Excellent Italian Greyhound 3 17.65%
shite anyway 0 0%
live they suck 0 0%
leave Steve Albini aloooooooooooooooone! 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07.09.2008, 08:35 AM   #41
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
albini is the coolest motherfucker in underground rock, period.

shellac is the master of opening tracks: "my black ass", "didnt we deserve a look at you the way you really are', 'a prayer to god' (!), and "the end of radio" are all fucking rocking. such great tracks to start a record.
A Prayer To God is the best opening track to any album ever, in my opinion.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2008, 08:36 AM   #42
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
damn straight my brotha

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2008, 08:37 AM   #43
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
metallica's 'batterey' and 'fight fire with fire' come to my mind as well. but thats for another thread i suppose.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.09.2008, 08:50 AM   #44
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
best opening lyric...

"gonna eat what i pick...
and i hope you choke on it!"
Old 12.15.2008, 01:29 PM   #45
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex

ha, you picked a photo form their Sofia gig.
boy that was awesome!
i posted more pictures in my own thread.
maybe i could repost them here, since it's the OFFICIAL Shellac appreciation thread.
gotta love this band.
or die.
or else...
Old 12.15.2008, 03:45 PM   #46
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
no English, no money

tatata
tatatatatatatatatatatatata
tatatatatatata
Old 12.15.2008, 04:29 PM   #47
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656

is that johnny thunders in the middle?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2008, 04:55 PM   #48
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I have to be in the mood. They're not like a lot of bands where putting on the record can make me in the mood for the band and its music. I have to want to hear the Big Black/Rapeman/Shellac sound before I can drop the need or cue the tape.

Not sure what that says about how much I appreciate them. When I'm into them, though, I'm really into them. They're just not a band I turn to every day.
Old 12.15.2008, 10:41 PM   #49
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
That hoody still kills me.

Sunn Albini.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 04:38 PM   #50
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Merry Christmas.
I was tidying a whole bunch of files in the old PC when i stumbled on this really nice baby. This is the mighty SHELLAC, live @ Maroquinerie in PARIS ; march 2004.
16 songs (including early versions of Excellent Greyhound songs to be released only 3 years later...) and 4 questions to the band" session.
The sound if interesting as it really sounds as if you're close to the stage , full and crispy. Very energetic set. approx 212 variable bitrate.

HERE GOES, "be preopared"
Old 01.29.2009, 09:46 AM   #51
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, thats a brilliant recording....... isnt that the one with wingwalker where steve goes off on a tangent about scramjet engines?
Old 01.29.2009, 09:47 AM   #52
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

A scramjet (supersonic combustion ramjet) is a variation of a ramjet distinguished by supersonic combustion. At higher speeds, it is necessary to combust supersonically to maximize the efficiency of the combustion process. Projections for the top speed of a scramjet engine (without additional oxidiser input) vary between Mach 12 and Mach 24 (orbital velocity). The X-30 research gave Mach 17 due to combustion rate issues. By way of contrast, the fastest conventional air-breathing, manned vehicles, such as the U.S. Air Force SR-71, achieve approximately Mach 3.4 and rockets from the Apollo Program achieved Mach 30+.
Like a ramjet, a scramjet essentially consists of a constricted tube through which inlet air is compressed by the high speed of the vehicle, a combustion chamber where fuel is combusted, and a nozzle through which the exhaust jet leaves at higher speed than the inlet air. Also like a ramjet, there are few or no moving parts. In particular, there is no high-speed turbine, as in a turbofan or turbojet engine, that is expensive to produce and can be a major point of failure.
A scramjet requires supersonic airflow through the engine, thus, similar to a ramjet, scramjets have a minimum functional speed. This speed is uncertain due to the low number of working scramjets, relative youth of the field, and the largely classified nature of research using complete scramjet engines. However, it is likely to be at least Mach 5 for a pure scramjet, with higher Mach numbers (between 7 and 9) more likely. Thus scramjets require acceleration to hypersonic speed via other means. A hybrid ramjet/scramjet would have a lower minimum functional Mach number, and some sources indicate the NASA X-43A research vehicle is a hybrid design. Recent tests of prototypes have used a booster rocket to obtain the necessary velocity. Air breathing engines should have significantly better specific impulse while within the atmosphere than rocket engines.
However, scramjets have weight and complexity issues that must be considered. While very short suborbital scramjet test flights have been successfully performed, perhaps significantly no flown scramjet has ever been successfully designed to survive a flight test. The viability of scramjet vehicles is hotly contested in aerospace and space vehicle circles, in part because many of the parameters which would eventually define the efficiency of such a vehicle remain uncertain. This has led to grandiose claims from both sides, which have been intensified by the large amount of funding involved in any hypersonic testing. Some notable aerospace gurus such as Henry Spencer and Jim Oberg have gone so far as calling orbital scramjets "the hardest way to reach orbit", or even 'scamjets' due to the extreme technical challenges involved. Major, well funded projects, like the X-30 were cancelled before producing any working hardware.

Old 01.29.2009, 12:23 PM   #53
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
yeah, thats a brilliant recording....... isnt that the one with wingwalker where steve goes off on a tangent about scramjet engines?
"LOOK AT ME
I'M A PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE"
Old 01.29.2009, 12:28 PM   #54
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
This live recording is great. Thanks a bunch.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 12:30 PM   #55
greedrex
invito al cielo

isn't it?
I'm glad some people grabbed it cuz i took me a while to upload this mofo.
kool.
Old 01.29.2009, 12:32 PM   #56
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Reminds me of when I saw them live... which was the best show I'd ever been to. I even told Todd Trainer that and he said in a very droney voice, "Thaaaaaaanks, glaaaad you enjoyeeeed the shooooooooow."
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 12:33 PM   #57
greedrex
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
which was the best show I'd ever been to.
idem for me, with Fugazi opening in london.
jeez that was insane.
Old 01.30.2009, 03:52 AM   #58
nobye-noaloha
bad moon rising

nobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's assesnobye-noaloha kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
idem for me, with Fugazi opening in london.
jeez that was insane.
fugazi opening for shellac !!!!
you're lucky dude !!!!!
nobye-noaloha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2009, 04:27 AM   #59
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
I think Shellac is way more influential than Big Black.
BB has influenced Ministry and NIN, Young Gods, well not many.
Shellac has influenced almost every band on Touch&Go in the 90's ( it was more cloning than inspiration ), many bands on Amrep, like Guzzard, they almost created a genre ( minus the name ).
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2009, 04:58 AM   #60
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
You forgot to mention Big Black influenced MARILYN MANSON.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth