Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Was Andy Warhol racist?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Andy Warhol Poll
Yes 3 12.50%
No 10 41.67%
Can't tell 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05.19.2008, 05:16 AM   #21
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
No. He was gay.

And it's a known fact that homosexuals aren't racist.

Not true I'm afraid, madame Keg - me and a mate of mine were at a pub in Old Compton Street (Soho's Homo Street supreme), and we were muttering disgustedly at various gay types wearing fascist T-shirts and sporting neo-fascist tattoos - stupid fucking twats. Also, notorious Combat-88 member Gary Crane was secretly into the gay scene in a big way, stewarding Gay Pride rallies and the like (he died of Aids in the early 90's). And if you want to look further into the field of "homosexuals with dubious fascist tendencies", you need look no further than some of the witterings of Death In June's Douglas Pearce.
Old 05.19.2008, 05:28 AM   #22
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Not true I'm afraid, madame Keg - me and a mate of mine were at a pub in Old Compton Street (Soho's Homo Street supreme), and we were muttering disgustedly at various gay types wearing fascist T-shirts and sporting neo-fascist tattoos - stupid fucking twats. Also, notorious Combat-88 member Gary Crane was secretly into the gay scene in a big way, stewarding Gay Pride rallies and the like (he died of Aids in the early 90's). And if you want to look further into the field of "homosexuals with dubious fascist tendencies", you need look no further than some of the witterings of Death In June's Douglas Pearce.

And that's just to start with.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 05:45 AM   #23
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i am pretty sure that he wasnt racist.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 06:17 AM   #24
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
warhol even looks a bit like hitler, if didn't bleach his hair and had a little 'tache you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 06:18 AM   #25
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
And if you want to look further into the field of "homosexuals with dubious fascist tendencies", you need look no further than some of the witterings of Death In June's Douglas Pearce.

that whole early 80s scene was full of neo-nazi flirtations, people were so dumb back then
Old 05.19.2008, 06:27 AM   #26
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
warhol even looks a bit like hitler, if didn't bleach his hair and had a little 'tache you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart
On the Victor Bockris's biography it says that when he lost weight in the mid-60's he started dressing like an SS soldier. The plot thickens........
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 07:54 AM   #27
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

i was just reading a website that says david tibet had ties to the far right
Old 05.19.2008, 08:20 AM   #28
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i was just reading a website that says david tibet had ties to the far right

Mr T&B - was that on the Stewart Home site by any chance?
Old 05.19.2008, 08:21 AM   #29
sarramkrop

Anyone in Death In June and Sol Invictus probably, but David Tibet, of all people?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 08:21 AM   #30
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Mr T&B - was that on the Stewart Home site by any chance?

yes, is he a nutter?
Old 05.19.2008, 08:31 AM   #31
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Yes, just a little bit. He's made a load of daft accusations about various people being fascists. Tibet's about as fascist as I am the King of Belgium. He's tried to paste various Whitehouse members as being pro-fascist, which is a joke and a half. Having said that, he did manage to embarrass Tony Wakeford about his National Front membership (which got him canned from Death In June), so fair play to him on that. That aside, Mister Home should stick to art pranks and writing wildly homoerotic fiction.
Old 05.19.2008, 08:56 AM   #32
sarramkrop

Didn't David Tibet also have something to do with the fact that Death In June are largely ignored on the ''England's Hidden Reverse'' book by David Keenan? I remember reading a letter about it on The Wire a while ago.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 09:01 AM   #33
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Didn't David Tibet also have something to do with the fact that Death In June are largely ignored on the ''England's Hidden Reverse'' book by David Keenan? I remember reading a letter about it on The Wire a while ago.

i think it was that death in june didn't respond to david keenan's request to interview them, and that certain things about DiJ had to be taken out of the book for libel reasons.
Old 05.19.2008, 09:35 AM   #34
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I don't know and I don't think that I really care enough, just curious.

Anyway, I have a book that that has a section that documents with words and pictures a trip of Warhola to the Bronx. All these black kids were being friendly to him and he was terrorized and wouldn't want to have anything to do with black people in the area.

I've also always found it odd that even though NYC certainly didn't have a shortage of gay black artists/activists in the 60's, the factory virtually had no blacks visiting it or forging artistic alliances in it.

Who knows, maybe he wasn't a racist at all.

I think I remember reading the same account years ago.
Was he overtly racist? No, but he obviously preferred white hustler types to other poor people who he wasn't too keen on in general.

Although, he obviously loved his mother, a poor person. He never did much for his brothers as far as I know.

Quote:
On the Victor Bockris's biography it says that when he lost weight in the mid-60's he started dressing like an SS soldier. The plot thickens........

Good thing Henry Geldzahler never saw him in the outfit then.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 09:40 AM   #35
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I don't know and I don't think that I really care enough, just curious.

Anyway, I have a book that that has a section that documents with words and pictures a trip of Warhola to the Bronx. All these black kids were being friendly to him and he was terrorized and wouldn't want to have anything to do with black people in the area.

I've also always found it odd that even though NYC certainly didn't have a shortage of gay black artists/activists in the 60's, the factory virtually had no blacks visiting it or forging artistic alliances in it.

Who knows, maybe he wasn't a racist at all.

I vaguely remember reading the same account.

White hustler types were just culturally more likely to be among his circle, but, in general, Andy wasn't too keen on poor people. It's likely he was extemely nervous to be in that neighboorhood.

Although once very impoverished himself, he had managed against the odds to elevate his social status via hard work and moxie. He cared, as all know, immensely for his mother, but, as far as I know, never did much of anything for his siblings while alive.

Quote:

It's a good thing Henry Geldzahler never saw him in the outfit then.
Old 05.19.2008, 09:41 AM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

i think you missed the irony in her post, but still, interesting picture you paint in yours.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 09:42 AM   #37
sarramkrop

Well, he was also a close friend and collaborator of Jonas Mekas. I was generally wondering about the lack of blacks at The Factory, nothing to be blown out of proportions. I'd say the vast majority of people at The Factory were most certainly not who you'd call a racist.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 09:52 AM   #38
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well, he was also a close friend and collaborator of Jonas Mekas. I was generally wondering about the lack of blacks at The Factory, nothing to be blown out of proportions. I'd say the vast majority of people at The Factory were most certainly not who you'd call a racist.

It's also a fairly safe bet that most Factory denizens were extremely self-centered and more than a little delusional. Disdain for "outsiders" just flows naturally from that. Obviously, a degree of paranoia was present due to the drug use as well.

In turn, the people at The Factory were probably viewed as freaks by many blacks.

The Sixties saw the less-than-smooth birth of the Civil Rights Movement and the late sixties the rise of the Black Panthers. Andy may have avoided blacks for that reason. He didn't see violence as a vehicle for social change.
Old 05.19.2008, 09:58 AM   #39
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I vaguely remember reading the same account.

White hustler types were just culturally more likely to be among his circle, but, in general, Andy wasn't too keen on poor people. It's likely he was extemely nervous to be in that neighboorhood.

Although once very impoverished himself, he had managed against the odds to elevate his social status via hard work and moxie. He cared, as all know, immensely for his mother, but, as far as I know, never did much of anything for his siblings while alive.

Did he not give his nephew some work, at one point? I'd count that as someone who somehow is doing something for his siblings. He also kept in touch with them sporadically. Maybe he just loved them without feeling like they had anything in common, which I find more likely.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2008, 10:11 AM   #40
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The story I heard about him giving a painting to his nephew was that, while I think he eventually did, he was really reluctant to do so. At least that's the nephew's account.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth