Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.23.2022, 10:16 PM   #53861
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
BCNR: Ants From Up There
Old 04.24.2022, 06:35 AM   #53862
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
I've kept coming back to this one since I first heard it somewhere last month.
Listened to the album, and several live versions (from Dime and Youtube), over and over and over. That riff is so addictive.
In the end I ended up buying the vinyl as well as the silent version, which is the book.
Bummer of it is that neither of them comes with a digital download :-(
so I'm considering in getting that still as well ...

But most of all what I'm listening to is live concerts of Silver Mt. Zion. I'm completely addicted to it, especially the years 2005/2006/2007-ish
Sometimes though, I will go all over the top and listen to a recording of them from 2001 even!

Microphones in 2020 is stunning for a 40-minute self-referential dirge. Just a really powerful listen.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2022, 11:33 AM   #53863
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Gizz - Omnium Gatherum - a brand new 80min album that starts with an 18min song.

I assume that I'm still the only Gizzhead in this place?

I fucking adored Butterfly 3000. This new one is all over the place, in a good way...I think.
Old 04.26.2022, 10:05 AM   #53864
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Pavements' Terror Twilight Deluxe was finally released with the originally intended track order reinstated and remastered. It's surprising what a different mix has accomplished with these songs: muddiness is removed, in turn brining Malkmus' guitar to the forefront of the mix revealing chord progression and melody that was previously lost, buried in the mix. The general tone is now similar to Brighten the Corners and Wowee Zowee. Along with changing the track list the album is now at the least, listenable. I tested it in the garden, April sun, drunk, at ridiculous sound levels and it was canny.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2022, 04:38 AM   #53865
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

Live in Ghent by BRUTUS

Belgian metal threesome fronted by a female drummer
not all songs are great, but some are

what I like about them is that they don't look like the music they are playing

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2022, 06:11 AM   #53866
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Pavements' Terror Twilight Deluxe was finally released with the originally intended track order reinstated and remastered. It's surprising what a different mix has accomplished with these songs: muddiness is removed, in turn brining Malkmus' guitar to the forefront of the mix revealing chord progression and melody that was previously lost, buried in the mix. The general tone is now similar to Brighten the Corners and Wowee Zowee. Along with changing the track list the album is now at the least, listenable. I tested it in the garden, April sun, drunk, at ridiculous sound levels and it was canny.

Fuck yeah. I can’t believe it’s taken so long for this deluxe reissue to come through. The reissue efforts started when S&E was literally 11 years old. Not it’s 30 years old. The BTC reissue came out in like ‘08. Fuck’s sake!

Anyway, I’ve always like Terror Twilight. It’s certainly the least-good Pavement album, but I still dig it. I’m attached to the original tracklist, so that part is a bit weird for me, but I 100% agree that the new mix is a huge improvement.
Old 04.27.2022, 08:52 AM   #53867
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
I think starting with the ramshackle Platform Blues is Pavement formula 101, reminds me of opener Stereo from BTC. Also the Hexx next instead of trashy Folk Song sets a far more dour opening tone to the record. Furthermore, finishing with Spit on a Stranger is perfect, I can't begin to imagine how the band thought this was a good choice for opening song.

Wikipedia explains it better than I:
'Deciding the track list created conflict. Godrich wanted to begin the record with "Platform Blues" and end with "Spit on a Stranger"; he felt it should open with a "longer, more challenging song to set the tempo", similar to the 1997 Radiohead album OK Computer. However, the band wanted to open with an "easier" song. Malkmus recalled, "Nigel was like, 'I'm done with this. This is the wrong move. We made a stoner album and you're going halfway.' He’s right probably."'

I was thinking about where this ranks in Pavements discography earlier on and I got to thinking how I don't really know the songs very well on Brighten the Corners compared to TT and realised I've listened to it way more times than BTC. More memorable hooks and stoned melancholia peppered throughout, even on tracks like Billie found in the outro. So I guess 2nd last?! But then Wowee Zowee is an inconsistent mess and Crooked Rain trails off.

In conclusion: when compared with Slanted... they are all shiiiiite and interchangeable at any given stoned moment.
Old 04.27.2022, 10:22 AM   #53868
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

Fågelle, full concert

this showed up in my recommendations list while I was playing random stuff on YT. It's really cool. She sings in Swedish so no idea what it's all about. But the music is sweet, a bit like Sigur Ros but edgier, or Jessica Moss or Loren Mazzacane Connors.
She's apparently currently touring in support of Big Brave!

addition:
this is an even better video of her:Transmisja #9 Fågelle

Old 04.27.2022, 05:46 PM   #53869
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I think starting with the ramshackle Platform Blues is Pavement formula 101, reminds me of opener Stereo from BTC. Also the Hexx next instead of trashy Folk Song sets a far more dour opening tone to the record. Furthermore, finishing with Spit on a Stranger is perfect, I can't begin to imagine how the band thought this was a good choice for opening song.

Wikipedia explains it better than I:
'Deciding the track list created conflict. Godrich wanted to begin the record with "Platform Blues" and end with "Spit on a Stranger"; he felt it should open with a "longer, more challenging song to set the tempo", similar to the 1997 Radiohead album OK Computer. However, the band wanted to open with an "easier" song. Malkmus recalled, "Nigel was like, 'I'm done with this. This is the wrong move. We made a stoner album and you're going halfway.' He’s right probably."'

I was thinking about where this ranks in Pavements discography earlier on and I got to thinking how I don't really know the songs very well on Brighten the Corners compared to TT and realised I've listened to it way more times than BTC. More memorable hooks and stoned melancholia peppered throughout, even on tracks like Billie found in the outro. So I guess 2nd last?! But then Wowee Zowee is an inconsistent mess and Crooked Rain trails off.

In conclusion: when compared with Slanted... they are all shiiiiite and interchangeable at any given stoned moment.

I think Crooked Rain and Slanted are about tied. Sometimes Wowee sneaks out as my favorite
Old 04.28.2022, 04:59 AM   #53870
Diesel
the destroyed room

I find half of Wowee to be offensively and annoyingly bad, to be honest. For example, without going into many details, the Grounded version on CRCR deluxe is better than the track on Wowee.

The true-est of the true fans know that this is the correct order:
Slanted deluxe
Westing
...and, the rest (Interchangeable depending on blood level intoxication ratio - although some would argue one must be absolutely smashed in order to even consider listening to anything after Slanted, a statement of which I could tend to concur with).
Old 04.28.2022, 09:30 AM   #53871
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I find half of Wowee to be offensively and annoyingly bad, to be honest. For example, without going into many details, the Grounded version on CRCR deluxe is better than the track on Wowee.

The true-est of the true fans know that this is the correct order:
Slanted deluxe
Westing
...and, the rest (Interchangeable depending on blood level intoxication ratio - although some would argue one must be absolutely smashed in order to even consider listening to anything after Slanted, a statement of which I could tend to concur with).

I dunno man, I think Watery, Domestic is in the running for top 3 Pavement releases. Not an album, but it slays.

And I love the Wowee version of Grounded. I love all of Wowee. Kennel District? You kidding me? Come on.
Old 04.29.2022, 04:25 AM   #53872
Diesel
the destroyed room

Watery Domestic is included on Slanted deluxe. Like I said only the chosen 'truest of the trueth true to thee fan knowledge fans' would know this

Kennel district can go to the dogs! pun intended, why not. Even Malkmus was sick of Kannberg writing Cut Your Hair over and over again: 'You're still singing that song?!' referring to the Sympathy for the Devil-esque woo woos in every Kannberg track. Twat! It's actually OK, at least when compared to the rest of the album.

In other news: doesn't the Fonataines DC vocalist sound like a whiny prepubescent Liam Gallagher? I think it might be enough to trigger foken tinnitus.
Old 04.29.2022, 06:44 AM   #53873
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Watery Domestic is included on Slanted deluxe. Like I said only the chosen 'truest of the trueth true to thee fan knowledge fans' would know this

Kennel district can go to the dogs! pun intended, why not. Even Malkmus was sick of Kannberg writing Cut Your Hair over and over again: 'You're still singing that song?!' referring to the Sympathy for the Devil-esque woo woos in every Kannberg track. Twat! It's actually OK, at least when compared to the rest of the album.

In other news: doesn't the Fonataines DC vocalist sound like a whiny prepubescent Liam Gallagher? I think it might be enough to trigger foken tinnitus.

Yeah I know it’s in the S&E: Luxe and Reduxe, which I bought the day it was released *20 years* ago, but the EP is literally not part of Slanted so I say they’re separate. If we ARE counting Watery with S&E then yes, S&E is the best album, no doubt. But I don’t go by reissue rules

I get what you’re saying about Spiral Stairs and his woo-woo’s but fuck it, I have always absolutely fucking adored Kennel District. That shit rumbles, and ranks among my top-whatever Pavement songs. Top quadrant, top quarter, idk.

Anyway Texas Never Whispers is the best Pavement song, peace
Old 05.01.2022, 01:30 AM   #53874
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVaeAu_noFM

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2022, 12:02 PM   #53875
_tunic_
invito al cielo

because I'm cooking meatballs !

Old 05.02.2022, 12:47 AM   #53876
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Bruce Russell's Lockdown Radio Doctor Hour!

Quote:
This is a DJ set by yours truly. For those not residing in Lyttelton, where I am an occasional fixture playing mainly appallingly scratchy old 7" 45s - enjoy my DJ stylings here. think of it as a radio show for your next lonely night in. depending how many lawsuits ensue, I may do another of these at some point.

This is the shit! And if you think it's all Dead C-style vaineruditestupidity, you're in for a wonderful surprise...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 05.06.2022, 11:18 AM   #53877
_tunic_
invito al cielo

Esmerine surprise released their new album on bandcamp today, it's OK. But nothing can beat Dalmak!

Currently listening to 3rd Secret's album, the new Super Grunge Group, featuring ex members of Soundgarden and Nrivana and Prearl Jam.

I don't like it, musically it is OK-ish on some songs, but nothing like Soundgarden or any of the other bands, some other songs are just awful. And it has two female singers whose voices I'm not liking at all. They sing nasally and bored.

Old 05.11.2022, 09:14 PM   #53878
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2022, 04:59 AM   #53879
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:

NO HE DOESN'T AND FONTAINES D.C. ARE AWESOME WASSA MATTER WITH YOU. Ahem.

Old 05.14.2022, 12:16 PM   #53880
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

album of the year contender right here
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
2194259426442684269126922693 2694 2695269626972704 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth