Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Kool Keith thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.16.2009, 07:04 PM   #21
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbrim
Sex Style is older than Black Elvis, isn't it? I thought it was released around 96/97 and Black Elvis a couple of years later.

It seems like a tough job keeping up to date with the guys output. I've only really heard those two and The Return of Dr. Octagon (which I thought was alright), and my mate told me Dr. Doom 2 is a really solid album.

yeah, black elvis is later than sex style
complete discography here: http://www.koolkeith.co.uk/index07.htm
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2009, 07:25 PM   #22
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbrim
Sex Style is older than Black Elvis, isn't it? I thought it was released around 96/97 and Black Elvis a couple of years later.

yes and no. Sex Style is actually the first KK solo album (originally released as EROTIC MAN) but it was re-released officially as SEX STYLE in 2001 or so if I remember correctly.
Old 11.16.2009, 07:26 PM   #23
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
and he'll go up to every rapper after shows and start being like "who's doper,geto boys or NWA" "do you like kool g rap better than ice-t?" "who's doper pete rock or large proffessor"

Geto Boys, no, and Pete Rock.
Old 11.16.2009, 07:38 PM   #24
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i just downloaded the personal album from a blog, i'm really enjoying it, it's pretty weird.
Old 11.16.2009, 07:39 PM   #25
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yeah it's weird all right. I dont like it though. But he put out a bunch of albums just like it during that era (White Label Series, Execution One, etc) so it was sort of tiring.
Old 11.16.2009, 07:49 PM   #26
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

oh ok, i'll have to check those out. the white label one is a collab with a female rapper right? i'm curious to hear how an out and out perv like kool keith holds up over a whole record with a lady...
Old 11.16.2009, 07:51 PM   #27
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Nancy Des Rose. I think they were a couple, cuz there's a track called "I Love You Nancy" on there. Like most of these records, there's a few really good tracks. Then some crap. But there's a really good one on WHITE LABEL that samples "Love Is A Battlefield"...
Old 11.16.2009, 09:12 PM   #28
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I remember when BLACK ELVIS dropped, the press announced that Kool Keith was hip hop's Sun Ra... and I was like, "actually. Yeah! He is!" But now, I think he's hip hop's Robert Pollard: a constant flood of new albums. Could use some self-editing. But at the same time, he's all the more interesting for just doing what he fucking feels like. And there's always a handful of OMG tracks on his albums no matter.
Old 11.16.2009, 09:21 PM   #29
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, and like Robert Pollard, a perfect compilation of his work would fucking slay the majority of his contempories, even if many of the albums touched upon are hard to sit through...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2009, 09:24 PM   #30
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I mean even his classic albums, which are great throughout their run time, like, say, Dr. Octagon, are unbalanced in terms of having a couple of tracks that just rise massively above the rest of the album, like with Blue Flowers and Biology 101.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 11.16.2009, 09:29 PM   #31
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

sun ra was a real intellectual which kool keith isn't. i think pollard is more consistant than kool keith.
Old 11.16.2009, 09:36 PM   #32
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
sun ra was a real intellectual which kool keith isn't. i think pollard is more consistant than kool keith.

I havent decided. I mean I've read some Kool Keith interviews that are so.... alright listen. In 2002 or so Kool Keith was going on and on about how Southern Hip Hop was the only interesting hip hop. He referenced the interesting cadences, and the minimalism of the beats. Back then I was like WTF IS HE TALKING ABOUT??? But NOW, I realize he knew what the fuck was up.

Also, I'd say Keith and Pollard have similar track records. And trust me, I've been just as obsessive about both of them.
Old 11.11.2010, 06:44 PM   #33
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

I'm bringing this back from the dead to comment on just how fucking amazing 'First Come, First Served' is. I've finally been massively clicking with it lately, and right now it sounds like one of the most underrated hip-hop records, period. Easily the equal of Dr. Octagonecologyst (spelling?), and it's probably dated better. The whole squelchy low-fi vibe of the whole thing just kills me, and his FLOW, jesus! Next-level shit right there. As a side note, I think there are definitely some similarities between this and my current love for the OF crew. Totally essential record.
Old 11.11.2010, 08:18 PM   #34
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
I'm bringing this back from the dead to comment on just how fucking amazing 'First Come, First Served' is. I've finally been massively clicking with it lately, and right now it sounds like one of the most underrated hip-hop records, period. Easily the equal of Dr. Octagonecologyst (spelling?), and it's probably dated better. The whole squelchy low-fi vibe of the whole thing just kills me, and his FLOW, jesus! Next-level shit right there. As a side note, I think there are definitely some similarities between this and my current love for the OF crew. Totally essential record.

it's far and away my favorite Kool Keith album. It's easily one of my favorite hip hop albums of all time. "No Chorus" alone is the most ridiculous diss track EVER. I love it.Everything about it is brilliant.
Old 11.12.2010, 05:38 AM   #35
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

There are certain tracks on here where Keith is just so off on the wonderful tangent to everything else in hip-hop, just in terms of his flow, that it's really hard to get your head around, in the best way possible. Like 'Dr. Doom's In The Room'? FUCK! He's pushed his rapping to literally the furthest possible distance from the beat, while totally being almost supernaturally on it. Like if he's just on the edge where he'd be actually disconnected from it at times, but then you realise that each time he flies out there it's to come snapping back into step in some way you never expect. Mindblowing. 'You couldn't rap with me if we was twins stuck together, you'd be the deformed one, catchin' the warm one...'
Old 11.12.2010, 01:35 PM   #36
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
First Come First Served is one of the most brilliant hip hop records ever produced. It has style, attitude, beats for days that are actually musical and challenging to the ear, and of course is genius concept album. A gangsta rap album that is not even remotely gangsta! Dr DOOOM is like Scarface but with a better sense of humor, and unlike gangsta rap albums, it is not personal. Dr DOOOM does not name names, he keeps it strictly anonymous in his shit talking, and it pays great dividends.

The Diesel Truckers is some good shit, and of course Dr Dooom II is nearly as genius as First Come First Served.. I also was really into the Mr Nagatco and also the Thee Undatakerz..

but as I am sure you noticed, I only really get down with that Kutmasta Kurt shit, and that DARK kool keith, that gothic Kool Keith, that out there kool keith shit.

He is one of the most brilliant artists in hip hop, and is an artist in the truest sense of the word, something entirely missing from hip hop and rap music. I think that is the kind of artistic genius that separated Tupac from other rap as well, the difference between approaching the music as a kind of gam and approaching the music as a kind of art form. Artists are different from actors and commedians, most rappers and hip hop artists are just actors, where as a select few are sincerely artists.

"I wake up early every morning, and iron my power pants, stand a power stance"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2010, 01:53 PM   #37
noisereductions
invito al cielo

suchfriends glad you repped Undertakerz... that album is AMAZING. Probably my 2nd favorite Kool Keith album of all time. It came out during a flood of albums he was doing, and a lot of them were bad (like Official White Label with Nancy Des Rose, and the Lost Masters which was just so-so, etc) but I feel like nobody even noticed Undertakerz. That album is insane. The beats are amazing. The concepts just everything. And who teh F were those other rappers? I remember even really liking the female MC, but they were all just like nobodies that I never heard of before or after. Aw man I love that album. Amazing.
Old 11.12.2010, 06:41 PM   #38
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
He is shit. Fucking hell man!

When was Octagon? Ages agan thats when, when IT was good,,,,,..l.;..,..
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2010, 11:06 PM   #39
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
He is shit. Fucking hell man!

When was Octagon? Ages agan thats when, when IT was good,,,,,..l.;..,..

you don't know what the fuck yr talkign about. Anyone who thinks Octo is his best album has boring ears. Go watch MTV or something.
Old 11.12.2010, 11:53 PM   #40
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Keith = Dope
I first heard blue flowers and this one ultramagnetic mc's song on Thrasher: Skate and Destroy for PS1. Really solid unique sound
I downloaded his discography about a month ago and only listened to about a quarter of the albums.
Did anyone know that KRS-ONE was close to joining Ultramagnetic Mc's? I wonder if that was before or after Keith joined? either way, would've been cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiJ2E0xGOv8
anyone heard this? pretty ill!
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth