Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Just Read A Clockwork Orange
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.27.2007, 04:37 PM   #21
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
gack-- you're gonna get old before your time!

please tell me at least you're having fun this summer??
Who said I wasn't enjoying myself? I liked AP Euro, and Speech tournaments are a lot of fun.

I am having fun this summer though. My parents kept telling me to get a job, but I told them I wanted to enjoy summer, because the next school year is going to be much harder than last year.
Old 07.27.2007, 04:43 PM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Catcher In The Rye is a book that hits home for self-absorbed, self-obsessed pessimist, egotistical, "Bo-hoooo noone understands me and everyone is out to ruin my life and I am the only one whose feelings REALLY matter" teenage boys.

I got into a huge shouting argument with my brother who saw the book as being about a young boy who life has screwed (to put his argument simply) , while I saw it as all resulting from the idiot protagonist's own bullshit (to put my argument simply).

both views are probably correct, but either way I'd punch that fucker in the neck if I ever had to deal with him for more than ten minutes.
Old 07.27.2007, 06:13 PM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
you got into a huge shouting match over a book?....

at least it wasn't the BIBLE, i guess..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2007, 07:29 PM   #24
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I think my personal issue with the droog-speak is that english is my second language, spanish being first, and the droog stuff is completely foreign to me, they may as welll be speaking german throughout the book, you know?
I just cannot decipher it I guess.

But part of the point of the point of the droog speak was to kind of hide and abstract the violent actions.

That said, I liked the book.

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2007, 07:34 PM   #25
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
Who said I wasn't enjoying myself? I liked AP Euro, and Speech tournaments are a lot of fun.

I am having fun this summer though. My parents kept telling me to get a job, but I told them I wanted to enjoy summer, because the next school year is going to be much harder than last year.

yeah yeah i get the geeky pleasures of knowledge as well, i'm just saying, every once in a while you have to go down to the beach, hang out, do a little body surfing, stop thinking, and make out with some salty-tasting girl/boy and laugh at idiot jokes without thinking about your grades.

man, i had this friend in college, i was a student he was a young professor, the guy had studied all his life & knew little about everything else & was miserable, and had this teenage crush on this woman who wouldn't give him the time of day for several reasons, but the fact was that this guy, fucking brilliant as he was, didn't know how to live.

dont let that happen to you-- just sayin'..
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2007, 08:16 PM   #26
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah yeah i get the geeky pleasures of knowledge as well, i'm just saying, every once in a while you have to go down to the beach, hang out, do a little body surfing, stop thinking, and make out with some salty-tasting girl/boy and laugh at idiot jokes without thinking about your grades.

man, i had this friend in college, i was a student he was a young professor, the guy had studied all his life & knew little about everything else & was miserable, and had this teenage crush on this woman who wouldn't give him the time of day for several reasons, but the fact was that this guy, fucking brilliant as he was, didn't know how to live.

dont let that happen to you-- just sayin'..
Aw, thanks for the advice.

I don't think that'll happen to me. A lot of people think I work really hard, but the truth is (and I don't usually tell people cause it makes them mad) that I hardly put any effort into my school work. Sure I do it, and I do it well but that is about it. For that AP test, I took some review notes, looked them over once or twice a few days before the test, answered review questions that my friends were asking (constantly and annoyingly) and I did real well on the test. I had a friend who asked if he could have my notes, and he studied them during lunch, and then studied other people's notes during lunch. He got a 5 on test. He's a cool guy, but he probably will be the guy you mentioned.

I may not be the most lively guy in the world, but I think I'll be okay. The concern is appreciated though.
Old 07.28.2007, 02:43 PM   #27
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Dan Speaks
How dare you disrespect Catcher in the Rye!

Anyway, are we all in agreement that the last chapter should have been left out?

I do agree that the last chapter should have been left out.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2007, 07:14 PM   #28
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i haven't read it since high school, which was about five years ago, but i can't really see it holding up that well as i've gotten older.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2007, 11:02 PM   #29
total-trash
children of satan

total-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
even worse!!!
That is an even BETTER excuse for not understanding it!

not being comfortable with english is irrelevant to the droog talk. so it's not a better excuse.
total-trash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2007, 10:40 AM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
you got into a huge shouting match over a book?....

at least it wasn't the BIBLE, i guess..

I am a NERD
Old 07.30.2007, 12:18 PM   #31
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
I confess I have never read the book but I really enjoyed the film, droog speak et al
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2007, 12:57 PM   #32
mellonmellow
little trouble girl

mellonmellow kicks all y'all's assesmellonmellow kicks all y'all's assesmellonmellow kicks all y'all's assesmellonmellow kicks all y'all's assesmellonmellow kicks all y'all's assesmellonmellow kicks all y'all's assesmellonmellow kicks all y'all's assesmellonmellow kicks all y'all's assesmellonmellow kicks all y'all's assesmellonmellow kicks all y'all's assesmellonmellow kicks all y'all's asses
Probably my favorite book of all time. Droog-speak...
Old 07.30.2007, 12:59 PM   #33
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonmellow
Probably my favorite book of all time. Droog-speak...

Damn, now I will have to read it
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2007, 11:46 PM   #34
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
For those who can't get over the droog-talk here is the list of words.

http://soomka.com/nadsat.html
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2007, 09:29 AM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I've read at least 200 better books.
I find it (shall I use that most overused of terms?) overrated.
Old 07.31.2007, 10:08 AM   #36
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
The ting that disapoints me is how kids talk about how it's an awesome book but when you mention Burgess they're like who the fuck is that? If your a real fan of his work then you can appreciate it more.
Beard's Roman Women was also a good book. Very different from a clockwork though.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2007, 10:18 AM   #37
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Anthony Burgess was an astonishing writer. And INCREDIBLY prolific.

I would heartily recommend Byrne, which was one of his last books, and written entirely in verse (an epic poem if you will). Made me almost piss myself in places, it's so funny.

Incidentally, Burgess wrote the subtitles for the film Cyrano de Bergerac, translating the French verse into English verse. And he did numerous other things which I won't go into now.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth