Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Protestant, Catholic or Orthodox?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.30.2009, 08:58 PM   #181
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
it's not really that good?
It's the spirit of the thread that now takes on a life of it's own.
It's a perfect example of your earlier comment: Religion is a private matter.
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2009, 09:03 PM   #182
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Religion should be a private matter.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2009, 09:10 PM   #183
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsygrrl
It's the spirit of the thread that now takes on a life of it's own.
It's a perfect example of your earlier comment: Religion is a private matter.

yes that's what we were discussing.
discussing. ideally, in a non-personal way.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2009, 09:18 PM   #184
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
only new thing i learned from this thread is that knox is a massive prick.

repped hip priest, glice, and fltngslwly along the way though.

and suchfriends, God is the Bible, dawg. John 1:1... i don't even have to look that up

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2009, 09:23 PM   #185
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
i enjoy discussing stuff, so thanks.

Old 12.30.2009, 10:21 PM   #186
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It's difficult discussing religion in an objective way. As has already been mentioned in terms of connections between church and state, a person's experience may well be informed by the extent of that relationship (either officially or otherwise) depending on where they are. Living in England I find christianity to be a fairly harmless benign force. It has next to no impact on my life so my views on it are quite moderate. I doubt that would be the case however if choices that I tend to take for granted such as abortion rights, same sex marriage, decisions surrounding who i can marry or even have a relationship with, etc, were suddenly in the hands of (or at least heavily influenced by) the church. I've found that people with the most moderate views on religion tend to be those living in largely secular countries.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2009, 10:27 PM   #187
knox
invito al cielo

I agree.

I don't have to agree with teaching children condoms don't work and preaching virginity in schools.

That does not make me intolerant towards religion and that does not make me a prick.

That just makes me realistic enough to know kids will always fuck.

Old 12.30.2009, 10:51 PM   #188
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I agree.

I don't have to agree with teaching children condoms don't work and preaching virginity in schools.

That does not make me intolerant towards religion and that does not make me a prick.

That just makes me realistic enough to know kids will always fuck.

you've been saying the same thing since like page 3... we get it, kids should fuck.

what public schools "preach virginity"?

Old 12.30.2009, 11:07 PM   #189
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
you've been saying the same thing since like page 3... we get it, kids should fuck.

what public schools "preach virginity"?

ay, republicans! always blind to reality!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,505647,00.html

that's 2009 cuz the DOE is no longer in repuke hands

of course the article features heavily the redneck states that are choosing to keep abstinence only as an "alternative track". it's faux-news anyway.

read, get informed, learned the crimes of your religulous-bent party

you're for palin 2012, right?

anyway, i'm just passing by, and i think calling knox a prick is a bit wrong since she's a woman, if you're going to chose epithets make them gender appropriate. just saying.

anyway, i'd pos-rep her for holding the fort in a reasonable manner, but i need to shoot more blanks first or something.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2009, 11:10 PM   #190
davenotdead
invito al cielo

don't like palin...

kids are pretty stupid either way, but if the abstinence thing is true yeah i didn't know about it

Old 12.31.2009, 12:59 AM   #191
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I read something by Chomsky recently where he was claiming himself as a left-libertarian but I couldn't really work out what he meant by it.
Going back to this, I found this video interview of Chomsky were he explains the historical situation of this left libertarian idea. Fortunately, Chomsky avoids attempting the interviewer's question to connect his linguistics with his politics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgWVZUD3pKE

Also, I should mention, I wasn't looking for this (in fact I hadn't seen it before) nor any Chomsky video but just kind of came across it. Again, I've been leaning that way, though skeptical as always.
Old 12.31.2009, 04:35 AM   #192
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Religion should be a private matter.

edit: I misquoted pbradley here, so to anyone who thinks religion should be a private matter:

Why?

Why should religion, or politics, or philosophy, or scientific views, or national identity, or anything else, be a private matter?

Why should people have the right to stop me, or you, stating who we are?

Why can we all not have the freedom to state what we are, defend that position if necessary, and then tolerate (and maybe question) the position of others?

And, especially, why do I keep reading that people should keep religion to themselves, even when it promotes kindness and tolerance, yet see aggressive and abusive anti-religious statements go without comment?

And in the case of Christianity, whether anyone likes it or not, it's not really possible to keep it to oneself. We are told to spread the word, either by word itself or by living a life that is a god example to others.

In what way is anyone entitled to run around insisting that people keep their thoughts peivate?

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.31.2009, 05:01 AM   #193
pbradley
invito al cielo

I was caveatting the previous post which was making a descriptive statement of a prescriptive. It is not my statement. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear with a quote.

Though, if you are taking something from where I described myself as 'religiously quietist,' I should have said something more along the lines of spiritually quietist (which may lead one to suspect me of hypocrisy for describing myself as leftist but I'd argue that its maintained through my position as favoring metaphysical absurdism and, more directly, ethical sentimentalism).
Old 12.31.2009, 05:13 AM   #194
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
My mistake then. Sorry.

Old 12.31.2009, 05:51 AM   #195
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
edit: I misquoted pbradley here, so to anyone who thinks religion should be a private matter:

Why?

Why should religion, or politics, or philosophy, or scientific views, or national identity, or anything else, be a private matter?

Why should people have the right to stop me, or you, stating who we are?

Why can we all not have the freedom to state what we are, defend that position if necessary, and then tolerate (and maybe question) the position of others?

And, especially, why do I keep reading that people should keep religion to themselves, even when it promotes kindness and tolerance, yet see aggressive and abusive anti-religious statements go without comment?

And in the case of Christianity, whether anyone likes it or not, it's not really possible to keep it to oneself. We are told to spread the word, either by word itself or by living a life that is a god example to others.

In what way is anyone entitled to run around insisting that people keep their thoughts peivate?

If that's about me, I gotta stop being misunderstood. By being a private matter, i didn't necessarily mean you gotta keep it to yourself. I basically meant religion has to stay away from making decisions in politics, laws, work, school, institutions that we all share. I also think that attacking or discriminating someone because they don't agree with your religious beliefs should be taken more seriously, you know, all in order to promote tolerance in a free democratic state.

We gotta cherish the right to have whatever beliefs we want, so I have to protect that right for everyone else. When I am making decisions that will act outside my religious sphere or community, I gotta put it aside out of respect for that free democracy.

It's really funny how people keep twisting my words. I never say kids SHOULD fuck. I said they will. And it's their right to be educated about their bodies and how to protect themselves. Abstinence can't be taught, it is not information, it is a choice. Proper education doesn't stop anyone from keeping their virginity if they want to do so.

However, that was only an example to illustrate how religious bias in making decisions can affect people in general.

and if someone's a republican, it seems obvious they'd think I'm a prick or whatever.

Old 12.31.2009, 06:43 AM   #196
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Going back to this, I found this video interview of Chomsky were he explains the historical situation of this left libertarian idea. Fortunately, Chomsky avoids attempting the interviewer's question to connect his linguistics with his politics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgWVZUD3pKE

Also, I should mention, I wasn't looking for this (in fact I hadn't seen it before) nor any Chomsky video but just kind of came across it. Again, I've been leaning that way, though skeptical as always.

Thanks. A really interesting interview. I tend to blow hot and cold over Chomsky but I was pleased to see that he hasn't changed his hairstyle in thirty years. I'm also glad that he brought up the differences between an American liberalism and the current European one, a difference that often makes trans-atlantic discussions on the topic quite difficult. Again, thanks for the link.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.31.2009, 11:04 AM   #197
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
worship this my brethren...........
Old 12.31.2009, 11:28 AM   #198
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
If that's about me, I gotta stop being misunderstood. By being a private matter, i didn't necessarily mean you gotta keep it to yourself. I basically meant religion has to stay away from making decisions in politics, laws, work, school, institutions that we all share. I also think that attacking or discriminating someone because they don't agree with your religious beliefs should be taken more seriously, you know, all in order to promote tolerance in a free democratic state.

We gotta cherish the right to have whatever beliefs we want, so I have to protect that right for everyone else. When I am making decisions that will act outside my religious sphere or community, I gotta put it aside out of respect for that free democracy.

It's really funny how people keep twisting my words. I never say kids SHOULD fuck. I said they will. And it's their right to be educated about their bodies and how to protect themselves. Abstinence can't be taught, it is not information, it is a choice. Proper education doesn't stop anyone from keeping their virginity if they want to do so.

However, that was only an example to illustrate how religious bias in making decisions can affect people in general.

and if someone's a republican, it seems obvious they'd think I'm a prick or whatever.

I hope that last bit isn't true, because I don't see why a Republican should be intolerant either.

As for the general thing, it wasn't targeted at anyone specifically, just anyone who says that people shouldn't talk about their faith.

Thanks for your reply. I pretty much agree wholeheartedly with you.

Old 12.31.2009, 04:17 PM   #199
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Davenotdead is a dunce.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.31.2009, 04:41 PM   #200
pbradley
invito al cielo

Funny you would say such a thing because, from what I can tell, DND at his worst is comparable to you at your best.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth