Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What to do with life?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.27.2006, 01:14 AM   #21
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
It was in Rolling Stone magazine like a year ago....I'm sure it's online somewhere.
Old 03.27.2006, 01:19 AM   #22
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
I love rolling stone magizine it has the best pictures.
sellouteater is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 02:28 AM   #23
jheii
bad moon rising

jheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's assesjheii kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, my girlfriend's sister majored in anthropology and now she's a fashion stylist. What I'd recommend is this: decide what yr ideal line of work would be (you mentioned screen writer). Do all of the research you can on the subject, try to see what you can contribute to the industry in general. While yr in school for a whatever degree (something that can make you money, which really is any college degree), and spend yr spare time developing skills in something you enjoy. College will teach you how to put up with the bullshit that yr going to have to deal with in everyday life, and how to convince others that yr worth spending money on. At the end of college you'll have a good idea of how to make money doing what you want to do, and whether or not yr capable of doing it. If you can't, you'll at least have a piece of paper that tells fortune 500 companys that yr willing to spend the time figuring out how to function inside a particular system/authority structure, and you'll have a better chance of making 50 thousand dollars or more a year doing something you hate than someone who hasn't gone through college, who will make half that doing something they hate. To sum it up: learn how to enjoy yrself, learn how to make money, and try to unite the two. If you can't, at least you'll have both of them covered.
Old 03.27.2006, 09:37 AM   #24
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks guys, thanks for listening and helping.
Old 03.27.2006, 09:44 AM   #25
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I have no idea what I am going to do when I get out of highschool. I'm a freshman and I have great grades (4.4 GPA, ranked 1 in freshman class)...but that doesn't really mean much to me. Where do I want to go? I don't really know. I love movies, music ,and art, but when I think about a career in any of those, I am afraid that there isn't anything for me. Maybe it is just an anxiety about the future, but whatever...I am also afraid that I maybe I won't make it in that industry. I want to be a screen writer. I got to go to film school. What do I need to do in highschool to get there? Maybe it'd be a waste to go after something I might not be able to do well in. It is a big risk. A waste of education? Money? Maybe I should do something safe. Go to medical school and become a pharmacist. But maybe I won't be happy there. The whole aspect of becoming a working adult, scares me.

Any help for me, for those of you that are adults?

What are your nightmares about becoming an adult, for those of you that are young like me?

travel, travel, travel. thats the advice i can give you.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 09:46 AM   #26
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
I work for a hardware/software company. When I'm not doing the corporate thing I like to listen to music and rock out on my guitar.
Old 03.27.2006, 11:26 AM   #27
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Don't feel that you are obligated to go into a certain profession because you have good SATs, GPA, etc. Do what you want.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 06:37 PM   #28
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Don't feel that you are obligated to go into a certain profession because you have good SATs, GPA, etc. Do what you want.
Yeah that is true. But I don't want to end up in a bad place...not after all of the hardwork I put into school.
Old 03.27.2006, 08:07 PM   #29
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
well if you're just a freshman i wouldn't hurry, you have time to decide.

it is a problem when you can do pretty much anything because it confuses your sense of direction. i mean i had troubles w/ vocational counselors who tested me and told me "yeah, you can do pretty much anything you want". gee thanks...

anyway my advice is to use your highschool years to try out things you like. maybe start a band or work on video or become a science geek, up to you, follow your inclinations.

one thing i'll tell you is that college degrees are not the end of your career, but can help place you around certain people & give you certain skills.

if you say want to be a painter but study accounting, you just won't be in a place that is congenial and supportive.

now, about travel, i've done quite a bit, and it's both useful and overrated. i know people who were so obsessed with traveling they've fucked themselves out of developing roots in a place or having a fulfilling career.

though i would advice anybody to take a year off between high school and college, or between college & work, or maybe take a leave of absence, & bum around the world.

israelis have this system where every high school graduate goes to the army. it's a pain in the ass i guess but it allows people to do all their drinking and fucking while they are there. once they are out they go to college & won't you believe it, they don't waste time at frat parties & finish fast.

where was i going with this? im not sure, i was interrupted, but anyway, don't rush it, follow your affinities, do the best you can & things will work themselves out. too much thinking about these things sometimes interferes with the common sense of one's natural inclinations. find those...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 08:50 PM   #30
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
it is a problem when you can do pretty much anything because it confuses your sense of direction. i mean i had troubles w/ vocational counselors who tested me and told me "yeah, you can do pretty much anything you want". gee thanks...
Yeah, I do horrible with a lot of options. It is hard for me to spend 100 bucks without worrying that it won't be good, or I will want something else. I'm weird... You can imagine how I might be when I am thinking about careers...

I am just gonna force myself to buy some stuff tomorrow though.
Old 03.27.2006, 09:39 PM   #31
trainyard bliss
little trouble girl

trainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard suckatrainyard bliss cold hard sucka
do not "play it safe". don't even consider it. search your interests further and see if you can cultivate a genuine passion for something. if you have that, you will be successful--maybe not commercially, but you'll become a more adept filmmaker or whatever you decide to be.

even if you did fail, it would be a greater waste to never pursue something you're truly interested in.
trainyard bliss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 10:18 AM   #32
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy

thats kinda what i plan to do, i have to get out of this town and country, i feel stuck in a rut.
Alex's Trip your lucky to have the great grades to fall back on, im just as clueless and directionless but i dont have the good grades. so i dont have as many doors open to me as you do, pluss ive narrowed my choices down hugely by leaving school and studying photography at college instead.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 10:22 AM   #33
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
i'm a grade above you, but i'm in the exact same delema
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 10:24 AM   #34
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy

That's my advice too. Just get a job work,work,work get a big pile of money than go onto travelling. A few of my freinds do it and i'll be doing it too once i'm out if this apprentiship i'm doing now.

Europe,north america,south america, australia, asia, africa theres so many places in the world that needs to be seen.

To be stuck in an office job isn't getting anything done.

To be honest, nobody knows what to do with their life job wise.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 10:30 AM   #35
Kim C Not G
bad moon rising

Kim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the rough
I'm a freshman too with good grades though they don't compare with yours haha. I feel the same way and it seems by the looks of it so does alot of other people. I mean atleast you have a little bit of an idea of what you want to do. I have none. NONE. I guess the future is my only one fear. Like when people give you the subject to write about or the question of "What do you want to do when you get older? Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" Its freaks me out to no end. I can't even see myself. BLANK. I feel like I'm gonna die or something haha. The one thing I think about though is the fact that I see nothing, is optimistic. Then there's so many options and I'm not constrained. Also, some kids have to follow their parent's dreams and I'm grateful I'm not put in that position. Advice? I can give you none because I'm trying to figure it out as you are. If I come up with anything useful I'll let you know but it seems like everyones stuck in the same boat here.

P.S The majority of people who go into college and go in for a certain degree, don't usually even use it. We are forced to "pick" our future when really no one ever really knows.
Kim C Not G is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 11:07 AM   #36
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellouteater
the sad thing about being young is that the only reason i know sonic youth is nirvana and i have only been a fan for 3 years

that describes me exactly, and i'm 20.

at any rate, you're not supposed to know what to do with your life by the time you're 15. DO NOT listen to your guidance counselors about such things; my experience is that they're scaremongers who pressure you into thinking you know more than you actually do know about yourself at a precarious age when you're only beginning to come into your own. ultimately the best way to determine such things is thru experience; take a bunch of classes in various disciplines, do some work, travel if you can . . . and most of all talk to older people you trust and who know you well (family, teachers, etc.). you'll have a better idea of who you are and what you want to do with your life in 5 years . . . it may not be fully formed and concrete, but you'll at least know better than you do now.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 11:48 AM   #37
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

...Whoa...old thread...

...thansk again, guys
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 12:24 PM   #38
Grete
the destroyed room

Grete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's assesGrete kicks all y'all's asses
well, next year I'll go to study astronomy! :-)

SONIC YOUTH ITALIA
Grete is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2006, 04:05 PM   #39
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
i'm a junior with not so great grades (like 2.2 or something) and i'm scared shitless that i won't get into the college i want to go to.

i think i'll study something art related at college; music, drawing or something. i've thought about becoming an English teacher.
Old 05.14.2006, 04:30 PM   #40
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know what I'm going to do, and I'm not real worried about it.
I guess it could be stressful, always being expected to know what you want to be, but when faced with that question, shrug it off.
I personally would like to own a used book store, or a music store, or both. I've also thought anthropology is pretty interesting.
All in all, I'm not to worried, I'm sure I can figure something out when the time comes and if not, well, there's always the rails.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth