Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Venues where you have seen concerts
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.08.2018, 08:23 PM   #21
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
London Astoria
100 Club
Brixton Adademy
Camden Roundhouse
Kentish Town Forum
Camden Underworld
Glasgow King Tuts
Newcastle Cluny
Reading Union
Newcastle Union
Kingston Peel
Feltham Assembly Hall

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2018, 10:46 PM   #22
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
It was nothing special. A bar, a small floor, a small stage. 100 person capacity? But it was punk as fuck.

Once I went into bathroom. Dude was puking. When he was done, I asked if he was alright. He gave me a thumbs up, then walked to stage. It was the singer of the next band.

For some insane reason, Beck played there for free right after Odelay. It was a madhouse. Surprised no one died.

Yeah, it was a dive, but there were bands I wanted to see booked there--just never got to see any of them.

Your last paragraph reminded me of an amusing anecdote. Years ago I went to Columbus for the weekend. One of my relatives and her boyfriend mistakenly thought I was going to Bernie's to see Them Wranch, so they went there thinking we'd meet up. It was so hot, crowded and chatoic they were afraid they would die, especially if a fire broke out. So as soon as they figured out I wasn't coming, they bolted. If it was that way for Them Wranch, I can't imagine what it was like for Beck.
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2018, 01:18 AM   #23
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
impossible for me to name them all. so many + my memory is fucked. when i think of it now, my fav. club/venue of all time would be prehaps Whelans in Dublin, not because of its acoustics, but because of so many acts I have seen there and so much of a good time there.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2018, 01:03 PM   #24
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
they have touring shows upstairs and local shows downstairs. The place was sold and refitted a few years back, better PA. This was the first place REM performed at when they came to HOuston in 1983 I think...

Ya, exactly. I remember being intrigued that it was a multi-floor duo venue place, in what did not seem to be that big of a building (based on images I was checking out). Thinking on it more now, I am really regretting not hitting it up while I was down there. Always nice to see shows in places with a nice history to them too...
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.05.2018, 09:43 PM   #25
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Two more added to my initial post:

Ludlow Garage, Cincinnati, Ohio
Black Plastic Records, Cincinnati, Ohio

As of 4/1/2018, Live At The Ludlow Garage has new ownership which dropped "Live At" from the name. Although it's in the same location, the ticket vendor has changed, and there likely will be other changes as well. Therefore, I'm listing it as a new venue because it essentially is.

As for Black Plastic Records, this past Tuesday they hosted a free in store (ended up on the sidewalk outside the store due to nice weather) gig by K Records head honcho Calvin Johnson, doing his Selector Dub Narcotic hip hop thing. I'm not a fan of the genre but Calvin was funny and entertaining. He seemed to be making fan of rap's violence and macho posturing. My favorite part was a monologue where he called professional football "the biggest bunch of bullshit" for how they treated Colin Kaepernick. Entertaining gig but I'd like to see Calvin do some non-rap music next time.
Old 04.11.2020, 08:19 PM   #26
Drjohnrock
children of satan

One more addition to my list in my initial post.

Memorial Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio

Saw a show there late last year. It's a great old theater that had some restoration work done a couple of years ago.

I won't be adding any new venues to this list in the foreseeable future due to COVID-19. If anyone has some extra time due to saying home more during this pandemic, feel free to add your list to this thread, or add to your list if you already posted one.
Old 04.12.2020, 09:00 AM   #27
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
In Austria:

Vienna:

Arena
Viper Room
AU (+)
WUK
G7 (Art Space)
Super Unusual Beings (SUB +)
Gasometer
Stadthalle
Stadtsaal
Schauspielhaus
Down Under Aussie Pub
Café Carina
Fluc
Flex
Rhiz
Chelsea
Venster 99
Einbaumöbel (1BM)
Café Korb
Marx Halle
Donauinsel Open Air
Porgy & Bess
Zwe
Szene
Shebeen
Café Concerto
Marea Alta
Ernst Kirchweger Haus (EKH)
The Flag
Celeste
Galerie Blumentopf (Art Space)
Kunsttankstelle Ottakring (Art Space)
Grill X
Escape
Cabaret Fledermaus
Pappel
Weberknecht
Mo.ë
Das Bach
B72
Rave Up Records (Record Store)
Nachtasyl
Aera

Linz:

Stadtwerkstadt
Posthof
Cembrankeller (+)
Hauptplatz (Open Air)
Donaulände (Ahoi-Festival)

Other places:

Kunsthalle Krems (Krems, Donaufestival)
Röda (Steyr)
Multiversum (Schwechat)
Burg Clam (Klam)

In Germany:

K17 (Berlin +)
Backstage (Munich)

In the United States:

Webster Hall (New York, NY)
Mercury Lounge (New York, NY)

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2020, 11:51 AM   #28
g.
bad moon rising

g. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's assesg. kicks all y'all's asses
My favourite ever has to be The Astoria in London. Special venue.
g. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2020, 11:25 AM   #29
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Additions to my 2016 list :

Netherlands:
Melkweg, Amsterdam
Effenaar, Eindhoven
Arminius, Rotterdam
Rotown, Rotterdam
Schouwburg, Rotterdam

Belgium:
Wilde Westen, Kortrijk

France:
File 7, Magny-le-Hongre (a few minutes from EuroDisney)
Le Petit Bain, Paris (I hated the people there)
Le Chabada, Angers (some of the nicest people in this city, don't get mislead by the spelling)
Le Quai, Angers
Le Fuzz'Yon, La Roche-sur-Yon
Le 106, Rouen
Le Temps Machine, Joué-les-Tours
La Citrouille, Saint-Brieuc (has changed its name recently)
La Nouvelle Vague, Saint-Malo
Le Gentieg, Janzé
L'Antipode, Rennes
La Criée, Rennes
L'Etage, Rennes
Institut Franco-Américain, Rennes
Le Jardin Moderne, Rennes
Le Liberté, Rennes
Le MeM, Rennes
L'Ubu, Rennes
Vieux Saint-Etienne, Rennes (a small abandonned church turned into a venue)

Le Mondo Bizarro, Rennes
Quite an institution there, a pub turned into a concert place, earning more from shows (a couple every week; Lydia Lunch played there, as did Minami Deutsch), than from customers as it's located far from the nice bits of town
The COVID forced the owner to sell the place. A couple of weeks ago. The place will disappear and by replaced by a block of flats.
That was so lively, it had more soul than the other venues I've gone to in the city.

Le Ferrailleur, Nantes
On the verge of collapsing for the same reason, a nice place too, lots of shows every month

Le Lieu Unique, Nantes
La Sirène, La Rochelle
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.11.2023, 11:46 PM   #30
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Amended my initial post to add the following venues:

Gallagher Student Center Theater, Xavier University, Cincinnati, Ohio
Beachland Tavern, Cleveland, Ohio
The Orbit Room, Bloomington, Indiana
Madison Live, Covington, Kentucky

The Beachland Tavern and Madison Live are sister venues adjacent to the main venues, Beachland Ballroom and Madison Theater, respectively.

The Orbit Room is an interesting venue. Located in the college town of Bloomington, it is in the basement of the building that houses it and looks like what it probably was decades ago: a beatnik coffeehouse/hangout. In fact, before its present incarnation as a nightclub, it was a "modern" coffeehouse. I saw the great Johnny Dowd there.
Old 02.26.2023, 06:49 AM   #31
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
I really need to update my "concerts I've been to" list on that thread, but I've been to several venues around Melbourne - the Northcote Theatre (twice), Max Watt's f.k.a. the Hi-Fi Bar, the Corner Hotel, John Cain Arena f.k.a. Melbourne Arena f.k.a. Hisense Arena, Storey Hall @ RMIT, the Bendigo Hotel, the Retreat Hotel, and a house venue in Footscray.

Soon to add Rod Laver Arena, Elisabeth Murdoch Hall @ the arts centre, and the Sidney Myer Music Bowl to that list.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2023, 01:33 PM   #32
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Two more added to my initial list:

Natalie's Grandview, Columbus, Ohio
Hop Farm Brewing Company, Pitttsburgh, Pennsylvania

Not impressed by Natalie's Grandview. I hate places where you have to scan a QR code to see menus for food and drink. There are other "modern" touches that are equally annoying. I won't return unless they;re having a band I really want to see.

Hop Farm is a brewpub with a small taproom and a larger, warehouse-type room off to side for bands where the vibe is much better. I saw Johnny Dowd there. Nice place to see a band, despite an odd layout. But if you're looking for a place to just enjoy some craft beer, there are better options in Pittsburgh.
Old 07.01.2023, 08:00 PM   #33
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
I've been to 170 Russell, and the Eastern Hotel in my hometown of Ballarat, since my last post - plus I can't believe I didn't mention the Forum, which I've been to twice and have both of my next scheduled shows there.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2024, 01:22 AM   #34
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Two updates to my initial post:

Hop Farm Brewing Company, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Saw Johnny Dowd there. Great show

Corrected entry:

Jelly Roll's, New Orleans, Louisiana--I only knew it as a place Al Hirt used to own. But I came up with the name through an internet search.

i
Old 02.08.2024, 09:37 AM   #35
Beer In Belly
little trouble girl

Beer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard suckaBeer In Belly cold hard sucka
Do the venues matter? They all look and sound the same when the beer is in belly
Beer In Belly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth