Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page A question...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.16.2008, 11:33 PM   #21
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

the trick is to catch yourself at the begining of the self-destructive inner diatribe & just pull the plug on it-- refuse to participate.

Its true..cognitive behavioral therapy 101 . Lately I have been getting better at that . Where I always get stuck at is actually integrating ACTION into my life . I'll halt the negativity , only so far as ignoring it but not really changing my bad habits . If I get into a phase of very good behavior (living healthier , etc ) thats all it is, is a phase , and I dont come out of it with the bad thoughts returning , I just get bored and forget all about it . Its lazyness . Eventually I realize that I trailed off and failed again , and am returned to the beginning .
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 11:43 PM   #22
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
it's more about escaping from the perfectionism/obsessiveness/judgment that we impose upon ourselves.

it all comes from having been socially programmed to earn love-- "if you're good mommy will love you" rather than learning unconditional love. i'm not saying your mom was like that, but the whole society is rigged to make us "earn" the esteem of others-- eventually we internalize the process and we do it to ourselves-- we hate ourselves when we fuck up, we gloat when we have some kind of supreme performance.

so we strive for better grades, great performances, a perfect figure, impeccable taste, whatever-- so that we can feel lovable.

that makes us slaves.

regardless of how great you do, you'll never please everyone-- so the key (i have learned) is to act as your own best friend-- when your best friend fucks up or has a lettuce in their teeth you don't say "hey you pig, you flawed, you faulty, i despise you and i hold you in contempt"-- right? well just like you accept your own best friends warts and all can you do that with yourself? stop judging? i guarantee you, you won't become a slob-- you'll simply free up the energy you waste in self-judging and you'll fall into more positive pursuits.

i swear.

you're right. absolutely.

i'm not going to hold myself in contempt and beat myself up for stupid mistakes i make or little things that i do. i'm human. i've got a right to make errors and everyone does it and worrying about it is a waste of time and causes a lot of harm and little good.
of course there's nothing wrong with correcting mistakes that you make, but it's okay to make them. and it's okay to improve upon yourself.

there's actually something that kurt cobain said that i think would be appropriate to mention...how some parents yell and scream and in some instances become physically abusive towards their children for making mistakes or having accidents, like spilling a drink or breaking something, and how that's a sick psychological trick to play on a child. which it is, because by doing that, they become conditioned to behave the same way towards their children and they beat themselves up for making insignificant errors.
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 11:54 PM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse
Its true..cognitive behavioral therapy 101 . Lately I have been getting better at that . Where I always get stuck at is actually integrating ACTION into my life . I'll halt the negativity , only so far as ignoring it but not really changing my bad habits . If I get into a phase of very good behavior (living healthier , etc ) thats all it is, is a phase , and I dont come out of it with the bad thoughts returning , I just get bored and forget all about it . Its lazyness . Eventually I realize that I trailed off and failed again , and am returned to the beginning .

oh i didnt know that was cognitive therapy-- i kinda landed onto that after reading "shame theory"-- ha ha-- well it's not called like that, it's family systems theory which shows how fucked up behaviors like addiction, violence, abuse are handed down from one generation to the next one-- teaching people self-hate & destructive behaviors-- even when meaning well.

my parents meant well but they were hardasses-- nothing i did was ever good enough so i was never "good". hence i learned to not give a shit & then hate myself for being an underachiever.

wow, i got confessional on the board. but fuckit, it's for a good cause.

so anyway, fast forward to a few years ago, i had that eureka moment when i realized that i was working for the enemy. criticizing and punishing myself mentally for my "flaws"-- as if i could ever solve them all-- and sapping my energy into horrid depressive states.

so i refused to participate & with practice it became easy. i had other techniques/readings/theories/therapies/shit to rely upon so it was a sort of critical mass when shit eventually happened.

but yeah, you gotta keep working on it even when there seems to be no progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
there's actually something that kurt cobain said that i think would be appropriate to mention...how some parents yell and scream and in some instances become physically abusive towards their children for making mistakes or having accidents, like spilling a drink or breaking something, and how that's a sick psychological trick to play on a child. which it is, because by doing that, they become conditioned to behave the same way towards their children and they beat themselves up for making insignificant errors.

that's basically family systems theory. it shows you how you're not an "individual" in the world but learned who you are in the context of a family system-- dysfunctional families breed dysfunctional individuals, etc.

there's a guy by the name of bradshaw who is/was a brilliant shrink & a recover(ing?) alkie who did some PBS shows back in the day and wrote a few books also. he's no william faulkner but he's got great insights on how this shit works and how to extricate oneself from it. i don't agree 100% with what he says (he's religious, i'm not), but anyone can appreciate the useful parts.

anyway my dear interweb bots, i gotta go hang out w/ madame !@#$%!, who smells yummy.

good nights.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2008, 11:58 PM   #24
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i didn;t know there was a name for that theory. your kids will turn out like you etc. well no surprise there.

hi mom! hi dad!
Cantankerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 03:50 AM   #25
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
you know how i know you guys are gay?
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 04:06 AM   #26
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
cause you listen to coldplay

oooooh!!!!!!
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 04:45 AM   #27
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
yeah, i didn;t know there was a name for that theory. your kids will turn out like you etc. well no surprise there.

hi mom! hi dad!

one of my main goals in life is to train myself not to turn into my dad
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 06:10 AM   #28
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
!@#$% says to stop judging, he's probably older and wiser than me- actually not probably, he is, but in my youthful confidence I'll throw in my two cents on the matter.

I still judge and criticise myself on many points and I don't see it as anything bad, it's just what helps me feel good about myself. For instance, when my hair looked bad, I said to myself, "you have a bad hairstyle", and I went and got it cut and then I looked much better and got many compliments from people about it and that made me feel better about it, it gave me confidence.

Thats self-judging that did me a world of good! To contrast the superficiality of that example I'll offer a second; I knew too well that I was too shy and quiet and that I was wasting time being hung up about making a fool of myself- I changed that when I started at Community College and knew that with a fresh start I could reassess myself and reinvent myself to my fullest potential. I took risks, yes, but I'm a lot happier for it. I've made more friends than I ever thought I'd have and they're all lovely people who make me smile.

Somehow i have dected a certain pattern on this post by Danny and some others by him:

You talk about youthful confidence, but then very often you seem to remind others about your youthfulness/age in the content of some what you post. Isn' that the very sign of a certain lack of confidence in yourself, like to say before every sentence ''Hey I can get away with many a mistake, even though I know where I am going wrong, just because I am young, therefore my own silliness is justified, even though it really isn't in this case''?

Don't take that as mean criticism, just a direct observation from someone who is generally confident in himself for real.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 06:22 AM   #29
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyrulesok
Is it more important to accept yourself for who you are, or to try and change the things abour yourself that you don't like?

Recently I've been feeling pretty down about myself (like every other boardie seems to be too - I thought summer was supposed to be a happy time?) and I don't know whether I should just work on being happy with the way I am, or try and change my life (this would have to be a pretty radical change).

When and how do you know that your life is 'wrong' or 'bad' as opposed to just having a lack of confidence in yourself and the things you do?

Sorry just rambling a bit here, but it would be good to get some other opinions, it's really hard to look at your own life objectively.

If you feel down about certain aspects of yourself, be they physical, mental, social etc, probably it's better if you go to the root cause of why they are making you feel disatisfied in the first place.

If there's something physical/mental about yourself that scratches on the surface of your confidence, perhaps it's good to check that it is coming from the way you want to be perceived by others, rather than the way others perceive you.

You get people who spend way too much time worrying about what their friends/family have to say/think about them, without even stopping to think that those criticisms might be coming from people who have a hidden lack of confidence in themselves, yet they manage to disguise it by being more vociferous in their criticism of others.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 07:18 AM   #30
Johnny "Magic Fingers"
children of satan

Johnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's asses
So much good advice here. Everyone's so profound....

I had a squizz at yr profile and according to that, you're just turned 20. So time is definitely on yr side. The only thing I can add is that over time, you develop your sense of self-awareness and you'll be a lot more sure of yourself. Hopefully, this will enable you to deal with the negativity that comes from yourself and the world around you.

Overall, be happy with who are. And this doesn't mean avoiding change - change is good. It's natural. It might be something superficial like getting a new look or maybe something deeper... I dunno.

But deep down, know that you are a good person who is intelligent, caring and honest (That doesn't mean you can't lie - it just means not being fake). Them's the foundations of something to build on - I believe.

And yeah - go out with your friends and let yr hair down, fer chrissakes!!
Johnny "Magic Fingers" is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 07:35 AM   #31
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i'm not going to hold myself in contempt and beat myself up for stupid mistakes i make or little things that i do. i'm human. i've got a right to make errors and everyone does it and worrying about it is a waste of time and causes a lot of harm and little good.
of course there's nothing wrong with correcting mistakes that you make, but it's okay to make them. and it's okay to improve upon yourself.

That is true. The only hard thing (for me, personally) is to realise that fact truly for myself. I mean, I can talk about that and all, but it doesn't seem to work - I always keep judging myself, assessing every single step I take and it's killing me quite much.
It's ironic, but sometimes one need a shrink to learn how not to give a fuck.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 07:44 AM   #32
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
one of my main goals in life is to train myself not to turn into my dad
fortunately i don't think i have to. he's the treasurer of a company and goes to meetings and sits behind a desk all day.

no thanks.
Old 06.17.2008, 08:34 AM   #33
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
fortunately i don't think i have to. he's the treasurer of a company and goes to meetings and sits behind a desk all day.

no thanks.

i meant in the way he deals with and treats other people, not so much following in his footsteps careerwise. it's too late for that too happen anyway, not that i would want it to.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 09:25 AM   #34
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i meant in the way he deals with and treats other people, not so much following in his footsteps careerwise. it's too late for that too happen anyway, not that i would want it to.
well that's not exactly what i was getting at. i was getting at the fact that he's boring and soulless and does the same thing every day and is completely consumed by his work and not happy going to work. he collects state quarters. the only thing he does for entertainment is watch golf or play golf. he's a perfectly decent human being though, even if he was almost entirely absent for most of my life.
Old 06.17.2008, 12:55 PM   #35
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Somehow i have dected a certain pattern on this post by Danny and some others by him:

You talk about youthful confidence, but then very often you seem to remind others about your youthfulness/age in the content of some what you post. Isn' that the very sign of a certain lack of confidence in yourself, like to say before every sentence ''Hey I can get away with many a mistake, even though I know where I am going wrong, just because I am young, therefore my own silliness is justified, even though it really isn't in this case''?

Don't take that as mean criticism, just a direct observation from someone who is generally confident in himself for real.

I know what you mean. I don't really necessarily mean all of that "I'm young and inexperienced" malarkey- there are some things I'm terribly ignorant about and I'll be the first to admit that, but also there are other things I understand fully, I just don't want to be smug and twattish about it. Think of those remarks of mine as little disclaimers to ward off any complaining old shits like Atari.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 01:01 PM   #36
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
I know what you mean. I don't really necessarily mean all of that "I'm young and inexperienced" malarkey- there are some things I'm terribly ignorant about and I'll be the first to admit that, but also there are other things I understand fully, I just don't want to be smug and twattish about it. Think of those remarks of mine as little disclaimers to ward off any complaining old shits like Atari.

Absolutely. I took certain posts of yours as an example simply because they are well tought-out and more mature than a lot of older posters on here, therefore extra kudos to you for being like that at your age.

LONG LIVE DANNY! HOORAY!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 01:11 PM   #37
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Woo hoo!

Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2008, 01:41 PM   #38
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the real true value of humanity, of being human, is the never ending endeavor for self-betterment, in every respect.
there are things we accept, but that does not mean you sghould not actively seek to "fix" them, or better them. acceptance is not the same thing as giving up.
Old 06.17.2008, 01:49 PM   #39
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, go to a bookstore and watch all the people circling the self-help section.
Old 06.17.2008, 01:50 PM   #40
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Yeah, go to a bookstore and watch all the people circling the self-help section.

That is funny. I have money to spend on therapy. Who needs self-help books.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth