Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page favorite jean-luc godard movies?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2009, 02:24 PM   #41
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I love Godard now. Really gotten into him in the past month. Very inspirational to me......... Week End melts my mind so bad.

Just got A WOMAN IS A WOMAN and CONTEMPT. Can't wait to watch em...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2009, 02:26 PM   #42
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Aah..
New Wave!
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2009, 02:28 PM   #43
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Fucking amazing:

Old 06.25.2009, 02:31 PM   #44
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Regarding my comment about Pierret Le Fou being inspirational to Kitano earlier in this thread.. I'd like to mention that the plot of Hana-Bi is almost identical.. don't want to give it away, but basically.. two people steal some money.. murder-suicide.. on the run... having silly fun while all this violence happens around them... beach shots!... etc.

Also, "staring-directly-into-the-camera", something Kitano does on every single film... which is like my favorite thing in the world... Did Godard invent that?

Old 06.25.2009, 02:52 PM   #45
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
I've watched A Bout De Souffle a long time ago, and thought it was good, but not great.
Then I watched Le Mepris and thought it sucked.
Then I watched A Bout De Souffle again and realized both were the same movie.
The big difference being: Belmondo is cool and charming, Seberg is lovely and charming, Piccoli is pretentious and boring, Bardot has big boobs but she act quite bad.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2009, 06:59 AM   #46
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

“It's over. There was a time maybe when cinema could have improved society, but that time was missed”. - Godard

Old 07.30.2009, 07:45 AM   #47
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Also, "staring-directly-into-the-camera", something Kitano does on every single film... which is like my favorite thing in the world... Did Godard invent that?

No.
It's called 'breaking the fourth wall' and The Marx Brothers were the first to use it in films that had sound. It's a device that prior to them,
had only been done by filmmakers in silent films --for obvious reasons. Stories were told very differently back in those days.
The language of film was in it's infancy and actors had to literally spoonfeed the audiences into understanding the plot.
Old 07.30.2009, 09:45 AM   #48
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
gaulbert-i disagree with you that breathless and contempt are "the same movie", but alot of godard's work can definitely be seen as a continuum; always working with similar ideas done with different approaches, or different ideas done with recognizable approaches.

staring into the camera has probably been done since the lumiere brothers were filming their documentaries, but godard's use of it is pretty killer. i guess what made it stand out for him was that he would disrupt the whole narrative to have one of the actors ackowledge the camera and/or audience.

i do think godard was the first to film so many scenes with the camera staring at the BACK of peoples heads (vivre sa vie)
Old 07.30.2009, 11:43 AM   #49
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Ah, that's what I meant, not that he invented people staring into the camera, but the way he would incorporate that into his movies to show emotional depth. He would completely interrupt the storytelling with scenes of that... Like that scene in Pierrot where Anna Karina's character says "of course" and looks at the camera... almost makes me want to cry, in all seriousness. That's what Kitano does too.. to convey "emotion", he'll have the characters stare directly into the camera. It's a neat trick.

I've noticed some other weird tricks Godard employs often. Some are obvious (the title screens), but some are a bit weirder. I've noticed he often plays with the sound in his films, more than any director I can think of. He won't simply let a track drone on.. it's odd. Take that scene in Weekend where there is a long story about eggshells and cum and dog bowls and all that weird shit. The most suspensful, abrasive, weird music will play at random times, out of nowhere. What was up with that? In fact, that whole movie is so purposely abrasive as to be ridiculous. Maybe that's why I love it. A FILM FOUND IN A TRASH DUMP. THE END OF CINEMA. Haha. Also, he often incorporates brilliant silence into his movies.

I found out recently Godard has 94 films.

90 fucking 4.

Strangely, almost the entire focus on him is films he made at the beginning of his career. I'll admit, I haven't seen anything past a certain point yet, but some of it is hard to find! I have shit like "For Ever MOZART" and "Detective" in my netflix queue. Very curious...

Old 07.31.2009, 08:33 PM   #50
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am the arm
as long as we're being film snobs...

1. WEEKEND (this movie is so fucking awesome i can't believe it, scares the shit outta people)
2. Alphaville
3. Band Of Outsiders
4. A Woman Is A Woman
5. Contempt
6. Tout Va Bien

i still gotta see Breathless...

Why why why must Godard fans be "film snobs"?, goddammit......I hate that notion, that cliche......

I've immersed myself in Godard over the last year.

-his later works are criminally overlooked.
-my fav is Pierrot Le Fou.
-but Notre Musique, Detective, and Helas Pour Moi are right up there for me.
-Godard may confound, repel, disgust, infuriate......but he will never bore.
-there is so much more for me to discover. Thank you for this thread. I'll now read it carefully.
Old 07.31.2009, 09:46 PM   #51
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
I forgot that I posted earlier in this thread, LOL.
Old 07.31.2009, 09:53 PM   #52
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
I LOVE all the Star Trek next gen series, I really can't choose one episode.. and all the movies were just as good.. he really is the best captain.

o wait.
Old 07.31.2009, 11:20 PM   #53
Skuj
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
I LOVE all the Star Trek next gen series, I really can't choose one episode.. and all the movies were just as good.. he really is the best captain.

o wait.

Your avatar defies this.
Old 07.31.2009, 11:21 PM   #54
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
I am a girl of many tastes..
Old 08.01.2009, 10:44 AM   #55
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
I cant wait to see his later stuff! I've seen almost everything up to week-end and i now have everything after that in my netflix.
Old 10.06.2009, 09:38 AM   #56
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

1. Pierrot Le Fou
2. Weekend
3. Oh, Woe Is Me
4. Notre Musique
5. Breathless
6. Tout Va Bien
7. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her
8. In Praise of Love
9. Contempt
10. Detective

something like that.

Old 10.06.2009, 10:52 AM   #57
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I like almost all his stuff.
Old 10.31.2009, 07:35 AM   #58
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
WARNING! SPAM ALERT:

I'm selling three Godard DVDs (In Praise of Love 2001, Soigne Ta Droite! 1987, My Life to Live (Facets edition)) and three Godard VHSs (Numero Deux 1975, Comment Ca Va? 1976, La Gai Savoir 1968).

All are ex-library copies, so they have annoying stickers here and there, but all have been used rarely and are in pretty good shape. PM for details.

(Also have a small Heidegger collection for sale)
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2009, 07:42 AM   #59
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
A bout de souffle! Most definetly.
Old 10.31.2009, 08:02 AM   #60
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
it's good to see so many people have seen le weekend. he's making a new film at the moment in which alain badiou will give a lecture in an empty cruise ship apparently. this gives hope that he has revised his previous opinion that cinema can no longer improve humanity. i've always been curious as to why he said that. was it an attempt to rid himself of artistic obsessions because of at the time he felt direct political action was what was needed and art was too much of an indulgence or was it just a reactionary cynical comment? i haven't read enough about it but i do know that at one point he gave up film all together to concentrate on politics.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth