Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Overuse/misuse of the word 'Eclectic' to describe music tastes
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.29.2008, 02:35 PM   #21
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
I
What I loathe more than the 'eclectic' tag is when people treat anything non-Anglo as "world music" and relegate someone like Oum Kalthoum's work into the "exotic music for rock singers" category (as Diamanda Galas likes to say).

Oum fucking pwns. I heart her.

I have a massive problem with the category of 'world music', but it's a fair shorthand so long as everyone knows that you're talking from a context where most people listen to mostly English language rock/ pop (and variants thereof). I've no idea where I'd posit Oum if pushed, except in the box marked 'double-awesome-core'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth