Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Million Slut March
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.10.2011, 05:29 PM   #61
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnikpasswordforgetter
and no, its not important not to have a clear position. what would be important is saying the truth about the afterlife. its a yes or no question. and the answer is no. unless you want to talk about the tiny pieces of your dead body that decay or turn to dust and become parts of other organisms. you could try but then the notions of life and death break down. which they should since the christian conception is just so crude and ugly and provides so much torment to so many people that can't find anything different to read about.

heaven, hell. again the answer is no. jesus is dead. there is no monotheistic god. just humans stretching their experiences of concioussness and imagining some sort of self magically made or resides in the universe then calling it god. which is a mistake. gods a good concept yes. but nothing more. the world wasn't created by him. etc. etc.

Exactly my earlier point. You can't countenance that someone could believe this, you absolutely dismiss it, and it's not possible for someone with such a belief to impinge upon your belief that it's absolute bullshit. You believe the human body, consciousness, are nothing more than material effects, that's fine. You don't have to be reasonable and respect people's beliefs and all that - that's a pretty boring line to take anyway - but you keep asking 'but why do you believe this bullshit?' - some people do believe 'this bullshit', and I'm one of them. It's no biggy, really, I just don't know why you get yourself wound up about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 05:55 PM   #62
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Right. So are you interested in the weary old questions about ontology, metaphysics, presence/ absence, epistemology, logic... y'know, questions about the nature of reality. You seem very sure of what reality is. Which is nice. What is it, to you, please?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.10.2011, 06:11 PM   #63
startur
bad moon rising

startur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's asses
it's actually spreading, there were slut walks in ottawa and london (ontario) today...there's a facebook event page under slutwalk toronto or somehting...
startur is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 06:26 PM   #64
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
more avoidance. ontology - that means being right? well god does not exist. presence/absence. again - god does not exist and heaven and hell are not there. so i'll take absence. epistemology - yes, we can know that heaven, hell, gods existence and the resurrection of jesus are all not real and didn't happen/don't exist. logic - the very thing you have to abandon for your myths to work.

you want to avoid your argument coming down to "you can't prove these things aren't there so how do you know they aren't for sure?" but you can't really do it. no matter what words you use.

you are ultimately trying to avoid having to impose a bizarre and primitive creation myth and tribal back story onto someone else. that's all it is.

i mean, are you really trying to tell me since i'm a human (not god) i can't know for sure how things are out there in themselves and so maybe there really is a central operating room with god himself at the helm. lol.

as for your question. i'm not sure how to answer that. the question implies language has some relation to reality. do you want me to describe it? what description could suffice for reality other than reality?

telling that you said; "what is it, to you, please?"

i have no "personal" or individualised interpretation of reality. nor do i have a self that could accomplish this task.

This isn't avoidance. You don't believe in God - fine. You believe in [a] reality - fine. But you're refusing to articulate your understanding of ontology, metaphysics. Do you have to? No. Except you've aggressively asked me to articulate mine, and now refusing to answer the same questions back. You don't have to have an answer but you're assuming a hostile approach to my admittedly ill-defined answer to the same questions about the nature of existence. You say absence, but what absence? A total absence? Social Darwinism? Buddhism? Nihilism? Sadism?

You have no 'personal' reality - of course. Because you believe in a fundamental reality which is apprehendible by everyone, one which is self-evident - and in its self-evidence, it refutes articulation. So anyone who tries to apprehend it, anyone who acts within language, is only acting within language. Postmodernism 101.

I'm not saying you can't prove things. I'm saying something far more absurd, to your view, than that - I'm saying that the very nature of proof is fucked. You take God away from my view and I'm an absolute nihilist. You're just angry.

Quote:
Old 04.10.2011, 06:40 PM   #65
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I hear that Mary Magdalene was a hardcore slut and sometimes, even her ankles could be seen!
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 07:01 PM   #66
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
it's actually spreading, there were slut walks in ottawa and london (ontario) today...there's a facebook event page under slutwalk toronto or somehting...

If I could make one comment before I exit this thread. I do believe I have that right since I flamed up this thread way back.

I just wish their was more understanding.
Old 04.10.2011, 07:10 PM   #67
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonso
She did Jesus in the sepulcher.

I heard afterward, he wept.
Old 04.10.2011, 08:14 PM   #68
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I heard afterward, he wept.

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 09:23 PM   #69
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
'' i don't "believe" in "a reality". reality is something which cannot be affected by belief. it has no direct relation to belief.''
Nick, what does this mean?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 09:30 PM   #70
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, but our thoughts are the magic that affects any line of thought. And they indeed affect reality with dedication. Do you need me to show you examples of that?
Old 04.10.2011, 09:41 PM   #71
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
I GOT ALL THE BITCHES ON MY DICK
a million fucking sluts
guzzling my nut
I THINK I'M BASED CTHULHU

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2011, 09:47 PM   #72
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
the first sentence doesn't mean anything. i don't agree with the second. you can't do anything to reality. you are inside it.

you won't agree with me, neither will the majority of people except for strains of buddhism. its a view that is violently in opposition to the western conception of self.

an easy way to understand it is to think about how all concious decisions are made in certain areas of the brain a split second before you become concioussly aware of them. therefore there is no free will. hard for people to face up to but its been verified by neuroscientists.

you could read thomas metzinger if you still think you have a self. but really you have to go to buddhism (and actually understand it which is not easy) to get right down to it.

or, even better would be to read scott bakkers outstanding horror novel neuropath were he faces up to these truths.
I stand corrected. Even though, you filthy slut, my reality affects you. And I'm going to bed now. Slut.
Old 04.10.2011, 10:27 PM   #73
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
that our thoughts are not magic and can't affect reality

I completely and totally disagree as I have manifested such within my own life.

as soon as you get over the impotence of your own thoughts, you yourself may find personal freedom from your inner torments.

don't make me get SRS.
Old 04.11.2011, 09:07 AM   #74
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

sounds like a good read.

my mention of torment is in relation to your self-professed monumental depression, brodudeski.

me? my life is magical. my mind made it so; my mind, and voodoo.
Old 04.11.2011, 10:42 AM   #75
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
well i'll never agree with you.

and i dont find my position tormenting, the opposite is true. the torment was in the initial difficulty of accepting it and the difficulty in abandoning a lifetime of culturally enforced preconceptions. in fact i'd go so far as to say the initial horror in accepting it. thomas ligotti knows what i'm talking about. it's telling that for an american (former catholic) like him, these perspectives form the basis of his book of pessimistic philosophy. probably the pinnacle of the genre. he even said in interviews about it he absolutely would kill himself if he didn't have family commitments.

but like i said, i dont expect many to agree with this.

although it is completely true.

we haven't yet developed a way of talking from this perspective in the west. you can read some ligotti stories about the horror of puppets (hint, you are the same as a puppet) or you could try stephen batchelors buddhism books. its not like i expect my posts to convince people here to give up on the idea they are the creators of their own life and can shape reality with the force of their own will. it is this idea that is impotent.

everyone assumes i am "tormented" or "angry" and just say those things over and over again. i would expect to be attacked in far worse ways if i went around aggressively confronting people with these viewpoints.

in fact, someone like zizek who clice mentioned earlier you can imagine wanting to throw people who think like this in his "gulag". i think he'd hypothetically have to.

as i've said, the buddhists messed up this knowledge by offering a form of redemption (nirvana). which can only make sense when you accept this perspective. (although i don't believe in reincarnation). another thing they did was lead their people into war. they used a great arguement, which zizek himself extrapolates as "when your sword is going into the enemies chest, do not worry as this is not true reality. this is the viel of maya (illusion) and so it is permissable to kill in these situations as you are merely the passive observer of your hand thrusting the knife into the other person." which you have to admire in its evil genius. basically telling you to just disconnect from your actions and become a passive observer of your body as it kills someone else.

however, none of you can possibly disagree with my point about free will being non existant because the brain has been scientifically proven to make its decisions a moment before you become concious of them.

you can try, and undoubtedly this kind of humiliation will be fought against by the left and right alike. you can deny it. but it's an observable and scientifically verified phenonemon.

and the reason it freaks you the fuck out is because this means that hypothetically, if someone was to get wireless access to your brain with some future technology they could control your actions and you wouldn't even know it. the way to stop worrying is to realise this is effectively happening already, but (for now at least) its not the cia.

however, they've recently observed that with the technology they have now, the brain tends to obey 5 out of every 6 of the small range of commands they are able to send to it. they don't know why this is, i heard it put forward it was some sort of quantum phenomenon. like the brain has a built in security system or something.

now do you all understand why schizos tend to say things like "the cia is stealing my thoughts" and "my teeth are picking up radio transmissions"?

It might be worth reading this. http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../mind_decision

It looks like the study you're referencing has been backed up by this newer study, but it looks like you're misplacing its significance. Sure, brain activity occurs long before you become aware of the decision (7 seconds according to this article), but it has only been tested using simple decisions. This study was conducted where a person had to push a button using their left hand or the right hand and scientists were able to predict which hand the person was going to use. The scientists themselves even say that, while this is fascinating, there is no reason to throw out the idea of free will all together based on this evidence.

I'm not particularly uncomfortable with the idea that there is no free will. I study the social sciences and there are authors who take similar stances without relying on brain studies to prove their point (Bourdieu and his Habitus, for example). At the same time, I think it's wise to consider your sources before constructing an all exclusive ideology.
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2011, 10:45 AM   #76
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

It's the end of an era.
Old 04.11.2011, 11:16 AM   #77
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Post hoc ergo propter hoc
What if, for example, "free will" is not strictly conscious?
sluts: forgive them, for they know not what they do.
Old 04.11.2011, 12:18 PM   #78
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Those aren't real sluts. I don't see any drunken chicks with low self esteem/daddy issues confusing cock with love.

They should move the parade to Cancún.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2011, 08:43 AM   #79
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
I also like how I'm being roasted for using the word 'feminazi' like if I actually meant it. Let alone the fact that I'm not even a native english speaker and that the first time I've read that word was here on SYG.
your a bad bad man and you dress like a SLUT.
Old 04.15.2011, 10:26 AM   #80
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Was any of the females here on the slut march? I'd imagine satan was.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth