle Ages, their record label, Enigma Records, went out of business. In addition, there were conflicts within the group as their guitarist and vocalist Donnette Thayer left the group to form Hex with Steve Kilbey of The Church. Finally, drummer Gil Ray sustained an injury, causing him to bow out part way through their promotional tour."
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.12.2010, 01:05 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

Shannon Wright: powerful independent and creative song writer who was so underappreciated in the US that she moved to France to make a living and has become rather popular there. Every album is ridiculously good, and quite different and evolving then other bands/artists. Its hard to say which Shannon Wright era is the best, she has swung from coffee shop music (Maps of Tactic/Flightsafety) towards electronic/art rock with teeth (Dyed in the Wool) to a fierce thrash/punk sound (Over the Sun) which she tours with.. dreary ambient all acoustics with Yann Tiersen (Shannon Wright/Yann Tiersen S/T).. mellow john lennon-pop (Let in the Light) to a syncretic blend of it all with this last one Honeybee Girls which really sounds like a contemporary french college rock album..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2010, 10:33 PM   #11
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Rory Gallagher: I sort of feel like I'm posting this in the wrong forum but anyway: with all the hero-worship surrounding Hendrix, Clapton, Page, et al, Rory Gallagher remains something of a cult figure, despite the story that, when Hendrix was asked how it felt being the greatest guitarist in the world, he replied "ask Rory Gallagher". Whatever you may think of that statement (and there's every chance Hendrix never said it at all) there really was something special about his music. Anyway, here's a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjxhwNrhIgA

Apologies to Paulybee and any other Irish posters here, who are nodoubt sick of hearing all this by now. From what I understand, Rory Gallagher has virtual God-like status there.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2010, 10:42 PM   #12
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Goon Moon

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2010, 12:44 AM   #13
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Porcupine Tree

When it comes to modern prog metal, people would rather listen to Dream Theater, but John Petrucci's constant wanking and their singer's (don't know his name) constant wailing just ruins the whole deal for me.
Old 06.17.2010, 01:18 AM   #14
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
ELO.

Seriously though.......Acid Mothers Temple. Some assume the very frequent releases = shit quality control. But imho, the quality of most of their releases is extremely high. Especially the recent In 0 to Infinity. Fuck that's a great cd!!!
Old 06.17.2010, 01:40 AM   #15
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Goon Moon

a'ight already, what is it with bands with mask? .... just kidding (seriously though)

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2010, 08:11 AM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Fuck yeah, Goon Moon rules, I've been into them for a long time... ROCK WEIRD! WEIRD ROCK!
Old 06.17.2010, 08:58 AM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
HOOD. I love all their shit. I love how their songs tweak from shoegazey sounds and odd beats to skronk of the highest caliber. I love all their records, and their shit always amazes me, but I never ever hear anyone, here in Houston or on the internet corners I haunt talking about them.

I love Hood.
Old 06.17.2010, 09:56 AM   #18
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Telstar fucking Ponies.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2010, 09:57 AM   #19
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
+1 on Hood too. And Ganger deserve a fuckload more love than they get.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2010, 12:15 PM   #20
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
HOOD. I love all their shit. I love how their songs tweak from shoegazey sounds and odd beats to skronk of the highest caliber. I love all their records, and their shit always amazes me, but I never ever hear anyone, here in Houston or on the internet corners I haunt talking about them.

I love Hood.

i like Hood quite a bit...have tracked down virtually all their singles and comp tracks, and then they put out those cds. bastards!

anyway, even the bracken and downpour and remote viewer projects are worth hearing too.

for straight-ahead rock bands, Versus should have been huge.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth