Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page but is it really art? i mean, come on...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.06.2010, 01:13 PM   #221
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
My fave Abs-Exp painter is Motherwell
Old 01.06.2010, 01:17 PM   #222
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
Anyway, some Pollock:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
excuse me but have you ever seen a painting by Pollock for realz like in a museum n' shit?

i was going to address this after skuj's picture. the problem with seeing little pictures of pollock's paintings on a bad computer screen connected to the 72dpi interwebs is that it gives us a false idea of the impact and power of these pieces as they exist in the physical world.

mark rothko often suffers the same fate, dismissed as a hack when reduced to postcards and tiny internet pictures-- his paintings are massive in scale, like some sort of 20th century menhirs, and their religious power only works when you stand in front of them and face them with your own eyes.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:18 PM   #223
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
excuse me but have you ever seen a painting by Pollock for realz like in a museum n' shit?

You're saying I'll feel differently if I did? Like the meaning behind the painting will leap out and rape me or something?
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:19 PM   #224
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
so do you like any art at all?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:20 PM   #225
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
You're saying I'll feel differently if I did? Like the meaning behind the painting will leap out and rape me or something?

yes.

you should get out of your mother's basement and go get raped by art.

that is provided there is an orifice in your skull where art's penis could enter.

otherwise you could just end up with a very bad bruise on your forehead and just as dumb as you started.
Old 01.06.2010, 01:21 PM   #226
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i was going to address this after skuj's picture. the problem with seeing little pictures of pollock's paintings on a bad computer screen connected to the 72dpi interwebs is that it gives us a false idea of the impact and power of these pieces as they exist in the physical world.

mark rothko offer suffers the same fate, dismissed as a hack when reduced to postcards and tiny internet pictures-- his paintings are massive in scale, like some sort of 20th century menhirs, and their religious power only works when you stand in front of them and face them with your own eyes.

You don't need to restrict that sort of statement to 'modern' (that term seem oxymoronic today) painters either - the Sistine Chapel, the Pieta, Van Gogh, the aforementioned Carvaggio [etc] - all fail on the computer screen.

For years I thought I disliked Warhol until I saw his stuff in situ in a gallery. I still have massive qualms about him, but it makes legions more sense in its 'proper context' than it does reproduced in a book or on a screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:26 PM   #227
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a fan of Art Deco, especially the architecture side of it.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:29 PM   #228
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
^I had a similar experience with Richter, couldn't really get into his more abstract paintings until i went to his exhibition and saw those paintigs in 3x5m..... magical.
That structures, hundrets of layers, details, etc.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 01:30 PM   #229
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
You don't need to restrict that sort of statement to 'modern' (that term seem oxymoronic today) painters either - the Sistine Chapel, the Pieta, Van Gogh, the aforementioned Carvaggio [etc] - all fail on the computer screen.

For years I thought I disliked Warhol until I saw his stuff in situ in a gallery. I still have massive qualms about him, but it makes legions more sense in its 'proper context' than it does reproduced in a book or on a screen.

Yeah, although I sometimes think with say Rothko that it's the physical size of his paintings that suggests their greatness far more than the paintings themselves. Not that scale can be seperated from the overall message of any painting. You get my drift though, I'm sure.
Old 01.06.2010, 01:33 PM   #230
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

of course, but fuck if i'm going to list here all the things that suffer from reduction-- some things suffer more than others and pollock and rothko suffer among the most. the sistine chapel, well, it's a space-- when the internet is HD holographic, maybe we'll see it better.

other things however tend to survive printing or photography relatively unscathed. there is this little painting by pietr de hooch that i love for its treatment of the light as it travels through a house, and while the interweb photos are not the same as the original, the colors are garish and vary wildly from photo to photo, they sufficiently trigger a response for me .

and since you mention caravaggio, that posted caravaggio looks amazing to me in spite of the quality loss. something about the faces and gestures that manages to survive electronic transmission.

kinda like steppenwolf and the radio (since someone quoted hesse above). yes, the little people can still be happy from listening to it.

we could go on and on about this, even discuss benjamin's concept of "aura", but i thought the object of posting here was to insult KIS so he'd fuck off?

anyway, speaking of fucking off, i should go get breakfast, it's almost noon. but nice talking with you.
Old 01.06.2010, 01:36 PM   #231
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
I'm a fan of Art Deco, especially the architecture side of it.

well you should go get raped by a skyscraper then. i hope it fits.

good day.
Old 01.06.2010, 01:36 PM   #232
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

don't be talkin shit bout rothko yo

hahaha

The Rothko chapel above, in Houston TX, is a perfect place to contemplate suicide.
Old 01.06.2010, 01:40 PM   #233
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

don't be talkin shit bout rothko yo

hahaha

The Rothko chapel above, in Houston TX, is a perfect place to contemplate suicide.

That's one of three places I'd like to visit in the USA.

Edit: 4.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 01.06.2010, 01:45 PM   #234
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I have experienced and know of friends who have experienced the iost wildly ranging reactions, emotional and psychological, to spending ten+ minutes in meditation at the Rothko Chapel.

Some people find it very liberating, the giant purple and black canvases perfectly "clearing" conscious thought, allowing for a type of euphoria in some people. others, the exact opposite happens. The space and the paintings act to expose the core of someone, in a very real way. I have friends who have gotten extremely agitated, as if the artworks are attacking them personally.
I have myself felt both profound sadness and grief, as well as uplifting clarity at the Rothko chapel.
My brother, who is by nature a sad and "dark" individual, cannot vist the Rothko chapel anymore becaus eit truly depresses him. It seems to open up inside him all his fear and sorrow at the state of the world, at how humans treat each other and the hopelessness of it, in his mind.
Old 01.06.2010, 01:46 PM   #235
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

if one looks at those purple/back paintings enough they begin to pulse and breath and expand and contract. never been there on any "influence."
Old 01.06.2010, 01:47 PM   #236
Glice
invito al cielo

You make them sound like penises.

Quote:
Old 01.06.2010, 01:48 PM   #237
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Yr brain makes everything you hear sound like penises!

are Penii that powerful? I must ask Lady Instigator
Old 01.06.2010, 01:50 PM   #238
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
^I had a similar experience with Richter, couldn't really get into his more abstract paintings until i went to his exhibition and saw those paintigs in 3x5m..... magical.
That structures, hundrets of layers, details, etc.

Yeah, prior to actually seeing Richter's paintings 'for real', I had what KIS might describe as a bit of a 'pseuds' appreciation of him, which came mostly out of books about his work. Seeing them for the first time in a gallery though was one of the most incredible experiences I've had looking at a group of paintings. It was his New Paintings exhibition in 1998. Amazing. Anyone who gets a chance to see the original of his Abstraktes-Bild, See painting, really really should. Utterly incredible.

Abstraktes-Bild, See (1997)

Old 01.06.2010, 01:51 PM   #239
Glice
invito al cielo

Is 'Lady' instigator a 'lady' in the same way as 'lady' Gaga?

Quote:
Old 01.06.2010, 01:54 PM   #240
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Is 'Lady' instigator a 'lady' in the same way as 'lady' Gaga?

She does not work the "Tuck Game" if that's what ya mean!
91011 12 13 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth