Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Ten Groups My Son Likes That Make Me Happy I Reproduced
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.15.2009, 09:52 AM   #21
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
my son is 12 and doesn't give a flying fuck for music.

he went through periods where he liked The Pixies, Modest Mouse and Olivia Tremor Control, but that was years ago.

he gave up on Modest Mouse when he heard them playing at a Sonic Drive-In. "Modest Mouse....at Sonic? pffftt *eyerolls*

I was happy with the thought that I'd given rise to another music snob, but the last music he expressed any interest in was the Halo 3 soundtrack.

I guess it could be worse. he could be into country.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2009, 09:54 AM   #22
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly

I think the last music he expressed any interest in was the Halo 3 soundtrack.

Yes, if you had a 12 year old that has a penchant for George Jones and Hank Sr, you've probably got a problem on your hands.
Old 06.15.2009, 09:57 AM   #23
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
no. that would make him cooler than me.

I'm not sure that George Jones and Hank Sr count as "country" any longer. they were a part of something different than what's pushed off these days.
Old 06.15.2009, 10:00 AM   #24
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
my pops started my love for music, not to mention violent movies and dirty magazines and whatever else he could sneak me while my mother wasnt around...

but, it was driving with my dad when i was young that kicked off my love for music. he didndt play me raffi, he played led zeppelin, van morrison, the stones, and hendrix. as i got older, he got me into blues and jazz, i heard "kind of blue" when i was 7, i was pretty much destined to be an obessor.

having cool parents has its downside though. my parents are one hundred percent liberal "live and let live" types, though they aren't hippys by any means. when i got caught smokin weed for the first time, i thought id get scolded but it ended up with my parets telling me about thier first pot experiences and that if i was going to do it i should do it around the house. when i started refusing to wear anything that wasn't ripped, my mom said, "self expression is important." when i would blast "angel of death" at full volume in my room at night, i would merely see my mom's head pop in to tell me to turn it down, and that she liked the guitar sounds. it was literally IMPOSSIBLE to rebel. untill i became addicted to oxycontin and alcohol, i guess that shocked them a bit.
Funny story.
So you're angry (or resentful) against your parents cause they let you rebel yourself?
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2009, 10:01 AM   #25
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
This is true. I separate them from all country music post 1980 lets say (George not counting). I was just imagining a 12 year old in a proper George/Hank listening setting, that is with a bottle of whiskey, an old photo, an old chair/barstool and tears.
Old 06.15.2009, 10:13 AM   #26
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I was just imagining a 12 year old in a proper George/Hank listening setting, that is with a bottle of whiskey, an old photo, an old chair/barstool and tears.

don't look at me then. he would have got that from his mom.
Old 06.15.2009, 10:49 PM   #27
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
You play Sepultura to your kid?

Well, the first time, it was just in iTunes and came on at random and he totally started headbanging, so yeah, now I play 'em 'cause he like 'em. Same with all the drum 'n bass stuff I play for him. I used to listen to some of it occasionally, but he likes it so much it's on pretty frequently now.

The Sepultura was great though, because my wife was all like, "don't play that scary stuff around the baby" until she saw him rocking out to it and just threw her hands in the air!
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2009, 02:56 PM   #28
trojan
empty page

trojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's asses
My father never wanted to tell me what to listen to, but he always played some hendrix, pat metheny etc.. So I knew it. I wasn't interested in music as a child (I'm 17now, i'm talking about when I was.. say less than 12years). Actually, I now regret that he didn't make me discover things, even though I was right not to force me to listen. When I'll have kids I think they'll grow up with some Zappa and Soft Machines around ^^ I really can't wait for it xD
trojan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2009, 03:48 PM   #29
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
beware.
the gmku internet police will soon be telling you off for posting a pic of yr kid without kiddo's consent.
enjoy freedom while it lasts.
Old 06.18.2009, 11:17 PM   #30
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
beware.
the gmku internet police will soon be telling you off for posting a pic of yr kid without kiddo's consent.
enjoy freedom while it lasts.

In the words of one great American, "Bring it on."
Old 06.19.2009, 09:16 PM   #31
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g
Here's what I've learned dealing with upset parents trying to return cd's their kids bought at my store: You can't pick what they like, or who they like. As painful as it may be, they have to make their own bad descisions and choose their own bad taste. That will hopefully enable them to develop their own good taste down the road.

That's a positive attitude, and I have no problem with it, but not every child goes that route of course. That's definitely the way to feel if they like music you're not into. Hell, that's the way to feel if your significant other likes music you're not into (though I can't help making jokes about a certain fat pasty British moaner and his legion of wrist slashing thirteen year-old girls...)

I suspect my son will have tastes that I find interesting more than annoying. He already likes drum n bass and roots reggae more than I do (I like both genres, but he's seriously into them). I would never force him to listen to anything, so that's why I'm so ecstatic he reacts to Sabbath and Sonic Youth with as much of a positive passion as I do.
Old 06.20.2009, 07:29 AM   #32
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
I heard it best from one of the record store guys who has a fifteen yr old:
''They're gonna listen to the shit that their un-exposed friends listen to, that just will happen, thing you gotta do as a parent is make sure you've showed them the options to that, good shit that comes with exposure.''
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2009, 11:32 AM   #33
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
I heard it best from one of the record store guys who has a fifteen yr old:
''They're gonna listen to the shit that their un-exposed friends listen to, that just will happen, thing you gotta do as a parent is make sure you've showed them the options to that, good shit that comes with exposure.''

Yeah, that's completely true, and shit is always in the mouth of the beholder...

My best friend in the '80s was a glam metal dude who I got into Sonic Youth. So he was really into Hanoi rocks and Sonic Youth. His younger brother picked up on his tastes and mixed them with his own and would listen to Sonic Youth back to back with Wham!
Old 06.20.2009, 11:47 AM   #34
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
My parents never liked music much other than things that were popular when they were younger (and I'm not talking about sweet 70s psychedelica or anything haha)... so I don't know where I got my taste from.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2009, 12:31 PM   #35
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Yeah, that's completely true, and shit is always in the mouth of the beholder...

My best friend in the '80s was a glam metal dude who I got into Sonic Youth. So he was really into Hanoi rocks and Sonic Youth. His younger brother picked up on his tastes and mixed them with his own and would listen to Sonic Youth back to back with Wham!

Good example. Wham and Sonic Youth for the win.
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2009, 04:39 PM   #36
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

he went through periods where he liked The Pixies, Modest Mouse and Olivia Tremor Control, but that was years ago.

he gave up on Modest Mouse when he heard them playing at a Sonic Drive-In. "Modest Mouse....at Sonic? pffftt *eyerolls*

I was happy with the thought that I'd given rise to another music snob, but the last music he expressed any interest in was the Halo 3 soundtrack.

Does he wear white sneakers? White sneakers are an unequivocal sign of personal doom.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2010, 11:23 AM   #37
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

These days Lennon is totally singing along to stuff, which is even more exciting for me. He sings along to the Damned ("Born to Kill" even!), X ("Adult Books"), Bikini Kill, and the Carpenters.
Old 01.10.2010, 12:40 AM   #38
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Don't lose hope yet. I didn't like most music at all until I was about 17. Looking back, I've realized it was mainly because I was exposed to more music I didn't like before I was exposed to music I did.
Old 01.11.2010, 11:05 AM   #39
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
no. that would make him cooler than me.

I'm not sure that George Jones and Hank Sr count as "country" any longer. they were a part of something different than what's pushed off these days.

outlaw country, I was in a serious Hank III phase untill I went to his show

Dead Air: Yr kid is sooo cute. I raised mine on prime music too and skateboarding. My son has had a board with him since birth. It's so cute when they start singing Melvins with me in the back seat.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.11.2010, 01:15 PM   #40
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Well my boy is 22 and we share a love of Sonic Youth, X, Pixies, Yo La Tengo, Allman Bros. Pink Floyd, Bob Marley and a few others. He's turned me on to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, My Bloody Valentine, Block Party, Peaches and Radiohead...

My 24 year old daughter is into all my classic rock and then we share Rage Against the Machine, Eminem, Biggy, DMX TuPac

I could have been Batreleaser's father except I'd have been coping the oxyies and the booze with him

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth