Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Top 50 Albums Of The 1960's As Picked By You
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.14.2008, 09:17 PM   #21
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
Dead-Air you have a nice list,really encompasses what was going on back then. I agree on the keeping it to one artist but that is so dificult if I go with my favorite records or the ''best'' records, which tend to be quite different. I only kept to one artist for my other lists and think I will try to do the same with this one.

Dead-Air, is that your 100% done list, I mean can I start counting the points....

Far as MMT, well,its got my favorite beatles songs on it, so it was between that or revolver

I should probably wait and see what I've forgotten in the next few days before saying it's final. I edited the '70s one about a dozen times after I posted it. If it's not a problem, just tabulate mine when you do all the rest.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2008, 09:18 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
trout mask replica is # 1.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2008, 09:51 PM   #23
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Hey....can compilations like NUGGETS boxset count ?

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2008, 10:08 PM   #24
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginald
Hey....can compilations like NUGGETS boxset count ?

...no. Nuggets didn't come out until much later. If it had come out in one collection in the 60s we would let it count, but I can't really see how it would be feasible to include it. But there are quite a few good records from bands on that comp. Strawberry Alarmclock is going to get a spot in my list, I think.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2008, 10:43 PM   #25
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOK
...no. Nuggets didn't come out until much later. If it had come out in one collection in the 60s we would let it count, but I can't really see how it would be feasible to include it. But there are quite a few good records from bands on that comp. Strawberry Alarmclock is going to get a spot in my list, I think.

True, but the problem with 90% of the groups on the comp, and the reason the comp was so good, is that they were really singles bands. Even those that had whole albums out, and many of them didn't, had the song that's on Nuggets, maybe one more original and all the standard blues covers. Granted that was even the case for first albums by major groups like the Stones and the Kinks, but those groups did go on to write lots of classic original songs, and did better versions of the blues songs than most (though not all) of the garage bands.
Old 12.15.2008, 01:14 AM   #26
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
1. White Light White Heat/Trout Mask Replica

ill finish the 50 within the next few days, but this is gonna take a lot of rock and jazz sorting out.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2008, 01:53 AM   #27
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
2. Albert Ayler-Spiritual Unity/Sonny Sharrock-Black Woman
3. John Coltrane-Ascension
4. Sun Ra-Atlantis/Art Ensemble of Chicago-A Jackson in Your House
5. Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquet
6. Jimi Hendrix-Axis: As Bold as Love/The Rolling Stones-The Aftermath
7. AMM-AMMusic
8. John Fahey-Death Chants, Breakdowns, and Military Waltzes
9. The Grateful Dead-Anthem of the Sun
10. MC5-Kick out the Jams
11. The Velvet Underground and Nico
12. King Crimson-In the Court of the Crimson King
13. Peter Brotzzman-Machine Gun
14. Blue Cheer-Vincebus Eruptum
15. Cromagnon-Orgasm
17. The Kinks-Are the Village Green Preservation Society
18. The 13th Floor Elevators-Easter Everywhere
19. The Rolling Stones-Let it Bleed/Aftermath
20. John Fahey-Anthem of the Sun
21. Ornette Coleman-Free Jazz
22. Charles Mingus-Tijuana Moods/Ah Um
23. Changes-Fire of Life
24. The Who-Sell Out
25. The Stooges-S/t
26. Cecil Taylor-Nerfetti the Beautiful One has COme
27. Stockhausen-Microphonie 2
28. Miles Davis-In a Silent Way
29. Iannis Xenakis-Polytope
30. Soft Machine-Volume 2
31. The Incredible String Band-The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion
32. The Godz-Contact High wit the Godz
33. La Monte Young-The Well Tuned Piano
34. The Monks-Black Monk Time
35. The Velvet Underground-S/T
36. The Grateful Dead-American Beauty
37. Bob Dylan-Bringing it All Back Home
38. Robbie Basho-The Falconer's Arm
39. Jimi Hendrix and the Experience-Are You Experiened (UK)
40. The Kinks-The Kink Kontroversy/Os Mutantes-S/T
41. The Marzette Watts Ensemble
42. Derek Bailey-Karyobin
43. Sun Ra-The Heliocentric Worlds/The Electric Prunes-Underground
44. Pharoah Sanders and Sonny Sharrock-Tauhid
45. The Beatles-The White Album
46. James Brown-Live at the Apollo
47. Cecil Taylor-Conquistadors
48. Ayler-Live at the Village Vanguard
49. Amon Duul 2-Phallus Dei/Silver Apples-Contact
50. Terry RIley-In C
51. Pearls Before Swine-One Nation Underground
52. Buffalo Springfield-The Last Time Around
53. Tyrannasaurus Rex-Unicorn
54. Jefferson Airplane-Surrealistic Pillow
55. The Rollong Stones-At Thier Satanic Magesties Request
56. Blue Cheer-OutsideInside
57. The Flamin Groovies-Super Snazz
58. The Pretty Things-S.F. Sorrow
59. Sly and the Family Stone-STAND!
Old 12.15.2008, 01:54 AM   #28
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
No particular order mixing all genres:

John Coltrane - Ascension
Os Mutantes - S/T
James Brown - Live At The Apollo Volume 2
Amon Duul - Psychedelic Underground
Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
The United States Of America - S/T
Caetano Veloso - Tropicalia
Dyke and His Blazers - The Funky Broadway
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
Muddy Waters - Electric Mudd
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity
13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
Sun Ra - Atlantis
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
Miles Davis - Silent Way
Silver Apples - Contact
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
The Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out
Charles Mingus - Mingu Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus
Charlie Nothing - The Psychedelic Sax Of..
Robbie Basho - Falconer's Arm Vol.II
The Shaggs - Philosophy Of The World
Art Ensemble Of Chicago - A Jackson In Your House
Rolling Stones - Her Satanic Majesties Request
VU - With Nico
The MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
Rashaan Roland Kirk - Rip,Rigand Panic
The Stooges - S/T
Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
The Monks - Black Monk Time
The Seeds - Future
isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
Them - Them Again
Count Five - Psychotic Reaction
Soft Machine - Volume 1
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
The Sonics - Introducing The Sonics
Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk
The Trashmen - Surfin' Bird
Electric Prunes - Underground
John Fahey - Transfiguration Of Blind Joe Death
Red Krayola - Parable Arable
Amon Duul II - Phallus Dei
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Ultimate Spinach - S/T
John Coltrane - Interstellar Space
Tyrannosaurus Rex - Unicorn
The Kinks - Face To Face
Donovan - Wear Your Love Like Heaven
Hmm...I know I'm missing some, but oh well I think thats 50

dude amazing lists for reals
Old 12.15.2008, 02:32 AM   #29
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
2. Albert Ayler-Spiritual Unity/Sonny Sharrock-Black WOmanP

22. Ornette Coleman-The Shape of Jazz to Vome

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2008, 07:03 AM   #30
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
^Only the Ornette Coleman was 1959.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2008, 08:52 AM   #31
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think Albert Ayler or Sonny Sharrock started their recording careers until well into the 1960s. I don't think fugazifan is much of a jazzfan.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2008, 01:40 PM   #32
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan

ur right on ornette
Old 12.15.2008, 02:50 PM   #33
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
True, but the problem with 90% of the groups on the comp, and the reason the comp was so good, is that they were really singles bands. Even those that had whole albums out, and many of them didn't, had the song that's on Nuggets, maybe one more original and all the standard blues covers. Granted that was even the case for first albums by major groups like the Stones and the Kinks, but those groups did go on to write lots of classic original songs, and did better versions of the blues songs than most (though not all) of the garage bands.

Ah. Here is something that has really changed about our culture that started in the 60s. We're doing a best albums thread about a decade when people weren't concerned with (or rather weren't allowed to be) making album oriented music.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2008, 05:36 PM   #34
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
I don't think Albert Ayler or Sonny Sharrock started their recording careers until well into the 1960s. I don't think fugazifan is much of a jazzfan.
no i just misquoted him, i meant to only quote the ornette coleman...
oopsss

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2008, 06:10 PM   #35
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ah. Here is something that has really changed about our culture that started in the 60s. We're doing a best albums thread about a decade when people weren't concerned with (or rather weren't allowed to be) making album oriented music.

This is my problem with this round - I can't think of a great many whole albums from the 60s that I think are great. Loads of singles, but albums-wise I'm going to be stuck in the 'contemporary classical'/ jazz vein. Unless I just say the Shaggs 49 times with the Monks at number 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2008, 06:33 PM   #36
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
This is my problem with this round - I can't think of a great many whole albums from the 60s that I think are great. Loads of singles, but albums-wise I'm going to be stuck in the 'contemporary classical'/ jazz vein. Unless I just say the Shaggs 49 times with the Monks at number 50.

I'm compiling my final list and I'm having a hard time remembering great soul/funk albums of the sixties. Yet, most of the really great raw underground stuff was and still remains singles only.

Alas, Senor Glice, you of all must remember that The Shaggs were really a 50's boy band, no?
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2008, 12:18 AM   #37
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:

True enough. I was noticing how many of my favorite albums of the '60s came out in 1969, and that plays into it even further. The decade began as a singles one and ended as an album one. The Beatles obviously pushed that direction, though others followed suit. Meanwhile there were so many great garage bands who really could only scrape up the money for a '45 and so put everything into those two 4 minute bursts energy wise that the people with real backing and popularity put into 45 minute LPs.
Old 12.16.2008, 02:20 AM   #38
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
We were talking about this on another thead a while ago. The 1950s was a singles decade, and this went on into the first half of the 1960s.

Many albums of the period were essentially "best ofs", singles compilations. And often compilations with a great deal of second-rate fillers.

Which is why I agree with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
This is my problem with this round - I can't think of a great many whole albums from the 60s that I think are great. Loads of singles, but albums-wise I'm going to be stuck in the 'contemporary classical'/ jazz vein.
Old 12.16.2008, 02:23 AM   #39
Pookie
invito al cielo

And on the subject of albums, this is on Radio 2 tonight.
Old 12.16.2008, 07:55 AM   #40
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
And on the subject of albums, this is on Radio 2 tonight.

Thanks. I'll make a point of tuning into that tonight.

EDIT. I had to dump my list again. this is just far too difficult.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth