Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I think I'm giving up bootlegs
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.13.2009, 10:34 AM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I've done this in the past, and then recently I started collecting bootlegs again. But now I think I'm gonna boycott them. That goes for unsanctioned mixtapes as well. I will get "official bootlegs" put out by bands. Or "official mixtapes" put out by artists. I just get sick of seeing my winamp bloated with random live shows and bootlegs full of poor quality tracks that have eventually been released officially elsewhere. I like the simplicity in hearing albums the way that the artist/etc have put them together, rather than a mishmash of outtakes and bsides strewn about by some fanboy. What are yr thoughts on this mighty msg board bards?
Old 02.13.2009, 10:39 AM   #2
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
ive about 7 thoughts..... the fifth being most relevent...

yeah i agree with yr shitty quality thingy but at the end of the day.. it is a bootleg and by the simple fact it is called a bootleg means it is...bootlegged so therefore its at the purchasers own risk...

many times was i ripped off by these fucks, cant think of a better word so fucks will do..... these fucks who sell those dayglo photocopied sleeved cassettes (im talking late 80s-mid 90s now kids...ask your parents what a cassette was) and getting them home to realise you were sold 90 minutes of the new merzbow unplugged album..ie....silence!!!

in saying that i have some mega gems from that time in storage in the attic...somewhere.....

so in conclusion id say away with the criminals...bring back hanging....its fine for the indians but no, not for me....ill keep my fresh hip hop beats and slowly disperse amonst the flock to spread the word of our lord.....
Old 02.13.2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I like show bootlegs. Haven't listened to or downloaded any in a while though.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'll listen to the odd live show, but generally speaking, I'm not into any one band enough to merit seeking out non-sanctioned material, especially as that material is usually guff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2009, 10:49 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I care about captain beefheart soundboard shows and john fahey shows. That's about it.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2009, 11:04 AM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I guess I'm feeling that most of the time as cool as a boot might be, it ends up being non-essential to me. I have about 60 SY boots. But the only live shows I listen to tend to be Hold That Tiger, Continental Club, Venlo Holland, Blastic (IE: the official boots). I think because in my head it's like, those are the shows the band felt were special enough to share. So they mean more to me?

Then there's stuff like the Outcesticide series. Yes, it's pretty awesome. And yeah, I grew up with those. But then the boxset came out and sort of condensed the whole series into something more streamlined. No more multiple takes. SO how essential are those, really?

And I guess that happens a lot. You seek out these bootlegs, and eventually the really great ones get cleaned up and stripped of takes 11-359 of the same song. Eh. I don't know.
Old 02.13.2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going to revise my opinion a bit - radio sessions. There was a time when I was getting tapes of radio sessions an awful lot. The first two albums of Mogwai Peel/ Lamacq sessions/ live shows were mostly great, and a lot of them haven't surfaced. The first Melt Banana live show on Radio 1 - awesome. Faust in session on Peel in '99 or so - awesome. Obviously, these things re-surface for a lot of bands - the Peel sessions box set for the Fall, for instance. But there's a lot of stuff that gets (admittedly infrequent) spins from my tape collection. But that's more of a personal thing than anything, methinks. I can't be bothered with someone else's bootlegs, is what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2009, 12:04 PM   #8
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
I've been through periods of obsessively collecting/trading boots (I think I had every single Mogwai boot in circulation around '99/2000, and that was back when you had to trade tapes or CDRs to get 'em rather than just log on to Dime. Still got 'em all in a box somewhere for that matter), but these days I don't really bother too much - I grab the occasional one that's linked in the Dime announcements thread on here if it piques my interest, but for the most part I've always got such a backlog of other things to listen to, that a muffled recording of a so-so show doesn't hold much appeal.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth