Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Jesus and Mary Chain 2012 Tour
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2012, 02:42 PM   #21
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
I didn't see them in 1986, but I saw them in 1987 and it was dull as ditchwater. Saw them play a greatest hits set in 2007, and it was 100x better.

They got better at writing songs pretty much after the first album. I don't think they ever went completely shit.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2012, 03:33 PM   #22
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them in 1986 and to be honest already by then their reputation was such that I don't think I could fairly judge their performance because of it. But I'm glad I got to see them while they were young and arsey.

And it was a rare gig where they played a full set. And they were upstaged somewhat by the support band.

I saw them again in 1998 when they weren't "in a good place" artistically and they were pretty dull.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2012, 01:54 AM   #23
Starcat
bad moon rising

Starcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I didn't see them in 1986, but I saw them in 1987 and it was dull as ditchwater. Saw them play a greatest hits set in 2007, and it was 100x better.

A Mary Chain greatest hits set is Psychocandy, verbatim.

Their songs may have been better written on later albums, but it was at the loss of their noisy, dissonant sound that made them something more than a run-of-the-mill alt-rock band.

Starcat is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.16.2012, 05:59 AM   #24
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcat
That wouldn't be a greatest hits. A best of perhaps.

And the term "alt-rock" wouldn't have existed then and if it did JAMC were more comparable to other British indie bands of the time (Primal Scream, The Jazz Butcher, Biff Bang Pow! etc).
Old 07.16.2012, 02:15 PM   #25
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
They got better at writing songs pretty much after the first album. I don't think they ever went completely shit.

I don't know if I'd agree that they wrote better songs after that but it's arguable and certainly a handful are on a par. I just think they're one of those bands that had one big statement in them which (album-wise) they made perfectly on Psychocandy, with everything after that feeling (to me at least) a bit too much like them trying to forge a career. Saying all that, I do have a soft spot for Darklands.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2012, 12:39 AM   #26
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Their songs may have been better written on later albums, but it was at the loss of their noisy, dissonant sound that made them something more than a run-of-the-mill alt-rock band.
Don't believe the hype, kiddo. The only thing that stopped JAMC from being a run of the mill indie band from the very off was the fact that they had a reputation for somewhat fiery live shows, and that's the reason that the music press picked up on them, nothing to do with the music. And Psychocandy contains just as much tosh as any other indie album of the time (and just as much as any of their subsequent albums), but it has been hidden beneath the noise (which wasn't something as unique to them at the time as mythology would like you to believe, you couldn't move for noise and distortion in UK indie music at the time).
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2012, 02:16 AM   #27
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
...you couldn't move for noise and distortion in UK indie music at the time.
Balderdash.
Old 07.17.2012, 03:13 AM   #28
Starcat
bad moon rising

Starcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's assesStarcat kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
That wouldn't be a greatest hits. A best of perhaps.

And the term "alt-rock" wouldn't have existed then and if it did JAMC were more comparable to other British indie bands of the time (Primal Scream, The Jazz Butcher, Biff Bang Pow! etc).

I say "alt-rock" as an insult to late- Mary Chain albums. I'm saying that if you listened to them now, they'd sound like something cranked out by any of the 50 billion generic rockbands polluting the world.

Quote:
Don't believe the hype, kiddo. The only thing that stopped JAMC from being a run of the mill indie band from the very off was the fact that they had a reputation for somewhat fiery live shows, and that's the reason that the music press picked up on them, nothing to do with the music. And Psychocandy contains just as much tosh as any other indie album of the time (and just as much as any of their subsequent albums), but it has been hidden beneath the noise (which wasn't something as unique to them at the time as mythology would like you to believe, you couldn't move for noise and distortion in UK indie music at the time).

I'm not speaking from the hype, I'm speaking from having listened to all of their albums thoroughly. The noise might have been the only thing going for them on Psychocandy, but if noise was the only thing needed to save their other albums from being boring as hell then it's their own fault for abandoning it.

Old 07.17.2012, 11:55 AM   #29
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I've seen them in recent years too, but I guess I just assumed it would be the other way around, and that I was seeing them long after their live peak. But I was in first grade in 1986, so I'll take your word for it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2012, 02:20 PM   #30
super_charger
bad moon rising

super_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's assessuper_charger kicks all y'all's asses
I was thinking about seeing them until I saw tickets cost $70. No thanks. I saw them and a bunch of other bands at lollapawatever in the 90s for $30 total. I doubt they're twice as good today as they were back then.
super_charger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2012, 03:57 PM   #31
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know what to say. Perhaps in 15 years time people will laugh at anyone picking up an instrument to stir up some excitement altogether.
Old 07.17.2012, 04:39 PM   #32
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The noise might have been the only thing going for them on Psychocandy, but if noise was the only thing needed to save their other albums from being boring as hell then it's their own fault for abandoning it.

I think what elevated Psychocandy above its peers wasn't the noise (as Pookie and Blunderbuss have pointed out) but the songwriting. I don't think that album would've endured much beyond the hype were it not for the fact that beneath the feedback there's some absolutely classic pop songs. I heard lots of distortion pedals in the mid 80s but not many songs as brilliant as You Trip Me Up, The Hardest Walk or Just Like Honey.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2012, 01:26 AM   #33
Starcat
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I think what elevated Psychocandy above its peers wasn't the noise (as Pookie and Blunderbuss have pointed out) but the songwriting. I don't think that album would've endured much beyond the hype were it not for the fact that beneath the feedback there's some absolutely classic pop songs. I heard lots of distortion pedals in the mid 80s but not many songs as brilliant as You Trip Me Up, The Hardest Walk or Just Like Honey.

I agree... But I can't quantify whether or not Psychocandy was any better than some grimy British noise band that played a couple of grimy gigs in the grimy bars of Leeds or Manchester and put out a few grimy EPs and then all died grimy deaths. Because I wasn't there and haven't heard it all yet. But I'm prepared to contest Pookie and Blunderbuss if what they're saying is that Psychocandy was just noise but that their later albums were somehow better

Old 07.18.2012, 02:23 AM   #34
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
i'm going

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2012, 07:35 AM   #35
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
I agree... But I can't quantify whether or not Psychocandy was any better than some grimy British noise band that played a couple of grimy gigs in the grimy bars of Leeds or Manchester and put out a few grimy EPs and then all died grimy deaths. Because I wasn't there and haven't heard it all yet. But I'm prepared to contest Pookie and Blunderbuss if what they're saying is that Psychocandy was just noise but that their later albums were somehow better
I'm certainly not saying that. The opposite in fact. I'm saying that there was a lot of noise around but JAMC were more than just noise. The first three singles (Upside Down, Never Understand & You Trip Me Up) were up there with the best tunes of the time (along with this and this).

Psychocandy had more great songs but was never a great album. And after that they continued to produce albums with great songs and a lot of filler. To me Automatic was probably their best album overall.
Old 07.18.2012, 09:12 AM   #36
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Let's all take a minute to reflect and watch this brilliant video on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yLOk...ature=youtu.be

We'll be back at 6:15 pm for canapes and drinks, followed by an insightful lecture on Patti Smith's hair by Sway.

See you later.
Old 07.18.2012, 10:34 AM   #37
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
I wanted to laugh. But I didn't.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2012, 01:26 PM   #38
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Thoroughly pissed off about that.
Old 07.18.2012, 01:46 PM   #39
Starcat
bad moon rising

Why Automatic over Psychocandy, though? What did it do better?

Old 07.18.2012, 02:19 PM   #40
Pookie
invito al cielo

The best songs on Psychocandy are better than any on Automatic but Automatic is a better album overall.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth