Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Lost Sequel to Loveless....Lilys- In The Presence of Nothing
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.06.2010, 04:01 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Frustrated that Kevin Shields wont get off his lazy slacker ass and write a new record to MBV? Well he's too late anyway because a US band beat him to the punch back in 1991.

"I felt I could pull "Isn't Anything" (MBV record prior to "Loveless") out of my ass!"- Kurt Heasley

Meet Kurt Heasley of Washington D.C. who formed his band the Lilys in 1991 and wrote the record that half of England was waiting for but probably never heard. Their record In the Presence of Nothing is a lost classic with the same dreamy hazy narcotic vibe that's made loveless stand the test of time. Dominated by heavy, bent guitars and vague harmony vocals they've seemed to found the same key mbv had to get into that other world. Impressively the band was able to record the album at a fraction of the cost of the other classic for only $1000.

Lilys- Tone Bender
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBWCFJwmPk

Get the whole record here
http://wilfullyobscure.blogspot.com/...hing-1992.html

This is essential listening for any fan of my bloody valentine or shoegaze in general and is far superior too any new bands like fleeting joys
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 12:50 AM   #2
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Thank you for wasting 3 minutes and 16 seconds of my life. No one wants to hear a band pick up where another band left off; it makes them seem derivitive and unoriginal.

At least I don't...
Old 12.07.2010, 03:56 AM   #3
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
This is a pretty neat little shoegaze album so far. Maybe a little too Loveless-esque for it's own good at times, but still a quality collection of tracks nonetheless. Thank you for sharing this, Mr. Cola.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 04:40 AM   #4
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Just finished it. Loved it. Thanks again.
Old 12.07.2010, 05:14 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
It's pretty cool... I'd rather listen to it than most of MBV's stuff, definitely.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 05:23 AM   #6
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
...and wrote the record that half of England was waiting for

Half of England?
Is that supposed to sound impressive?
BTW, thanks for the links, dunno if I'll have the time to listen anytime soon, but I will, sometime.

Oh well, listened to the youtube, sounds quite good if you're a fan of the genre, but not that ace after all ( i mean, it's not original at all in the end), will give a spin to the whole album to check if there's something more surprising...

semi OT, from the youtube comments:

"less than 500 views.that means shoegaze is still underground after almost 20 years.wow.what can u say?"

talk about distorted perspectives, eh eh ehe hehehe!
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 09:16 AM   #7
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Why "half of England"? Was MBV's native Ireland not waiting for it? Was Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland not in anticipation of this obviously life-changing record?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 12:46 PM   #8
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
I've heard some Lilys stuff before, but I never heard anything MBVish about it. *gives another listen*
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
"I felt I could pull "Isn't Anything" (MBV record prior to "Loveless") out of my ass!"- Kurt Heasley

This quote is so unbelievably badass. Truly the icing on the cake. Great album by the way, I've listened to it 5 times already since first downloading it last night. It doesn't have to ride the coattails of Loveless, it's unique enough to stand on its own feet, for sure. I'm going to have to seek out more.
Old 12.08.2010, 03:00 PM   #10
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
while this album is a gem none of the lillys other record are in this style, but they still have a few other records worth owning like a brief history of amazing letdowns.

In the meantime here's a single and b-side from around the In the Presence era.

Lilys- February Fourteenth
https://www.yousendit.com/download/c...QTY1bmhjR0E9PQ

Lilys- Eskimo
https://www.yousendit.com/download/c...Nnk0b0JFQlE9PQ
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

Old 12.09.2010, 05:25 AM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
bullshit...sorry to be so blunt but bullshit!

number one "half of england"?? mbv were formed in dublin ireland by 2 irish people. mbv are an irish band and colm and kevin still an integral part of the band and still claim irish roots.... this would be similar to me calling the arcade fire american! ignorance is no excuse!

secondy..this lilys album is good, its probably the better lilys releases but why post this now? its about 16 years old isnt it? its a good album, its not a great album but its a good album but there have been far more superior albums on theis genre releases since this one. maybe im wrong, i havent heard this album in about 5 or 6 years so now i have it in my hand i will revisit it today.

thirdly the my bloody valentine comparison is complete twaddle. ok they are shoe gaze, ok they have layered guitar effects, ok they sing about trres and birds and flying high in the sky why oh why but thats it. lilys sound nothing like mbv. nothing! and to claim they do is very lazy. this album is good enough to stand out alone in its own right not on the back of a classic album. so stop looking backwards in the vein hope to relive your youth and start finding new ground!

just a point...swirlies sound more like mbv than lilys ever could even with them taking copius amounts of mbv gene altering drugs! ive also heard a great new album by wire, yknow punk band from england, its the follow up to never mind the bollocks so piss off johnny rotten..................

btw dazed cola...points not directed at you personally, just at the writing in the post!!! :-)
Old 12.09.2010, 01:14 PM   #12
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
^^^^^^^^
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PAULYBEE2656 again.
Old 12.09.2010, 01:37 PM   #13
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

Seriously you guys are all taking that "half of england" comment way too literally it was merely something written off the cuff to hype the paragraph, never said it was a fact, never said they were from england. I was implying that there was just a big fanbase for that sound in the uk based on it's popularity there. Im very aware the band started in Ireland and that for the record kevin shields was born in America.

I'm also 25 and just heard the record this week so i posted it because I wanted more people to know about it. It's a fantastic record and deserved some exposure so others can enjoy it. It's nothing to do with reliving my own life as I was 5 when this came out.

The whole mbv comparison is subjective too. i def hear a close resemblance but to each their own.

All this overanalysis just kills and distracts from the excitement of the music.
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

Old 12.10.2010, 12:11 PM   #14
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
sonic youth gossip memebers in overanalysis shocker!!
again mate, my comments were on the subject matter not yourself personally!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth