Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page NR Essentials #9: cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.09.2008, 09:01 PM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

cLOUDDEAD
cLOUDDEAD
2001, Mush Records

In the beginning there was Deep Puddle Dynamics; a (to quote a recent thread) I-can't-believe-they-only-released-one-album collective of like-minded dudes from different parts of the US map that included not only the trio (DoseOne, Odd Nosdam, Why?) that would become cLOUDDEAD, but also fellow Antion-er extroidinaire, Sole and the always reliable Slug of Atmosphere. Deep Puddle's LP, the Kerouac quoting THE TASTE OF RAIN... WHY KNEEL got the ball rolling on the train of thought lyricism and soul searching objective that much of the Anticon would eventually be known for. But it wasn't until the 5-piece turned into a 3-piece and recorded a slew of limited pressed singles that they would pretty much create a genre of their own and then implode the whole motherfucker.

cLOUDDEAD, the album is actually a compilation of the first 6 stray singles the group recorded. The "songs" aren't even titled, but just referenced in a "side a 1" sort of way. Very unassuming. But what's inside is almost ineffable. Yes, this is hip hop. I guess. But it's fucking way more like Eno than it is Biggie.

In a way, I feel like there's nothing I could possibly say to do this record justice. There's no way to fairly explain it. You just have to hear it and get it, because there's not much else like it. For sure, it's the only hip hop album I've ever fallen asleep to, but yet I could never consider it boring. It's a rap album crammed full of ideas/thoughts/emotions that gently wash over you hypnotically.

It's possible that the trio themselves understand the impossible feat of recreating something so special. Their followup (and techinically, sole "studio album") TEN has been called their last record by Why? (though the remaining 2/3rds of the group have not agreed.) And although TEN is definitely a far more focused affair, it does not have the same Experience that cLOUDDEAD does.

It all comes down to beats, rhymes & life.... the beats are wholey unique and incredible. The rhymes are as duely simple and amazing as "do you know how many times I've thought about writing about the paper I'm writing on?" And well, midway through the record you can't help but think that what makes it so great is that a group of young men are honestly (for better or worse) putting their Lives (fears, hopes, et al) on tape.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 06:20 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, "Ten" is really good, but nothing beats this.

This album's essential, there was a year there in high school where I listened to it about every day. The extreme ambience and the obscure, bizarre lyrics are amazing.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 08:32 AM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah it's weird, because TEN is like technically a superior album y'know? But I'll pick this one over TEN every time!
Old 12.10.2008, 08:40 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Me too.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 08:44 AM   #5
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Shit, I'll need to dig this one out. I remember being really impressed with a lot of it, although ultimately I thought it was a tad long and meandering which prevented me from getting into it as much as I felt I should. If that makes sense.
Old 12.10.2008, 08:57 AM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

It is meandering. You need to lay there with this loud and do nothing but hear it.
Old 12.10.2008, 02:13 PM   #7
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Space is potent

Not much can compare to the production and the mc line-up (as yall said)
Why?, Anticon and Illogic make some interesting tunes also
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 02:50 PM   #8
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
i need to check it out again. Didn't like it the first time.
Old 12.10.2008, 02:57 PM   #9
sarramkrop

I like one track (APT 2?). I never managed listening to the rest 'cause I thought it was soporific shit by track 3 or thereabout.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 03:01 PM   #10
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
Shit, I'll need to dig this one out. I remember being really impressed with a lot of it, although ultimately I thought it was a tad long and meandering which prevented me from getting into it as much as I felt I should. If that makes sense.

That's a polite way of putting it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Weird one - I like everything about this album, until I start listening to it, at which point it's intolerable turd to my ears. It's not a bad record, by any means, I just don't like to actually listen to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2008, 06:50 PM   #12
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
jesus christ, dude
Old 12.10.2008, 07:02 PM   #13
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I like one track (APT 2?). I never managed listening to the rest 'cause I thought it was soporific shit by track 3 or thereabout.
I find that if you play it on shuffle, it's possible to get past track 3.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 07:47 PM   #14
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
thanks for the post! i checked it out and i really fucking like it!
Apt. A and Jimmybreeze are brilliant

still, i'm not sure whether to buy the vinyl or just the cd...
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 07:54 PM   #15
al shabbray

buy the vinylS
the record is a collection of 6 10" records. so that would be the reason why its so long and why there is always a bunch of tracks under one track (side A/B of each 10"), because it wasnt ment to be "just" an album.
the covers are great. and if you even consider buying vinyl, then buy that stuff, its worth it, I think.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 08:02 PM   #16
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
i know the songs were originally released as 6 10" singles, but the vinylrecord released as cLOUDDEAD are 3 12"s, right?
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 08:07 PM   #17
al shabbray

100% correct
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 08:12 PM   #18
noisereductions
invito al cielo

There's also a live session vinyl that I need to find. The track "Physics Of A Bicycle" on it is incredible. Anyway, I'm glad yr feeling it EvdWee... and strangely enough I was listening to it on my commute home during twilight this evening!
Old 12.29.2008, 08:14 PM   #19
al shabbray

I am missing the "sounds of a handshake" 10". and Ten I only got on CD.
how is that live vinyl called?
and anybody got the cLOUDDEAD instrumentals?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 08:22 PM   #20
noisereductions
invito al cielo

al,

It's called THE PEEL SESSION... 4 tracks including the amazing above-mentioned "Physics..." and part 1 of "Dead Dogs" whose sequel is a standout on TEN (as you know).

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth