Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sunburned Hand... Fire Escape
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.30.2008, 12:44 AM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, they're pretty good, and I don't want this to turn into a Wolf Eyes discussion, just making a note about bands with like a 100+ releases after 11 years together.

What can I say? We're all piled high on truth mountain. The last peak in clarity's chain.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 01:16 AM   #22
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
Eh, Sunburned Hand of the Man appeals to me in a way few other bands do. I buy all their stuff I can get my hands on and I like the vast majority of it.

I'm pretty sure I'm not pretending to like anything.
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 01:36 AM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Well, good. And I'm glad this album appeals to you.

Old 04.30.2008, 01:41 AM   #24
hat and bread
children of satan

hat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asseshat and bread kicks all y'all's asses
Actually Fire Escape really isn't one of my favorites at all. Not bad, but not particularly good either. I still think the vast majority of their music is worth my time, though.
hat and bread is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 01:48 AM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I'm definitely going to check out their other stuff very soon.

In the mean time, this thread needs a picture of Sherilyn Fenn:

Old 04.30.2008, 03:35 AM   #26
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
They're related, don't be a dick about it.

so what?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 03:37 AM   #27
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by o'connor
and i wrote damn near word for word what you just did earlier in the thread by the way.

But I wrote it better than you did. Ok?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 06:15 AM   #28
unlurker
little trouble girl

unlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's assesunlurker kicks all y'all's asses
hey adam,

it would make you seem more intelligent and less like a pretentious dick if you stopped saying that people only pretend to like this music.

i don't give a shit one way or the other if you like it or not. and i can surely say that the rest of the group doesn't care if you (or anyone else) like it or not.

it's improv, and with it comes all the pitfalls and mistakes of a music that doesn't fit comfortably into everyone's ears.

but to classify everyone who is into this as somehow duped, you only make yourself look self aggrandizing and less that intelligent.

love,
paul
unlurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 07:00 AM   #29
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I didn't say everyone who liked it pretended to like it.

My problem is mainly with critics/reviewers... if I hear a lot about an album, listen to it, and don't like it.. I'll look back at reviews that an album got, to see if there was something I have missed when listening. Yet the weird thing is, EVERY SINGLE REVIEW of this album that I've read has said it's a work of genius... which I don't believe at all, I don't even think 10 people in the world would think it's genius, so I get this vibe that people think they have to like it or are scared to not like it. It's like a lot of things on this message board -- people afraid to talk shit about Thurston or something. It's ridiculous. You can be critical of bands, even ones you like. Maybe I'm just too honest.

If you or someone else honestly likes this shit, more power to you. I've obviously missed the boat. But to my ears and my musical education, this shit just sounds like nothing -- literally, NOTHING. But, again, even if you're releasing nothing, if you release enough nothing and for a long time, people will think it's something. But, again, I'm not going to diss this whole band's output because I haven't heard it! All I know is, if it's anything like this, it's awful bullshit.

To be continued.

Old 04.30.2008, 07:25 AM   #30
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
sunburned blow very hot and cold with me but fire escape is pretty good.
Old 04.30.2008, 07:31 AM   #31
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
I dig Z (the first half before it devolves into electronic mush) and I LOVE the Unmuzzled Ox cassette they did with Paul Flaherty.
Old 04.30.2008, 10:02 AM   #33
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i have yet to hear this one but i dont like fourtet much so i probably wont.
i have sunburned's s\t which has some really great moments. and i have heard jaybird and headress, both of which i need to listen to more. i really like the new weird america scene, except that a lot of the great bands are not even american.
NNCK has some really brilliant albums, i like em when they are folkier and less psycodelic, my two favorite albums of theirs are sticks and stones and the one with embyro.
Kemialliset Ystävät are finnish, i think, and are amazing.
mv and ee are great,
that british band is amazing, the one trhat is sunburned's sister band. cant think of their name-some kind of ensemble.
in other words the whole free\k folk thing is really great and interesting, but like with every genre there is crap and there is not crap

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 10:39 AM   #34
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Sunburned in my mind can either be great, or mindless shit. I have yet to hear Fire Escape, but I my favorite albums are Jaybird, No Magic Man, A Taste of Never and Wildanimal. If you are going to listen to other Sunburned releases, I'd recommend on of these. I've yet to hear Headdress myself too though.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 11:33 AM   #35
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
hey...bloodyminded! love the avatar whorefrost, have you seen them live?

I have indeed, fantastic show which resulted in everyone getting thrown out the venue and the next scheduled band (Family Battle Snake) not getting to play.. Bloodyminded rule
Old 04.30.2008, 01:32 PM   #36
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
sherilyn fenn, emmmm audrey from twin peaks, i came in my pants when she tied that cherry stem with her tongue.

david lynch loves beautiful women in his movies.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 04:34 PM   #37
MaxBeta
empty page

MaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's asses
haven't heard it but i have a bad feeling about it.
MaxBeta is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 11:28 PM   #38
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
I have indeed, fantastic show which resulted in everyone getting thrown out the venue and the next scheduled band (Family Battle Snake) not getting to play.. Bloodyminded rule

ohh man!!! makes me want to see them again!

i saw them play here in an internet café turned goth disco at night to like 10 fans and several terrified patrons wanting to dance to nine inch nails and korn remixes. fucking amazing!
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 07:07 AM   #39
whorefrost
invito al cielo

I saw them in a Polish pub in Edinburgh so there was some similar bemusement from the indiginous patrons. Sorry for sort of hijacking yr Sunburned thread dudes.

Back on topic: has anyone made it through the four sides of Wedlock? Is it worth it?
Old 05.01.2008, 10:11 AM   #40
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i'm surprised that nobody knows earth do eagles do...well, actually i'm not that surprised.

it's like someone switched their weed and gave them speed instead.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth