Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Unpopular Musical Opinions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.08.2009, 03:41 AM   #1421
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
I'd say Boris deserves to be bigger than either one >_>

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2009, 03:47 AM   #1422
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
HMM to be quite honest, I cannot, seeing as I have not heard much Melvins, thus far.. I just thought it was a cute and cheeky comparison seeing as Boris got their name from a Melvins song, and all, y'know.. Melvins I have heard was pretty nice, though. Should probably look into an album or two. I still stand by Flood being better than most music, though. Just cause the second track is awesome.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2009, 04:56 AM   #1423
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland
I dont doubt it.

I stopped at Tusk (which I love)

Is Tango... worth checking out?

It's not their best album by any stretch of the imagination. There are songs on it that are not so brilliant, but overall it stands as a good 80's pop record with catchy tunes, choruses etc.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2009, 08:41 AM   #1424
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
haha..ok yr tryna be cute. i can appreciate that.

listen to houdini + stag. those 2 are my favs. ALL of it is good, though.
Funny you should bring up Melvins. I have been on an extereme Melvins kick for the past few months. I have always loved and respected thier music, but you have to let it kind of grow on you. When my husband used to play the Houdini disc ALL the time back in the day, I just didn't understand it. Then one day.... I found myself singing "Going Blind" and I had to listen to it over and over until I had memorized every lyric. That was it for me. I am now a die hard Melvins fan. I 'm into the "Nude With Boots" album right now. Gonna play it 'till every one around me gets sick of hearing it.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2009, 08:52 AM   #1425
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Aside from bits of III and Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin bores the shit out of me these days. I still respect them, but I have no desire to listen to them ever again.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2009, 09:04 AM   #1426
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
- musically, les savy fav is one of the best bands around (mindblowing guitarist); too bad they'll never be taken seriously because of their singer.

- system of a down's first album is easily one of the best albums ever made... it's just brilliant. Truly unique songwriting. Occasionally goes into simplistic, boring tuned-to-mud-sharp one-finger riffs but it's sandwhiched between so many truly amazing riffs that it's okay. THe song "Soil" has to be in my top 20 favorite songs of all time. WHYTHEFUCKDIDYOUTAKEHIMAWAYFROMUSYOUMOTHERFUCKERS?

- Videodrone's "Jesus (Lord of the Apes)" is one of the creepiest songs ever

- (hEd)pe have a lot of good songs...

- The 5 or 6 people that compromise the Fire on Fire/Cerberus Shoal/Big Blood family are better than all the other "freak folk" bands combined.

- Gastr Del Sol is still way too underrated... mostly just remembered as a weird little indie footnote, "oh, jim o rourke and that guy from bastro's band.. whatever." kinda bullshit.

- Thinking Fellers Union Local # 282 are better than Sonic Youth

- Truman's Water are too good; they're so brilliant that it's difficult to listen to one album because there's so much to take in. It actually hurts to listen to them. Their music is like a reubik's cube.

- Squarepusher dude is a melodic genius.

- Venetian Snares dude is actually kinda boring. He's got some brilliant moments and I think his releases are getting better as of late, as he's introduced some simple melodies, but honestly most of his early shit is kinda boring.. just some guy with a bit too much time on his hand, manipulating gabber beats and not doing anything too remarkable with 'em. And he has released about 10,000 albums too many.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2009, 09:35 AM   #1427
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
awesome awesome! nude with boots was/is great. i caught them on tour not long after that album came out. so awesome live...esp. considering the duo-drummer-action. they are supposed to be back sometimes soon...maybe ill see 'em again.

bryceville, fl? is that a weird take on niceville? j/k.

probally not.
Believe it or not it is a real town. We have a population of 500 if we're lucky. Down town consists of an old 1940's style gas staion, a fire station, a school and a southern Baptist church.

I want to see the Melvins Live! No one worth listnening to ever comes around these parts.

And yes the percussion is fucking awesome!

Old 07.08.2009, 10:24 AM   #1428
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Quote:
weird...is that in the panhandle area?

i know the melvins DO (unlike most bands) sometimes play florida...
Close.
We are on the east side of the panhandle, about 40 miles or so from the Atlantic ocean and 15 miles south of the Georgia state line. It is a very beautiful and unusual place to exist in. I can live in the country and still be close enough to the beach to have a classic Florida tan.

I bitch too much. We do have some decent shit come in to Jacksonville Beach. Hank III & Assjack are coming on Sunday and I already have tickets!
I was also lucky enough to be present at a Duff McKagan's Loaded (The Duff from Guns n Roses) show that was held at Jax Beach back in April. It was Phenomenal. It has been a good year. If only the Youth would come back down here.

Old 07.08.2009, 10:24 AM   #1429
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
- (hEd)pe have a lot of good songs...

Ew.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2009, 10:46 AM   #1430
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Quote:
also...i know mudhoney played FL not tooooo long ago.

+++ i kinda wanted to see loaded, wasnt able to make it though. i hate g+r but have always had an massive amount of respect for duff. esp. for the person he is these days. hes always kept a certain "punk rock" sensibilty axl lacked.
I grew up on GnR and I have to admit that is what attracted me to the show initially, but it is REALLY GOOD STUFF. They have a great punk sound to them and they don't sound like GnR. Duff was one of the founding members so of course he is going to bring his past influences to the table, but he appears to take no pride in flaunting the GnR status. I got to meet him and he was a really nice guy. He hung out in the bar and talked with all of the fans for literally hours. For someone that was so fucked up back then he seems to have a really good handle on things.

Axl's voice is awesome, but Duff's has more heart. I like Chinese Democracy, but since I have been listening to Loaded it kind of sickens me that Axl is still making all this money from a band he pretty much forced the founding members out of. I don't listen to it much anymore (Just the 2 songs I reallly like).

Old 07.08.2009, 06:07 PM   #1431
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
Then one day.... I found myself singing "Going Blind" and I had to listen to it over and over until I had memorized every lyric. That was it for me. I am now a die hard Melvins fan.
That's a Kiss song you know.

Here's an unpopular one round here. From 74 til 77 Kiss were one of the greatest rock n roll bands of all time. You name them, Kiss were probably better than them.
Old 07.08.2009, 06:33 PM   #1432
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
KISSRULED
Old 07.08.2009, 06:40 PM   #1433
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Ew.

WHY THE FUCK YOU FUCKIN WIT MEEEEEEEEEEEE
WHY THE FUCK YOU FUCKIN WIT MEEEEEEEEEEE
WHY THE FUCK YOU WASTIN' MY TIME?
WHY THE FUCK YOU KILLIN' MY SUNSHINE?
WITH FRIENDS LIKE YOU, WHO REALLY NEEDS 'EM?
YOUR SMILIN FACE, SO DISGRACED, IT'S SO DECIEVING
CUT MY WRISTS, YOU SEE THEM BLEEDIN'
SMILE ON ME IN EARTH
THERE WILL BE NO RESURRECTION
YEAH I DON'T NEED 'EM
YO WHAT'S UP?
THERE WAS A TIME WE WUZ TIGHT
THERE WAS A TIME WE'D MAKE LOVE
AND YOU'D SUCK MY DICK LIKE EVERY NIGHT
THERE WAS A TIME I'D TREAT YOU LIKE MY QUEEN
BUT NOW YOUR PUSSY'S DIRTY
LIKE YOU NEED MISTER CLEAN

that song rules.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2009, 07:48 PM   #1435
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Liking Goldfrapp (apparently)

Kinda saw that one comin' tho.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2009, 08:26 PM   #1436
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
The Diamond Sea is too long.
Old 07.08.2009, 08:56 PM   #1437
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Deathcrush is the best thing Mayhem released by far.

Old 07.08.2009, 09:11 PM   #1438
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
Amon Dull (I or II)>Van Der Graaf>Hawkwind>Floyd>Crimson
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2009, 09:33 PM   #1439
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
sy's "my new house" > the fall's "my new house"

blasphemous, i know.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2009, 09:47 PM   #1440
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
Amon Dull (I or II)>Van Der Graaf>Hawkwind>Floyd>Crimson
That wouldn't have blown my mind so much if Crimson weren't at the end. What gives?

62697071 72 73747582 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth