Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Shortwave Radio
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.20.2007, 09:06 PM   #301
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
This thread seems to be between hip pirest and ?????????? ????
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2007, 03:39 PM   #302
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Interesting article on Пятхъдесят Шест's favourite station, Radio Canada International:

A Canadian company is changing the way some of the world's top animators make their films. And it's run by three immigrants from different parts of the world.

You can listen to it here: http://www.rcinet.ca/rci/en/chroniques4/35823.shtml

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 06:27 PM   #303
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Interesting article on Пятхъдесят Шест's favourite station, Radio Canada International:

A Canadian company is changing the way some of the world's top animators make their films. And it's run by three immigrants from different parts of the world.

You can listen to it here: http://www.rcinet.ca/rci/en/chroniques4/35823.shtml

Good to see a bump!! It has been a while.

RCI is another reason to love thy neighbor.

I'm having a listen now.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 03:59 AM   #304
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Radio Romania International have moved their website to this address: http://www.rri.ro/index.shtml?lang=1. The positive side of this is that it doesn't take an age to load the page now.

Old 04.28.2007, 02:28 PM   #305
ithinkimissyou
stalker

ithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's assesithinkimissyou kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome, I've never seen this thread before. Good bumpage.

I do listen, quite a bit. For some reason I pick up VoR's America feed better than their Europe one (I'm in Ireland). Shortwave has a wonderful sound.. I've only read a little bit about DRM, but really dislike the idea.

Every so often I tune in the Lincolnshire Poacher as well, its sobering thinking that just possibly, some person is in deep cover listening to the very same transmission and deriving instructions from it.
Old 04.28.2007, 03:08 PM   #306
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses
There's a radio which belongs to somebody else that used to play a burst of static every 5 seconds on 1450 - 1500 KHZ on AM, it was quite relaxing so I had it going sometimes when doing work. One time when listening to it it changed suddenly and started making really loud bursts of static and white noise, and then started playing the noise in rhythms. It made the occasional high pitch 'woop' and whine. I recorded some of it so I could possibly upload it sometime.

And a classic listen can be had on LW 148. Regular series of beeps.
Old 04.28.2007, 05:13 PM   #307
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimissyou
Awesome, I've never seen this thread before. Good bumpage.

I do listen, quite a bit. For some reason I pick up VoR's America feed better than their Europe one (I'm in Ireland). Shortwave has a wonderful sound.. I've only read a little bit about DRM, but really dislike the idea.

I'm in England; I usually pick up VoR's broadcasts at around 6pm - 7pm. I've never noticed if they are intended for the US, I have to admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimissyou
Every so often I tune in the Lincolnshire Poacher as well, its sobering thinking that just possibly, some person is in deep cover listening to the very same transmission and deriving instructions from it.

I wonder if I may be so bold as to advertise a thread of my own: http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=120

Old 04.28.2007, 05:16 PM   #308
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmychild
There's a radio which belongs to somebody else that used to play a burst of static every 5 seconds on 1450 - 1500 KHZ on AM, it was quite relaxing so I had it going sometimes when doing work. One time when listening to it it changed suddenly and started making really loud bursts of static and white noise, and then started playing the noise in rhythms. It made the occasional high pitch 'woop' and whine. I recorded some of it so I could possibly upload it sometime.

And a classic listen can be had on LW 148. Regular series of beeps.

I've just checked; interesting beeps indeed. You should upload any radio anaomalies you have. I often mention the one at 4.62Mhz on the 60m band.

I'm currently listening to the world broadcast from Indian radio, at approx 7.37 on the 31m band.

Old 04.28.2007, 07:31 PM   #309
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Ok, show me how much of a nerd you are...

Anyone else listen to shortwave radio?

Totally awesome, crazy, bizarre, weird, fucked up shit is heard on the shortwaves.
Yeah! It's great getting some professional walkie talkies and interrupting police radios, truck radios, and other retards with walkie talkies. One time we (friends and I) encountered this really explicit phone conversation (somehow) and another time we found a racist pirate radio station, that seemed to be on almost all day. At camp in 7th grade, we took two walkie talkies, and pissed off all the truck drivers that went by, even the teachers were joining in. We'd basically find their station, then ask for their position, and then ask for another kind of position if you get me. Then they'd go "Ahh fucking kids go fuck yourselves" and stuff, and we'd reply "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Fuuuuuck youuuuuuuu!" in a mock truckie voice.

Good times, assuming this is what you mean by shortwave radio.
Old 04.30.2007, 01:19 PM   #310
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

When tuning, do other people hear a snatch of something and mistakenly think they've found a station in a language they know, only to be completely wong?

There seems to be no-one broadcasting in English right now, but I heard a few words at one frequency and thought I heard the presenter say 'in the kitchen', but it was someone talking in Serbo-Croat or something similar. Happens quite often.

Old 04.30.2007, 06:17 PM   #311
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
When tuning, do other people hear a snatch of something and mistakenly think they've found a station in a language they know, only to be completely wong?

There seems to be no-one broadcasting in English right now, but I heard a few words at one frequency and thought I heard the presenter say 'in the kitchen', but it was someone talking in Serbo-Croat or something similar. Happens quite often.

Sort of. More so I think I know the language I'm hearing, just by the sound and dialect, but often it turns out to be something completely different. Mistaking Greek for an Arabesque tongue.

Could it also be another station seeping in? Perhaps you did hear "in the kitchen", only from another station? Either way, I'm now curious exactly what is going on in the kitchen.
Old 05.01.2007, 01:17 PM   #312
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

No, it's definitely just an aural illusion; me hearing a word or two as I scan, and of course different languages are bound to have similar-sounding words or parts of phrases that mean something different. It's just strange how often I hear a split-second of something and think it's in English.

Old 05.30.2007, 04:50 PM   #313
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Bad news for some in Romania:

Several people have died following the extreme weather that affected Romania this week. While the south and east of the country have been hit by scorching temperatures and drought during May, other regions have been ravaged by storms and floods. The crops and orchards that escaped the drought have been hit by hail-storms, making the situation even worse for agriculture. Wind storms have left tens of localities without electricity, destroyed roofs, uprooted trees and damages cars. Weather forecasts warn that the inclement weather will last until the end of the week.

Good news for Dinamo Bucherest:

The football team Dinamo Bucharest has dominated the 2006-2007 season of the first Romanian football league, that has come to an end this week. Dinamo have ended the championship 6 points ahead of the team following them in second place: Steaua Bucharest. The two teams from Bucharest will enter the Champions League preliminaries – Steaua being the top team in the second round and Dinamo in the last preliminary round. CFR Cluj, an ambitious team, was ranked third, allowing for its participation in the UEFA Cup for the first time.

Old 05.30.2007, 04:51 PM   #314
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I'm currently listening to Radio Sweden, who are concerned about neglect and lack of opportunities for different social groups.

Old 05.30.2007, 06:09 PM   #315
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

I just looked at my shortwave the other night, and thought about how its been a while since I've had a listen.

I should have a scan tonight.
Old 05.30.2007, 06:12 PM   #316
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Tell us about the most interesting thing you hear.

Old 05.31.2007, 02:50 PM   #317
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

News relevence:

Radio ‘Screams’ Forecast Dangerous Solar Storms

Jeanna Bryner
Staff Writer
SPACE.com Tue May 29, 9:15 PM ET

HONOLULU -- Speedy solar storms carrying a billion tons of charged gas through space let out a thunderous scream before they unleash satellite-stopping radiation storms that slam into Earth's magnetic field.

A team of astronomers presented this finding here today at a meeting of the American Astronomical Society, one that could give astronauts and engineers forewarning of a type of coronal mass ejection (CME) capable of showering Earth, spacecraft and space travelers with damaging radiation.

Coronal mass ejections are violent solar eruptions that carry massive amounts of electrically charged gas called plasma from the Sun's atmosphere. Once unleashed, these plasma clouds race away from the Sun at up to a million miles per hour.

Depending on the orientation of the associated magnetic fields, Earth-ward eruptions can generate magnetic storms that can flick a giant circuit breaker of sorts on Earth, causing widespread power outages.

Radio showers

Some coronal mass ejections also bring intense radiation storms that can disable satellites or cause cancer in unprotected astronauts.

Here's how these radiation "snowstorms" form: As a CME plows through space it bumps into the charged particles constantly blown from the Sun called the solar wind, resulting in a shock wave. If the shock is powerful enough, it accelerates particles in the solar wind to high speeds capable of triggering radiation storms.

"Some CMEs produce radiation storms, and some don't, or at least the level of radiation is significantly lower," said lead researcher Natchimuthuk Gopalswamy of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

For instance, the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) has observed more than 10,000 CMEs over the past 10 years, Gopalswamy said, and only about 1 to 2 percent of them produce these particle storms.

"The trick is to identify the ones that can produce dangerous radiation, so we can warn astronauts and satellite operators," Gopalswamy said.

Radio screams

Gopalswamy and his team may have found a way to do just that. Like the calm before a storm (but louder), they found that CMEs with shocks capable of unleashing radio storms are preceded by "screams" in radio waves as they barrel through the solar wind.

They analyzed nearly 500 large coronal mass ejections, finding that while the so-called radio-loud CMEs (those that were preceded by "screams") led to radiation storms, none of the more than 150 radio-quiet CMEs were followed by such storms.

Since radio waves travel at the speed of light, the screams could give forewarning of an impending radio, or radiation, storm.

"We can use a CME's radio noise to give warning that it is generating a radiation storm that will hit us soon," Gopalswamy said. "This will give astronauts and satellite operators anywhere between a few tens of minutes to a couple hours to prepare, depending on how fast the particles are moving."

The team also noticed that most of the radio-loud CMEs came from the Sun's equator, a place known as an active region for solar flares, while most of the radio-quiet CMEs sprouted from the Sun's edges.

Old 06.04.2007, 05:51 PM   #318
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

As usual, it's all happening in Romania:

THE TRANSYLVANIA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL HAS STARTED (4.06.2007)

Inaugurated in Cluj central Romania a couple of days ago , starting Monday, the International Film Festival Transilvania is also underway in another town in Transilvania , Sibiu which is this year a European capital of culture. In Cluj the event opened with the film “Four months , three weeks and two days “ of young Romanian director Cristian Mungiu, who two days before had won the Palme d’Or in the Cannes International Film Festival with the first Romanian long reel that had ever got such a prize. The movie is about a student who has to make an abortion during the communist dictatorship when such a deed was illegal and punished with time in jail. Listen now to what the director of the movie, Cristian Mungiu told us:

“I made a film about responsibility and about making decisions, about human relationships between people living in a specific time period; in no case is this movie a chronicle of the respective epoch. This movie is based on a real story, one that goes back to my early youth, I was 20 back then and whose moral meaning should go beyond the historical context of the period in which it is placed , so that the film be understood by everybody”.

160 films from 39 countries will be presented in the festival but in the competition there are only 12, Romania being represented by Christian Mungiu’s movie. In 2002, at the first edition of the festival, Mungiu won the Transylvania Award with his first long reel “Occident”. Another Romanian movie that won the Un certain Regard Award in Cannes this year, namely California Dreamin’ of late Cristian Nemescu will be presented in Sibiu on Tuesday. American actor and film star Armand Asante who is playing one of the leading parts in the movie will be present in Sibiu at the Transilvania International Film Festival. Along the other Romanian actors playing in California Dreamin’, Assante will meet press people and movie lovers in this year European capital of culture.

As we cannot cover here all the films in the festival, we simply picked another one, a world premiere called “I really hate my job”, a British production starring two Romanian actresses: Oana Pellea in her first comedy part and Alexandra Maria Lara who lives in Germany. The movie is a comic portrait of five women working in a London restaurant who during one night are facing a psychic problem, several nervous breakdowns and more orders than they can handle. Everything is complicated by the fact that a cinema star is expected to come to the restaurant and possibly change the destiny of the protagonists. The award ceremony of the Transylvania International Film Festival will take place on Saturday, June the 9th.

Old 06.04.2007, 05:56 PM   #319
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Almost (almost) as exciting as the Pyongyang Film Festival.

Nyet to Micheal Moore, yet North Korea Film Festival Goes International
Old 06.04.2007, 06:03 PM   #320
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I wonder if those international films will genuinely be shown to the public. I suspect only officials and dignitaries will be present (like that Rolling Stones gig in China).

131415 16 1718 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth