Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page welll, how bout an ol, what bands you been into as of late:
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.24.2008, 05:56 PM   #61
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
The Blood Brothers aren't anything like My Chemical Romance. You wouldn't have made that comparison a few years ago.

I listened to the Blood Brothers the other day for the first time in ages, and I wasn't that moved. I used to love them back in the day though.
What the fuck, Norma?! I'm so disappointed, dude! I still (heart) you... but... I'm ...yeah... disappointed!

For one, atsonicpark... again... you are a name-dropping fucking moron, shut up, stop making everything you say into an incoherent, anti-everything-that-isn't-japanese-or-so-underground-it-hurts essay, and for god's sake, get a grip.
For two, Blood Brothers sound absolutely (and I say this very strictly) NOTHING like My Chemical Romance. How you could even come up with tha, I don't have a damn clue, but fucking WHAT?! The only similarity is that 'scene' kids like MCR. Scene kids also used to like the song Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck by the Blood Brothers. And even that was pushing it. If kids like music with screaming, it's Converge (who happen to be pretty killer anyway... though, they sound a bit too much like Yamataka Takahashi's* full band recordings from the early 90s for my liking...)
Feel free to retaliate, but I have decided that I am just going to skip over yr posts from now on.
Also, sorry to everyone else... Don't really like to do this, but I'm so sick and tired of mr. atsonicpark.**

*Not real, I'm just making fun of you still.\

And by the way, Holy Molar fucking rule, I've never really heard any name-dropping of them, just checked them out because they're on Three.One.G. Wasn't disappointed... not to mention, funny as FUCK.

**Sorry, asp. I guess this is a bit too harsh. I just find you annoying, is all.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 06:54 PM   #63
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I've been listening Xiu Xiu - (specifically Women as Lovers), and Elliott Smith almost constantly...
Lately, I've been kickin' some Daughters, Locust, Bob Dylan and Beatles action, though.
*Yeah, I got into both The Beatles AND Dylan... FUCKED UP!!!

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 01.24.2008, 07:09 PM   #64
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Hey, what's fucked up about the Beatles and Dylan? I love them both but especially the latter - that guys musically out of this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
What the fuck, Norma?! I'm so disappointed, dude! I still (heart) you... but... I'm ...yeah... disappointed!

For one, atsonicpark... again... you are a name-dropping fucking moron, shut up, stop making everything you say into an incoherent, anti-everything-that-isn't-japanese-or-so-underground-it-hurts essay, and for god's sake, get a grip.
For two, Blood Brothers sound absolutely (and I say this very strictly) NOTHING like My Chemical Romance. How you could even come up with tha, I don't have a damn clue, but fucking WHAT?! The only similarity is that 'scene' kids like MCR. Scene kids also used to like the song Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck by the Blood Brothers. And even that was pushing it. If kids like music with screaming, it's Converge (who happen to be pretty killer anyway... though, they sound a bit too much like Yamataka Takahashi's* full band recordings from the early 90s for my liking...)
Feel free to retaliate, but I have decided that I am just going to skip over yr posts from now on.
Also, sorry to everyone else... Don't really like to do this, but I'm so sick and tired of mr. atsonicpark.**

And by the way, Holy Molar fucking rule, I've never really heard any name-dropping of them, just checked them out because they're on Three.One.G. Wasn't disappointed... not to mention, funny as FUCK.

**Sorry, asp. I guess this is a bit too harsh. I just find you annoying, is all.

I don't dislike the Blood Brothers by any means. I still appreciate them. I just don't enjoy them as much as I used to. I do think, though, that their latest few releases were fantastic contrary to popular belief of the indie kid. They moved more into rhythm and added other elements like electronica, experimenting further with their sound. Which seems to be where Johnny and Cody are venturing into, although I'm not too fond of Jaguar Love. Not to mention Johnny and his stupid bloody clothes label.
I just listened to Burn, Piano Island, Burn the other day and I just didn't get very much from it like I used to, that's all.
Old 01.24.2008, 07:26 PM   #65
k-krack
invito al cielo

That'sa bummer. I love everything the Bros released. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Jaguar Love... or Champagne, Champagne (sp?)... they're both pretty crappy from what I've heard. I'm super bummed that they broke up, but if they would have progressed into something more like Jaguar Love*, I would be immensely disappointed... I guess I can just be stoked I got to see them play, and they will live on as fucking amazing. haha
Wow... soooo long and pointless.

And fuck Crystal City... so lame. Though some of the designs are pretty happ'nin' (put it on a band shirt!)..

*Neon Blonde suck(ed?) too... they were practically a fuckin' Crystal City advertisement, anyway.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 01.24.2008, 07:28 PM   #66
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

well back when they first started or released their first 7 inch everybody (by everybody i mean kids that went to hardcore shows) name dropped them as being as good as the locust (back when the locust were pretty good). so i bought that 7 inch because of it and i didn't like it.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2008, 07:42 PM   #67
k-krack
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
(back when the locust were pretty good)

WHAT WHAT WHAT!?!?!?
FUCK DUDE!!! NEW ERECTIONS WAS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE ALBUMS OF 2007!!!
And easily my favourite Locust record to date.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 01.24.2008, 08:12 PM   #68
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
WHAT WHAT WHAT!?!?!?
FUCK DUDE!!! NEW ERECTIONS WAS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE ALBUMS OF 2007!!!
And easily my favourite Locust record to date.

the last locust i heard was the one that they released in 2003 (don't remember the name). i was a bit of a fan of their first 7 inch and their s/t record.
Old 01.24.2008, 08:40 PM   #69
k-krack
invito al cielo

Plague Soundscapes. Album is so killer, but check out their most recent records if you can...
Safety Second, Body Last [2005] it's an ep, but really started to show a bigger change in their sound. It's one song, divided into a few separate movements.

and New Erections [2007] which has longer compositions than most of their other stuff (bar SS,BL), and a lot more expanding in the sound from the grindy-22-second-blasts-of-awesome of the first couple records.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 01.25.2008, 12:50 AM   #70
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That'sa bummer. I love everything the Bros released. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Jaguar Love... or Champagne, Champagne (sp?)... they're both pretty crappy from what I've heard. I'm super bummed that they broke up, but if they would have progressed into something more like Jaguar Love*, I would be immensely disappointed... I guess I can just be stoked I got to see them play, and they will live on as fucking amazing. haha
Wow... soooo long and pointless.

And fuck Crystal City... so lame. Though some of the designs are pretty happ'nin' (put it on a band shirt!)..

*Neon Blonde suck(ed?) too... they were practically a fuckin' Crystal City advertisement, anyway.

Yeah. It seems as if Johnny has gone all, as much as I hate using this term, 'scene'. I think I actually deleted Neon Blonde as a friend on Myspace because of all the Crystal City shit he went on about so much. It was embarrassing enough on the BB bulletins.

Do you like Waxwing (rip)? A great band.
Old 01.25.2008, 03:17 AM   #71
Poor Immigrant
empty page

Poor Immigrant kicks all y'all's assesPoor Immigrant kicks all y'all's assesPoor Immigrant kicks all y'all's assesPoor Immigrant kicks all y'all's assesPoor Immigrant kicks all y'all's assesPoor Immigrant kicks all y'all's assesPoor Immigrant kicks all y'all's assesPoor Immigrant kicks all y'all's assesPoor Immigrant kicks all y'all's assesPoor Immigrant kicks all y'all's assesPoor Immigrant kicks all y'all's asses
Recently I've been listening to: Vampire Weekend Black Mountain Cat Power The National & Band of horses Most of is really great
Poor Immigrant is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 06:28 AM   #72
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
K-Krack, I'm pretty sure your post was a joke, because of how misinformed and silly it was. And if it was a joke, you succeeded in making me laugh! If it wasn't a joke, well -- hey, you're telling ME to "get a grip"? I've never attacked another board member on this board, even when I disagreed with them 200%. Anyway, I'll try my best to respond to you, but.. ugh.. your above-groundness and my undergroundness are.. clashing.. ughhhhhh..!!! It.. huRTS!!!!!!1...

....Seriously, will you please stop with the "you're too underground" shit? It makes you look childish. That's something people who want to be experts on everything say when they're frustrated because they haven't heard the bands someone else likes. There are people on this board with musical knowledge that far surpasses mine, and I am GRATEFUL that they turn me on to new things, not bitter because I'm still sitting here pretending that the Blood Brothers are good.

Also, I never said My Chemical Romance sounded like the Blood Brothers. I think I've stated this twice. I said they're part of the same embarassing girlpants bullshit your-little-sister-loves-'em scene, they don't make the same music.

And, your opinions on me are hilariously invalid -- some of my favorite bands of all time are Tool and the Deftones! "Underground dood!" System of a Down's first album is amazing! Etc. Fuck, I love pop and j-pop, listened to by MILLIONS of people! I have no shame!... I could go on and on. I don't need to. I don't like any of that shit ironically either. Anyway... You clearly don't know what you're talking about, so why bother? I don't think I listed any obscure bands in my post -- Yaphet Kotto sure is hell isn't obscure. I like music in general, I don't care how popular/unpopular it is. Are you the same person who replied to one of my posts a while back and said Clikitat Ikatowi were some "obscure Japanese bullshit" band? Sorry if that wasn't you, but if it was, that proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

It's funny when people disagree with me and they try to paint me out to be some kind of music nazi who doesn't know anything and only wants them to like what I like, when I'm probably one of the only people on this board who actually knows what they're talking about and also completely supports people listening to music I hate. Haha. Hell, I listed a bunch of things I liked about the Blood Brothers in my post!

Feel free to skip my posts, I don't care, if you want to be a baby about me not liking the music you worship, go ahead. I'm only here to give opinions and help people and you have some kind of moral conflict wherein if someone doesn't like the music you like, you go batshit (see the post where you go "WHAT THE FUCK DUDE THE LOCUST OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!" a few posts above -- seriously, who the fuck replies like that? I never have! Cue "I was just joking!" response in 3... 2...). Just remember, I don't skip people's posts. I'm not the asshole here, as much as you want me to be. I think everyone deserves an opinion.

"BULLEMIC RAINBOWS AND VOMIT WHAT?
AND BURN PIANO ISLAND BURN!!!!!!!!!!"

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 11:54 AM   #73
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
new erections is embarrasingly awful, i can't believe they got it released. if they were on a major and turned that album in, they would have been dropped in a second.

a band that writes 50 seconds-songs and screams trying to make 4 minute songs with singing...scratch that, overindulgent 4 minute songs with half baked crappy singing. sorry, one of my favorite albums is plague soundscapes but that one is just ugh, i feel bad listening to it.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 12:58 PM   #74
uhler
invito al cielo

i'm sorry if i hurt anyone's feelings (well not that sorry) but whoever thought clikitat ikatowi was an obscure japanese band is an idiot. unless they were just joking about that.
Old 01.25.2008, 01:24 PM   #75
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
in the general world of underground rock, not to mention the regular rock worl, Yaphet Kotto and clitakat itakawi ARE obscure.
Old 01.25.2008, 01:37 PM   #76
sarramkrop

Sol Invictus
Diamanda Galas
Current 93
Pussy Galore
Alvin Lucier
Spunk
Charlemagne Palestine
Shonen Knife
Camutao
The White Birch
Group Doueh
Burt Bacharach
Ran Slavin
Radian
Jandek
Radboud Mens

Quite a lot of the stuff that the Staalplaat label puts out, in fact.

http://www.staalplaat.com/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 01:48 PM   #77
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
in the general world of underground rock, not to mention the regular rock worl, Yaphet Kotto and clitakat itakawi ARE obscure.

Ha
Old 01.25.2008, 02:15 PM   #78
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I guess it depends on what is meant by "band," but as of late I have really been diggin' Charles Mingus and John Zorn.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2008, 03:06 PM   #79
uhler
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

that's true. it seems like the only people that like them or know about them are/were into a subgenre of a subgenre of a subgenre of hardcore.
Old 01.25.2008, 04:07 PM   #80
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I dunno, Rob, Clikitat Ikatowi were always pretty popular to people I knew, as were all those Gravity Bands. Yaphet Kotto I don't hear about as much except for that last record they did which wasn't as good anyway. Ah well.

And yeah Marcos, I dunno if I said that in my post or I deleted it because I didn't want to start another debate, but New Erections was straight-up fucking TERRIBLE. I did like the EP before it and Plague Soundscapes sounded okay, but jesus. New Erections was definitely one of the worst albums I've ever heard in my life.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth