Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page help my brain: classic recommendations please
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.01.2009, 09:24 PM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2009, 09:25 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I also highly reccomend iancu dumitrescu, who glice highly reccomended a while back and who blew my mind.

I really like abstract, "dark" classical music... Glice, have any more reccomendations?
Old 09.01.2009, 09:55 PM   #23
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I will eternally adore "Rites of Spring" by Stravinsky

The Art of Noises by Luigi Russolo is a piece of prophetic genius

Tuning Up by Edgard Varese rather predicts what the Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth would carry into rock music in many ways

John Cage has too many pieces to mention (and I know, probably wasn't what you meant when you said "classical", but whatever...), however, First Construction in Metal is a composition that I truly love, and In the Name of the Holocaust (for prepared piano) has a "classical" vibe that's really powerful.

Musique d'ameublement by Erik Satie is very beautiful

I'm a fan of the Kronos Quartet and have many albums, my two favorite being Black Angels (which has many amazing compositions played by them from Ives to the awesome title track by George Crumb which is one of the most jaw droppingly good pieces of music ever) and Sunrise of the Planetary Dream Collector which is Terry Riley pieces (Riley being their mentor in the early days).
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2009, 06:03 AM   #24
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a big fan of the whole La Monte Young/"Theatre of Eternal Music" school of classical minimalism, so check out a few of the classic releases from them:

My personal favourites are John Cale's various compositional releases from outside of the Velvet Underground, although these are probably the least traditionally "classical". The Table of the Elements "New York in the 60s" box set is hands down one of my favourite from my whole collection. Truly stunning. It's quite a long way out of print though, but the 3 discs from it have been released separately. The first, "Sun Blindness Music", is my personal favourite, but all 3 volumes are essential. I'd also recommend that you check out the John Cale/Terry Riley collaboration "Church of Anthrax", which is even further removed from any normal definition of classical music, but regardless of anything is just a fucking excellent album.

In a similar vein to the New York in the 60s box set, TOE also released a 4CD Tony Conrad box set called "Early Minimalism" that's fantastic.

Oh, and if you happen to not be familiar with La Monte Young's "The Well Tuned Piano", rectify this. It's amazing, and has been the background soundtrack to many a long work session of mine. There's no way you'll be able to find one to buy for any non-insane price, but it's not too hard to find online. Any performance will be fine, as there are only 2 or 3 available that I know of, and they're all performed by La Monte himself.

Outside of the Theatre minimalist axis:

It's sadly a bit of a cliché at this point, but Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians" is a classic for a reason. I'm personally most familiar with the Nonesuch recording, and would heartily recommend it, but the original ECM recording is also fantastic from what I've heard, and that's the one that people generally often to consider the best, so maybe go for that one.

And if what you're really looking for is some lush classical background music, the ECM new series release of Arvo Part's "Alina" is very beautiful (not because Part is only good as background music; just because it happens to work excellently for that purpose...).
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2009, 08:28 AM   #25
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, also, forgot to mention: If you're willing to put the time/money in, there's a fantastic 10 disc "25 Years of the Kronos Quarter" box set, on Nonesuch. They're one of the all time great groups of modern classical performers, and the set covers so many fantastic composers, all beautifully performed, so it makes a really good introduction to the world of modern classical music, or at least I found so...
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
Old 09.02.2009, 09:16 AM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
La Monte Young's "The Well Tuned Piano",.

Yeah, I've listened to this is in its entirety 3 times in my life. All 3 times were mindblowing.
Old 09.02.2009, 12:17 PM   #27
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air

I'm not trying to be a dick, but there is no "s" at the end of "Rite" in that title. Just wanted to mention in to save confusion when NR looks for it.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2009, 12:54 PM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I love Bartok, especially his string quartets, which are disjointed freak outs of high order.
Old 09.02.2009, 02:24 PM   #29
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I won't be able to give specific recordings, apart from the works conducted by Boulez maybe (Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, whatever...).
Old 09.02.2009, 02:39 PM   #30
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I love Bartok, especially his string quartets, which are disjointed freak outs of high order.

This recording is very much worth it.

In response to Herr Park - I reckon Jakob Ullman's 'a catalogue of sounds' might be well up your street. I don't think it'd be up a lot of people's streets mind you, but I've been fairly wounded by it.

Also for Herr Park - you really should get on the case with Wagner's Tristan and Isolde. Furtwangler's version, ideally. You mightn't like it straight away, but you really should. Just that fucking prelude alone... madness, I tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2009, 02:52 PM   #31
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2009, 03:00 PM   #32
Seandi
stalker

Seandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's asses

Seandi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2009, 03:24 PM   #33
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic sphere

Ha! Seriously? The worst of all concerned this particular one. I mean, it's not appalling, but everyone concerned has done lots better.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 09.02.2009, 03:41 PM   #34
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air

The Art of Noises by Luigi Russolo is a piece of prophetic genius

Tuning Up by Edgard Varese rather predicts what the Velvet Underground and Sonic Youth would carry into rock music in many ways

John Cage has too many pieces to mention (and I know, probably wasn't what you meant when you said "classical", but whatever...), however, First Construction in Metal is a composition that I truly love, and In the Name of the Holocaust (for prepared piano) has a "classical" vibe that's really powerful.

Musique d'ameublement by Erik Satie is very beautiful

I'm a fan of the Kronos Quartet and have many albums, my two favorite being Black Angels (which has many amazing compositions played by them from Ives to the awesome title track by George Crumb which is one of the most jaw droppingly good pieces of music ever) and Sunrise of the Planetary Dream Collector which is Terry Riley pieces (Riley being their mentor in the early days).

+1 to Rite of Spring. His other ballets are quite good as well.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2009, 03:42 PM   #35
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Ha! Seriously? The worst of all concerned this particular one. I mean, it's not appalling, but everyone concerned has done lots better.

even the (fake) helicopters?

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2009, 04:42 PM   #36
barry swedgin
bad moon rising

barry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYypmgIYOVQ
Old 09.02.2009, 04:45 PM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

thanks glice, will look into.
Old 09.02.2009, 06:31 PM   #38
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, I've listened to this is in its entirety 3 times in my life. All 3 times were mindblowing.

Man, I've always intended to do that, but it's just finding the right 5 hours to say "I am going to listen to a fucking Well Tuned piano"...
Old 09.08.2009, 06:36 AM   #39
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
if i may add some as well. first do whatever glice says.
especially if it concerns don giovanni. i will definitely have to check out that recording.
if you want quality preformances, you usually cant go wrong with deutsche grammaphone. they usually have quality stuff.
anything james levine conducts is usually great and boulez.
other bartok to check out are his quintet and conerto for orchestra. last year i saw his miraculous mandarin suite which is fantastic.
messiaen turangalilot symphony is amazing. i like messiaen a lot because you can usually get a great mixture of really crazy music with really beautifuly composed lyrical music. the same goes for bartok.
oh and mozarts jupiter symphony (41) if you have not heard it, then you kind of must.
i have not yet heard all of berlioz's requiem but the dies ire is pretty great. there is this insane part composed for 14 timpanis.
two days ago i saw wagner's tannhauser which is pretty fantastic.
and anything by arvo part that have heard has been amazing.l but im sure that glice knows more on the subject and better recordings than what naxos has to offer

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 07:31 AM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Messiaen is kind of ideal - you can listen to him on the 'what the actual fuck is going on?' level or just let it all wash over you. Turangalila or Quartet for the end of time come highly recommended.

I've not heard this specific recording but I've never gone wrong with these editions.

Funnily enough, the Naxos version of Fratres/ Tabular Rasa (Part) is my preferred one, although by rights it really should be

this one. The thing with Naxos is that, while they are cheap, they are very good at former Easter-bloc composers. I've got a fair bit of Schnittke and Lutoslawski on Naxos, and I've got no complaints. It's only when they start faffing about with Beethoven or someone (their edition of the Emperor concerto is poo) that it's not as good, but it very much depends on who's playing.

Anyway - Part - Tabula Rasa on Naxos, and Miserere/ Alina/ Litany on ECM. If you can find a recording of 'If Bach had been a beekeeper', that's well worth it. Quite different to his slightly later stuff. I'd go careful with Part though, he's often iffy - especially his most recent stuff.

This has kind of stopped being about recommendations now, hasn't it?

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth